Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped from my GT straight axle to an 03 cobra IRS. I have a vibration at 40 mph now. I was going to buy an aluminum driveshaft for a GT but isn't there a difference between GT driveshafts and Cobra DS's? I was told to look into viper DS's?
ALso, there seems to be a lot of slop, for lack of a better word, in the drivetrain when I engage and disengage the clutch followed by a slight clunk/thud from the rear. I was told this was normal with IRS suspensions? Is that true? I had the rearend up in the air last night and while in gear, I could turn both wheels a little ways, like they had some slack in there that wasn't present with my straight axle.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
No it shouldn't clunk or anything. It should be smoother than your Solid. The gears may be setup improperly or you have your driveshaft clocked wrong. Take you D/S off and turn it 90*, take it back out and drive it and see if it cleared it up. If it didn't...rotate it another 90* till the problem is solved. IF that doesn't solve it, check your gears being setup properly or check the balance on your tires or I guess it could be axles...

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are turning the rear wheel in the direction of trave and there is slop then it could be the ring and pinion adjusted wrong. If you are turning the rear wheel as if trying to steer the wheel side to side it could be bad tie rod ends or hub bearings. With the car lifted up and car in neutral turn the driveshaft side to side. How many degrees will it travel between solid connections?

Oh, and the pinion angle could be off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your help. I bought the pinion adjuster kit from MM and it fixed the vibration around 40mph, the clunk when shifting and the slop in the rear wheels. Happy as a pig in mud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.