Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 cobra with 1600 miles with a belt slippage question. I noticed when you step on it there is a burning rubber smell imediately afterwards. This occures in higher gears as well so do not think it is the tires loosing traction. Could this be the belt slipping? The boost gauge read between 9-10 and there is no squealing noise.

·
400 Posts
Check your blower snout for excessive belt dust. This will indicate some slippage. If you dyno the car look for a dip in the fuel curve (to the rich side) that matches a dip in hp and tq. This will show you the exact rpm where you slippage accures.

Rick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep just have a K and N. The pulley cover I removed, trying to reduce weight. I will check to see if there is any dust. I have not had it dynoed, but will soon.

·
Registered
674 Posts
One thing to keep in mind...some guys splash their engines with water during washing. They'll then go out and drive their car. The belt/pulleys will be wet, leading to a potential slip condition (even with stock boost).

That innocent little slip doesn't sound like much, but the big problem is that once a belt slips, it is well-documented that the belt immediately loses 15-20% of its ability to tranfer power (belt surface becomes "polished" and produces less frictional force).

A rule of thumb could be: "Slip it once, throw it away".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to the dealer and they said the belt still looked good and did not expect any slippage. I guess it is possible the tires broke loose in 3rd, but I did not think this could happen since it is just stock with drop in K and N filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts