Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a quick question for you. I have the usual 03 mods ( lightning pulley, Accufab throttle body, 9" filter and shield, Metco idler and Amazon Diablo chip) but still running the stock exhaust. My question is related to my trap speed in the quarter. The very best to date is 116mph (usually in the high 114mph to mid 115mph range) would a better exhaust help me to reach 120mph? The reason I ask is most of the other 03's here seem to be trapping 120mph plus with more or less the same mods, but with an aftermarket exhaust. I know I should change exhaust I just can't make up my mind what to get. Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions, snakecharmr99.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Your Stock exhaust is definately looseing you Trap speed..
I trapped 117.5 with similar setup,,If i powershifted i think i can trap about 120 also..

Track, Track Condition,Weather,How you shift all play a role.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
One of the great mysteries with my car, is that my catback only added 10 HP on the dyno. BUT

At the track, I went from a previous best of 118.11 (usually in the 117's) to 120+ on my first pass with the catback!

JT

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim and JT, thanks for the imput guys. You confirmed what I already suspected, just didn't want to be chasing my own tail for nothing. You both supplied real world data to help validate real world conclusions. I know that I don't drive that well and I don't powershift, but I thought an exhaust would help. Guess it's time to pull out the Visa and the wrenches, LOL. Thanks again guys, hope to see you guys at an event soon, snakecharmr99.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Trap speed is related to HP.....................on the top end, and you will need more than a Lightning pulley to get you there. You are talking about 4 MPH or bettter.....and that is alot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As you can see in my sig I trapped 119+ with just a Lightning pulley, UPR CAI, JL Diablo chip, TR6s, catted Bassani X-pipe and Bassani cat-back. I have no other mods...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well to tell you the truth I don't know what to believe anymore. I see guys with L pullies making 14-15 lbs. of boost, guys 2.80 making 16-17 lbs of boost, guy running trap speeds over 120 with 450 RWHP...................just don't know anymore.......I guess we all can be what we want to be on the computer.....no flame on you or those reading this, but if you been reading at this for a while you just have to start wondering what is real anymore.:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
13.25 lbs to 14 lbs depending on barometric pressure and temps..

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
And I have a 2.75 with idlers and never see more than 13.5 and that is rare. 13 is more than likely..............sure wish there was an answer for all these numbers. With 13 or less I make on a safe tune 472 RWHP 484 RWTQ

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Chill your longtubes arent helping your case for boost, I put just an offroad X on my car and noticed at least a pound of boost loss with longtubes I am sure you have lost at least a pound of boost

·
Registered
138 Posts
LONGTUBES

YOU CAN GO JUST AS FAST AND MAKE JUST AS MUCH POWER WITH LESS BOOST.

MORE BOOST EQUALS MORE HEAT IN A LESS EFFICIENT ENGINE
JOE

·
Registered
105 Posts
This was taken at 1000 miles, prior to a full engine break-in. I now have 14K and it feels significantly stronger since the dyno session. I've been meaning to dyno again...

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
So is there a firm answer to this??????? I think I understand more air in more out is better reguardless of the boost. It also makes since about the long tubes. I am going to dyno again as soon as I get the new improved idlers and we will see how that looks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Snakecharmr99,

I think the key with you lower mph is the fact that you still have the very restrictive stock exhaust. Replace at least the cat-back and you should see your mph and et improve.

I also agree with JT in that the stock h-pipe is not as restrictive as one might think. I have a 2.80, CAI, chip, and cat-back and have managed a 119 mph without powershifting. I don't think I will have an issue breaking into the 120+ without changing anything, and just more practice. I am first trying to get the car to go as quick as possible using stock rubber. Driving is everything with these cars.

Change your Cat-Back, and head back out to the track and see what you muster. With some practice, I think you will be surprised at what you can do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts