Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put a new tune in the Cobra and lowered the boost from 21 to 17psi so I can have some fun on drag radials with the Supra's later this month. Tune was super rich at 11:1 with 15deg of timing and it pulled like a son of a bitch. Well on the way to work, I did a 3rd gear 60mph roll and it spun all the way to about 6000 rpm then hooked real hard and felt strong. 500 ft later I'm coming to a stop and there's a ton of noise coming from under the car.. sounds like loud metallic squealing then the car shut off on me. I tried to start it but somehow the battery was dead. Got it towed to the shop.

Next day, upon first inspection we noticed that crank pulley was wobbling while the car was running, so we took that apart and started the car. Same loud, squeal/rattle noise. We took off the accessory belt as well and turned the motor, the balancer was still wobbling and you could hear a small "clicking" noise each time the motor was turned. Sounded almost like a dead cylinder so we did a compression test. Came back perfect.. 150 across all cylinders. We can't find the noise but it does sound internal, so the motor has to come out. I'm thinking either the crank snapped at an angle or the crank/rod bearing is spun.. I've never heard the sound before. It's like a squeal with some clanking and rattling. Either way it doesn't sound good. The motor has 2000 miles on it but hey, shit happens.

I remember reading about how blowers put alot of stress on the crank. About a month ago I heard a strange tapping noise coming from the motor, and it turned out to be the lower pulley hub was loose (the one that bolts to the crank). We tightened it up and 2 weeks later it loosened up again. Well when we took the hub off, I could see that the holes for the hub to the crank, had started to eat away. The thread from he bolts had been engraved into the hub on 2 holes and they looked like they were being tugged at. Now, the lower pulley kit itself is about 3-4 years old and never been replaced and never gave me a problem. I don't think that was the cause of my problem but I just wanted to comment on that.

Either way, it's turbo time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
stock lower pulleys ftw!. im comming out of a ported eaton, big shot combo and im going turbo now as well. You going single twin? Are you buying a kit or doing a custom kit?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there was room to fit a BIG ASS single on there, that's the route I'd go, but I don't think there is. Right now I'm trying to figure out exactly the cost of fabbing one up or just getting one from a vendor. I like the HPP kit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh. I want to do two billet 62's but I just found a really good deal on a barely used non-billet 76 so I might just go single.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well it looks as though the economy is hurting you any. Did you get a your Obama savior stimulus payment or something?lol

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Damn Wally sorry to hear about this man.

I would do the HPP kit or get something custom fabbed. Big downpipes, the most gradual bends you can make and the shortest possible pipe routing. It will be efficient and hopefully make you killer power to run with those supra's.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So let me just confirm this:

Aftermarket lower pulley correct?

When I went to HPP to get tuned, they had THREE blown motors laying there ALL of which were running aftermarket lowers and ALL of them had "severe crank failure." Those things are garbage, and it surprises me that people still run them, even after they read threads like this. Sorry for your loss, but it seems like your plan will be a nice one :)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
So let me just confirm this:

Aftermarket lower pulley correct?

When I went to HPP to get tuned, they had THREE blown motors laying there ALL of which were running aftermarket lowers and ALL of them had "severe crank failure." Those things are garbage, and it surprises me that people still run them, even after they read threads like this. Sorry for your loss, but it seems like your plan will be a nice one :)
knock on wood, but I have been running a lower pulley setup from Metco for over 50,000kms now. Most of those miles were with an eaton and 6lb and 8lb lower rings. I have had a 6.55" Metco ring on with my 3.4 for over 6000kms now.

·
Boost-aholic
2,821 Posts
I think it is only the people from Texas that are having problems with the lower pulley kits. :dunno2:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it looks as though the economy is hurting you any. Did you get a your Obama savior stimulus payment or something?lol
LOL you gotta do what you gotta do.

To stimulate the economy, if you have the money go out there and spend it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts