Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 9:45 tonight the engine started. I had some issues with the Sniper software (software issues - it helps to be a software engineer with their software). Once that was solved (and I found the fuse I forgot to install to power the PCM!), it fired right up. No leaks, oil pressure at about 90 psi, smooth idle - and loud - straight pipes.

Tomorrow I'll tweak it and then off to get the exhaust done. My wife's birthday is next Friday and she says we WILL drive it on her birthday.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats man!! Lets see a vid of it now! lol I keep searching this forum for the info i need, but mostly i search for that drive. The drive to keep me going on my build. I havn't really found many vids of peoples finished cars though. Congrats again!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it all wrong - it's a Frankenmotor. 93 Mark VIII Teksid block, 01 Cobra crank, heads, cams, wiring harness, PCM, 03 Mach 1 intake, 06 GT transmission. I definitely should have bought a donor car. It would have been much cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At 9:45 tonight the engine started. I had some issues with the Sniper software (software issues - it helps to be a software engineer with their software). Once that was solved (and I found the fuse I forgot to install to power the PCM!), it fired right up. No leaks, oil pressure at about 90 psi, smooth idle - and loud - straight pipes.

Tomorrow I'll tweak it and then off to get the exhaust done. My wife's birthday is next Friday and she says we WILL drive it on her birthday.
Looks GOOD!!:good: What front suspension setup did you use? What about your brake booster setup? Any clearance issues with the booster?

Congrats man!! Lets see a vid of it now! lol I keep searching this forum for the info i need, but mostly i search for that drive. The drive to keep me going on my build. I havn't really found many vids of peoples finished cars though. Congrats again!
I'm the same way. I bought my car a year ago and still haven't touched it, but seeing pictures like this keeps my drive going to build it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a Heidt's M2 suspension. The brake booster is from a Fox Mustang (89 I think) and the master cylinder is from a 96 Explorer (so the line exit the driver's side). The engine is offset about 3/4" to the passenger side to provide more clearance for the master cylinder.

·
Registered
396 Posts
awesome job Man !

I've done a couple of crazy swaps myself, but I am thinking on doing something really really crazy using a Modular engine that most people will tell me I am crazy and not to do it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I have been driving it whenever I can. Took it to a couple of larger cruise-ins (75-100 cars) recently and it got a lot of attention and lots of questions.

I have most of the bugs worked out, most of the trim on and all that. It's just about done. I need to get some new pics on the cardomain site.

I scored a Vortech V2 blower head unit on ebay for $305 and I ordered new mounting hardware, oil lines and all that (I already had some of the air plumbing). A welder friend is going to help me fabricate the coolant crossover (they want $450 for that goofy thing!). If the blower works like the guy said I should have the whole thing going for less than $900 (a lot less than the $3K+ for a new kit). If it needs rebuilt, it'll still be a pretty cheap setup. I am going to run it mild with about 8 lb of boost - should make about 450 HP at the flywheel (more than enough for a 3000 lb car with an old guy driving)!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I rigged up a cheap solution for now (since the blower is going on soon). The tube is from a 98 Mark VIII (like the one in your pic). I cut it off and put in a 4" 45 deg piece from (ARGH!! - boy racer) Spectre and used their 4" clamps. It then goes into a 90mm Lightning MAF. On the intake side of the MAF I used a Spectre 4" air filter adapter into a C&L filter (best buy around - $40 for a replacement filter that flows over 1000 CFM). Total cost was a little over $100. I did cut 1" off each end of the 45 piece since the whole assembly was too long. If you are using an 80mm Cobra MAF you could probably use 3 1/2" 45 elbow and clamps, but still get the 4" air filter adapter if using the C&L.

More info on this page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2971175/14http://www.cardomain.com/my/edit_page?page_id=2971175

·
Registered
30 Posts
I rigged up a cheap solution for now (since the blower is going on soon). The tube is from a 98 Mark VIII (like the one in your pic). I cut it off and put in a 4" 45 deg piece from (ARGH!! - boy racer) Spectre and used their 4" clamps. It then goes into a 90mm Lightning MAF. On the intake side of the MAF I used a Spectre 4" air filter adapter into a C&L filter (best buy around - $40 for a replacement filter that flows over 1000 CFM). Total cost was a little over $100. I did cut 1" off each end of the 45 piece since the whole assembly was too long. If you are using an 80mm Cobra MAF you could probably use 3 1/2" 45 elbow and clamps, but still get the 4" air filter adapter if using the C&L.

More info on this page:
http://www.cardomain.com/my/edit_page?page_id=2971175
Where did you plumb the IAT (Intake Air Temperature Sensor)? Also the link did not work for me...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The AIT sensor goes on the MarkVIII tube near the throttle body, right next to the PCV vent tube.

I did use MarkVIII valve covers and the PCV vent is on the back of the passenger side cover (on the Cobras it's on the front), so you may have to add some hose if you use the MarkVIII tube with Cobra covers (or put a hole in the tube near the Cobra vent). You should also be able to cut the 98 Cobra tube and do what I did, but you will lose the AIT hole, and maybe the PCV vent hole too if you cut it too short (I have one of those but didn't want to cut it just yet since people want to buy those!).

Sorry about the link - try this one (really just a few more pics):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2971175/14

1 - 18 of 18 Posts