Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a stock or built short block nitrous equipped 96-98 cobra? with the usual mod's and a nice tune can it be donw? anyone got a list of what it will take? Im trying to decide if I want a Cobra and whether I can make it fast enough to keep me happy without spending thousands on a blower setup..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not really a money issue, Ive got a built 90 Lx that i spent serious money one, its just my car on the spray is a 9 sec. ride but its NO fun to drive( manual steering/brakes/116 octane gas) thats why I want a streeet car I could spray and maybe run LOW 11's or high tens.. Is it possible, has anyone done it? or are these cars just not capable and Im wasting my time..:(

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not running low 11's or anything but...

I just finished putting a stock 01 cobra motor into my 98GT. It has at most 150 miles on it and I have already ran 11.49 on a 150 shot. Now I know that time is FAR from a 10 sec pass, but just thought I would throw it out there.

I think it is definetly possible to do what you want.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like your on your way to the 10's.. How well do the transmissions in these hold up? If I get the car it will end uyp with an automatic but I was curious as to the durability of the T45 being sprayed hard...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not sure about the tranny - I put a C4 in when I did the motor swap. I think it will last, but probably not for long.
With the old 2v I had I was running a decent size shot on a NOSzle kit and the stock t45 never gave me any problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
t-45 is garbage. same thing as a t-5 reliability wise. If you shift hard its going to break. Mines junk and I have 15,000 miles on the car. 10.90's is really easy to accomplish with these motors. However, like what was said, they are not cheap to build. Try for a tremec or a Viper 6 speed trans.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I thought I'd resurrect this thread since it seems the most appropriate one. (newbie questions) Holly's site lists the NOSzle "universal" kit for the 4.6L 2V engine. Does this mean it does not work on the 4V? Why isn't it listed? Anyone have this kit on a 4.6L DOHC 32V '96-'98 Cobra or know why it wouldn't work? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Judging from your screen name, you've got a relatively unique car compared to everyoe else here.

I'm a little unfamiliar with how much available room there is in the engien bay of the Panoz, but If I were to modify that car, I don't think that spraying it would be on the top of the list.

Given it's size and weight, I'd be much more inclined to start with bolt on's and a good set of cams. Or even a centrifugal blower...

Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
...thanks

As of right now, I'm exploring options. There's not much room, you're right. My initial thought's were port and polish heads, and go to a 3.73 rear. I'm not sure headers would help much since the only thing that fit would be shorty headers, maybe. I thought perhaps for a mild modification, I could probably do the same thing with a bit of nitrous, and the Holly NOS system seemed not to involve too much mechanical work. Because the car is so light and pretty quick already, I'm not looking for more than about 75 hp probably. In other words, I was thinking that instead of having a lot of mechanical work done, that I could reach the same end by adding a mild nitrous system for probably even less dollars. What do you think? BTW, the car's a blast!

Damage INC said:
Judging from your screen name, you've got a relatively unique car compared to everyoe else here.

I'm a little unfamiliar with how much available room there is in the engien bay of the Panoz, but If I were to modify that car, I don't think that spraying it would be on the top of the list.

Given it's size and weight, I'd be much more inclined to start with bolt on's and a good set of cams. Or even a centrifugal blower...

Dave

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well, the ultimate solution to that in my opinion would be to go with the shortie headers, other basic bolt-ons like pulleys and whatnot... and most importantly, a good set of N/A cams and a tune. This will essentially keep exactly the same amount of room underhood as when it was completely stock.

The only drawback to a really strong set of N/A cams is that you generally have to run a pretty narrow LCA (around 108) to really start making good power with them. This will result in a bit of a lopey idle (which is awesome, I think) and you'll probably have trouble passing any emissions tests on a dyno. Being as your car's OBDII however, you can just flash out the Rear Catalyst Monitors, and as long as the check engine light stays off, you'll pass the OBDII test and be on your way!

Like you mentioned though, given your car's lighter weight, the power gained from some good bolt ons and cams will wake that little thing up big time. And the big advantage of this is that the power is ALWAYS there, unlike with nitrous. But, with a good tune, there's no reason that your engine can't handle something like a 75 shot.

Another VERY cheap option would be to change rear end gearing, but I'm not exactly sure what the AIV uses for a rear end.

Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
4.6 mods

Thanks again. Yeah, you nailed probably my biggest reason to go with NA engine; it's always there. I also do like the idea that, outwardly, things look pretty much the same as original. I liked the NOS because it just seemed like a lot less work.

The AIV comes with, it seems to me, a pretty tall rear gear, 3.27. I would imagine switching to a 3.73 would be a pretty noticeable change and it seems to fit the high rev nature of the mod engine better. I had thought about underdrive pulleys also. That seems to be an easy mod for the return you get, both dollars and HP. Anyway, thanks for the input. As you say, for such a light car, I imagine that small changes will go a long way.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you don't mind, you should post some pics of your car. I'd love to see 'em if you've got any!!

And a 3.73 swap would probably be a great idea.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went 11.43 on a 150 shot of juice, and the block still had stock rods, and crank. Has JE pistons and the usual bolt ons, and a moderate tune, nothing fancy. I would say if you had a fully bult block with a good tune it is more than possible.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Pics-maybe

Well, I'll see if this works. I've not tried posting any pics here yet. These two pics were taken just after our first test drive in Ohio, where we bought it (Marshall Goldman Motor Sales and Leasing). I try to take some others soon (been distracted with driving it!!)

Damage INC said:
If you don't mind, you should post some pics of your car. I'd love to see 'em if you've got any!!

And a 3.73 swap would probably be a great idea.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does it have a 96-98 Cobra motor, or a 99/01 Cobra motor? If it has a 96-98, I would do a little Kenne-Bell 1.5L blower set at 6-8 psi, simple supporting mods like a tune/fuel pump, and some shorty headers. I wouldn't even touch it after that. Nitrous in a car that light, on street tires, would be a little dangerous to say the least. Plus, nitrous is very hard on the driveline because of the "shock" it gives (i would know). The car will put down about 360-400 rwhp and drivelike it was stock. When you get into cams, you often run into idle issues, OBD-II problems, etc, and it isn't worth the gains you'll get with a basically stock motor, which withh be minimal at best. A centrifugal blower is out of the question due to underhood space constraints, plus they won't be as fun on the street as a KB. The Kenne-Bell is awesome for mildly-modded cars and will make your Panoz feel like an AC Shelby Cobra with a 427 side-oiler.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Haha! That thing is wicked!

Have you had a chance to take the thing to a track and see what kind of times you can get out of it? I understand that it's not necessarily supposed to be a drag-racer given it's obvious road-course intentions...

Regardless, it's a beauty!

Dave

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
RippinSVT said:
Does it have a 96-98 Cobra motor, or a 99/01 Cobra motor? If it has a 96-98, I would do a little Kenne-Bell 1.5L blower set at 6-8 psi, simple supporting mods like a tune/fuel pump, and some shorty headers. I wouldn't even touch it after that. Nitrous in a car that light, on street tires, would be a little dangerous to say the least. Plus, nitrous is very hard on the driveline because of the "shock" it gives (i would know). The car will put down about 360-400 rwhp and drivelike it was stock. When you get into cams, you often run into idle issues, OBD-II problems, etc, and it isn't worth the gains you'll get with a basically stock motor, which withh be minimal at best. A centrifugal blower is out of the question due to underhood space constraints, plus they won't be as fun on the street as a KB. The Kenne-Bell is awesome for mildly-modded cars and will make your Panoz feel like an AC Shelby Cobra with a 427 side-oiler.
I considered mentioning that, but I honestly don't know how much room there is under the "hood" of that thing. The 1.5 doesn't really poke much higher than the factory intake but then again, God only knows how much available space there actually is. If it actually would fit, though, it would most definately be the way to go.

Dave

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Yeah Rippin, although the car's a '99, the engine block has what I assume is a build sticker on the left side under the exhaust manifold dated 05-13-98. Also, in response to some other questions to Panoz, they also told me it was a '98. I understand there were 10 AIVs made, special factory edition, with a supercharger but I've not been able to find out much more about that. I appreciate all the input here...good ideas. I've got plenty of time before I do anything and want to make sure I do it right, whatever it is.

RippinSVT said:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts