Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's awesome, and everything I expected to be. I've been tuning for a long time now so it's nothing new to me, but the sections are layed out very well and there's every parameter I would need and then some. To top that off, there's descriptions for most values and suggested settings based on what you are trying to accomplish. I think this software is going to blow away the industry.

Brian

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I assume SCT is the superchips tuning software?

From what I read it looks promising. I wondering how it will be priced. I have a pretty good tune (Superchip) now and wouldn't want to spend boat loads of money for a minor improvement.

If I make big changes, i guess I'll spring for a wideband and one of the "home tuning" solutions. This one sounds like it will be more flexible ( and potentially more dangerous) than the Predator.

JT

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be extremly useful for dynos and speed shops, but I am not sure how good any home tuning kit will be for the end user. The problem is that people tend to get greedy for power and if you aren't careful with timing it wouldn't be hard to scatter a motor. Plus you need to really load a car in 4th gear to get the timing right, and without a dyno that would be a scarry wideband experience.

The software looks like it would be pretty easy for any motor head/computer geek to pick up and get a car running. But like I said, for individuals you would need to really pay attention when tuning your own car. A lot of people don't even read instructions, and if you aren't careful you can hurt a car. Plus even though the software gives you the means to get a car running, there are still some advantages to taking your car to an experienced tuner to get all of the bugs worked out.

From my standpoint, I think this will end up giving everyone a lot more local options for getting their car tuned.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I agree, one of the things I think would be the biggest advantage is to make runs at the track with a datalog including a/f. I think we could really nail down what make these cars run their best.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That I agree with, there's a lot of intresting things that come up when you log all 4 gears. That's how we have found some problems with factory tank setups on certain vehicles as well as other items to be addressed.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Brian, I assume you're insinuating that you will turn to using this for tuning, or will you still use your software, or both?

Before you make a final decision, you should try Revolution soon. There will be some pretty interesting things to happen in the next few weeks, keep in mind ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do we have any dates yet on release ? I'm a home tuner but I actually know what I'm doing. WB02 will be here mid october so I need some tuning capabilities.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I believe the SCT stuff will be out next month. What I have is an actual copy (not the demo) and it appears as if it's ready for production. The folks over there at SCT asked me to review it and provide input since we do our own Independant tuning and have a good grip on this stuff.

As for what I am going to use we haven't decided yet. What we use right now is effective, but it appears that the SCT may have similar controls but let you write files faster. I am still going thru it, but I am very impressed at this point. I don't really need all of the explinations they provide, but for some people that will come in handy.

I supposed I would be open to look at the diablo software, but it would need to be very powerful to fit our needs. I've reviewed the autologic stuff in the past and there just isn't enough control in that, and they've missed several significant values that are important. Some are because the autologic stuff is only 1 bank and you can't reach things like PID controller settings or injector values on certain vehicles, but you can't even change the axle ratio in the autologic software I looked at that, and I know that's located in bank 1.

I'll have to look at the chipmaster stuff and see. The SCT stuff lets you add spark advance for each cylinder and get all of the axis normalizers as well as a ton of ISC controls and automatic transmission stuff that I consider real important. From a functionality standpoint it's going to be hard to convince me that somthing better is out there until I actually see it.

For example, one thing I really like is that you can save values from one tune that you made, and then you can paste those into another calibration. If I wrote a whole calibration for a supercharged 5-speed 99-up GT I can save everything I changed and just dump that into files I open up for other computer codes. It's a quick way to make a program that you can then use on all catch codes for that configuration, regardless of strategy.

All this new software, all it's going to do is make life a little easier for me!

Brian

·
Registered
352 Posts
bjherron said:
I believe the SCT stuff will be out next month. What I have is an actual copy (not the demo) and it appears as if it's ready for production. The folks over there at SCT asked me to review it and provide input since we do our own Independant tuning and have a good grip on this stuff.

As for what I am going to use we haven't decided yet. What we use right now is effective, but it appears that the SCT may have similar controls but let you write files faster. I am still going thru it, but I am very impressed at this point. I don't really need all of the explinations they provide, but for some people that will come in handy.

I supposed I would be open to look at the diablo software, but it would need to be very powerful to fit our needs. I've reviewed the autologic stuff in the past and there just isn't enough control in that, and they've missed several significant values that are important. Some are because the autologic stuff is only 1 bank and you can't reach things like PID controller settings or injector values on certain vehicles, but you can't even change the axle ratio in the autologic software I looked at that, and I know that's located in bank 1.

I'll have to look at the chipmaster stuff and see. The SCT stuff lets you add spark advance for each cylinder and get all of the axis normalizers as well as a ton of ISC controls and automatic transmission stuff that I consider real important. From a functionality standpoint it's going to be hard to convince me that somthing better is out there until I actually see it.

For example, one thing I really like is that you can save values from one tune that you made, and then you can paste those into another calibration. If I wrote a whole calibration for a supercharged 5-speed 99-up GT I can save everything I changed and just dump that into files I open up for other computer codes. It's a quick way to make a program that you can then use on all catch codes for that configuration, regardless of strategy.

All this new software, all it's going to do is make life a little easier for me!

Brian
Im waiting for the alternatives myself. Just wondering the price packaging.

A note about axle ratio's with Autologic. As long as its a 99 up vehicle, you can change the axle ratio via computer to calibrate the speedo if thats what youre referring to.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
bjherron said:
The folks over there at SCT asked me to review it and provide input since we do our own Independant tuning and have a good grip on this stuff.

As for what I am going to use we haven't decided yet. What we use right now is effective, but it appears that the SCT may have similar controls but let you write files faster.
Brian, since you are already a Fordchip.com dealer, and use their software, I was just figuring that you would follow his lead and go with the Superchips software, since DiabloSport will not be supplying Jerry with the black Revolution chips anymore (for obvious reasons), which will keep you from acquiring anymore DiabloSport hardware as well, unless you ended up switching to the Chipmaster-Revolution software. I would highly consider talking to Nick about Revolution, as I'm sure he would value your call.

Kind Regards,

James

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Brian, since you are already a Fordchip.com dealer, and use their software, I was just figuring that you would follow his lead and go with the Superchips software, since DiabloSport will not be supplying him with the black Revolution chips anymore (for obvious reasons), which will keep you from acquiring anymore DiabloSport hardware as well, unless you ended up switching to the Chipmaster-Revolution software. I would highly consider talking to Nick about Revolution, as I'm sure he would value your call.
we are not a fordchip dealer but we do work with fordchip and several other tuning companies. Like us fordchip is another company that does custom tuning, but they are not a software distributor or support vendor. At this point the purpose of the post was to discuss the SCT software and answer any questions that people have that I can field since I was sent a full version.

As far the future software and chip path for Apten, that is not somthing that matters at all to this thread. You can be assured we will be using somthing that is not available to the common user, and it will suit our needs. What we use now isn't available to anyone else and so far it has proven to be better than any current tuning product out there. Regardless of the software, I still believe that experience and skill play an important part in tuning any high HP car regardless of the interface used. My reason for this post was to point out some features of the new SCT software that I believe will be helpful for those that want to get into tuning. I think there are quite a few people that have us witness us acutally "Tuning" their KB and turbo cobras and I thought they would value our input.

I think at this point to keep the thread on track we should keep it about the SCT software and let anyone who wants to ask questions ask them about the software. I respect your posts and I always am careful to keep any conflicted intrests free from them. We are a professional tuning company and I don't think this forum is the outlet we want to discuss or speculate on our own private relationships or future business decisions. If you would like to discuss this any further I welcome a private message or e-mail.

Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts