Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Is Bigger Really Better? Good Article!

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IUP99snake 
out of all the modifications that can be done to an engine, I find increasing displacement by increasing the bore or stroke to be the most interesting. I find the creative ways people have increased displacement in the modular motors to be the most interesting, being how difficult and limited the options are. 322 CI 4.6 based modular motors, or 358 CI 5.4 based motors are really awesome. I'd like to see a comparo article for these combinations as well.

Increasing the stroke has the added benefit of increasing torque, not only because of the increase in pure displacement, but because of the additional leverage the rods have on the swing of the crank. Think of it as changing gears on your 10 speed bike. Going with a smaller pedal pulley and a larger wheel pulley makes you pedal faster, but in slow speeds, you can pedal easier up hills.

Going forced induction will only compound the gains created by either increasing the bore or increasing the stroke (or both). An interesting side note, it would be neat to compare a 4.6 motor with a 5.3 BB stroker motor with the same exact pulley combination for either a centrifugal or twin screw blower. The larger motor will of course make more power, but I'll bet there'll be a drop in boost pressure. Increase the pulley size for both the small and large displacement variants, and you'll see a compounding effect.

Homer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.