Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the crankcase vent filter and I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if it is worth doing? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to plug up the hole in the intake tube. See pic (not my engine)

Attachments

G

·
I saw Jim D'Amore's car a few months back and his breather was on the drivers side of the car and that vent tube on the passenger side was all hooked up stock. Seemed like the way to go to me.

Just a thought,
Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info harry. N Pete also has the filter on the driver side. Some people mentioned that this would lean the car out. But I was under the impression that the air coming through the filter into the crankcase would not get sucked into the combustion chamber. Also, someone mentioned that I would smell a lot of fumes. But I noticed N Pete has the filter on the drivers side in place of the oil cap, but the passenger side was stock. So maybe thats the side to go with. I just though that you didn't want the oil getting sucked through the TB?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I beleive the tube is to releave the crank case of pressure, not put air in it.

But i could be wrong! That would be a first :p

·
Registered
661 Posts
The filter is to relieve the pressure, It dose not susk in , it may if you have a crank case pump. IE: evacuation pump. good thing to invest in :) I will install one next week, Nitro secret.:) 15+ hp @ 20lbs boost
You need the hose on the other side to help suck down the crank case, the blower creates a lot of CK pressuer, nitro:shocked

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pete, I think you'll agree that by running w/ an open air filter on the drivers side valvecover and keeping the air inlet hose connection on the passenger side allows some of the air that has been metered by the Mass Air Meter to never reach the cylinders. This is not necessarily a bad thing if your dyno tune is done w/ that config but if your tuned w/ a closed crankcase and then pop a filter on the drivers side VC only, you risk running too rich..?

Jerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
If the PCV valve is still connected to the vavle cover & vented into the back of the SC, I would think that unmetered air would be drawn into the engine. If the PCV valve is removed from the valve cover & the hose running to the back of the SC plugged, then no air will be sucked into the engine.

Hey Pete,
If you go with a VaccuPump, you'll have to disconnect & plug the passenger side rubber hose & put another breather in it's place, right? Otherwise you'll be "vacuuming" metered air before it gets a chance to reach the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pete: Can you comment on your current crankcase venting?

If it is true that you have a filter on the drivers-side only, then when you are pulling a vacuum at the t/b....air will be pulled thru that drivers-side filter, down thru the crankcase, up thru the passenger-side tube (shown in the first pic above) and into the intake right behind the MAF, which means un-metered air and a potentially lean condition.

Am I missing something?

Is there any truth to JDM's claim that venting the crankcase directly to the atmosphere will lead to an ECM code?

·
Registered
459 Posts
mosconiac said:
If it is true that you have a filter on the drivers-side only, then when you are pulling a vacuum at the t/b....air will be pulled thru that drivers-side filter, down thru the crankcase, up thru the passenger-side tube (shown in the first pic above) and into the intake right behind the MAF, which means un-metered air and a potentially lean condition.
DOH! Sorry, that was the correct flow of air that I tried to describe, only I got it backward!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts