Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off of the phone with Jim D'Amore earlier. I was at his shop last week while he was doing 'his thing' to the Eaton case on his Black 03.

He only ported one side of the blower case and that, along with his cams in the car, made some incredible dyno numbers after tuned in.

560 RWHP, 630 RWTQ!!

This with stock Eaton is impressive. Jim said that he's expecting much more with the new Magnum unit.

Just wanted to share the exciting info that I was given.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So how is this going to work.........is he just going to be selling the housing and then we swap out the rotors ourselves? I cant see the housing being more than a 1000 bucks. Im hoping it is a lot lower but I was just curious what they are going to do with that?
Andrew

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't want to speak for JDM (because I may have this information wrong) but this is my understanding:

They are not going to offer 'porting services' for existing Eaton units. I know that it is an enormous amount of time and labor and Jim was doing this on his car as R&D. Perhaps those who live local and are willing to leave their cars for some time could talk him into it? I have no idea if he is willing or if it's worth it based on the labor costs...I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS!!!!!

But what I do know is that he will soon have the Magnum replacement blower available for purchase, which is a bolt-on unit and has all of the porting (case flow optimization) already intact.

And Jim expressed to me that he feels this is worth much more than the hand porting work that he just did on his car (he just released it for the Ligntning and it was worth big power...and he's flooded with orders for the trucks. He expects siimilar or better for the Cobras).

I think that I remember him saying that the price would be well under $2,000 for this replacement Magnum unit.

If I am wrong about any of this I am sure I'll get a phone call any second. Just trying to get the info out there to the inquiring minds.

;)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I believe the Magnum Case is a bit larger and flows more are..By porting the Eaton and getting those results,It shows that the Magnum will make more power then the Stock Eaton.
Hopefully it will show good results and this option will be available soon.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
I believe the Magnum Case is a bit larger and flows more are..By porting the Eaton and getting those results,It shows that the Magnum will make more power then the Stock Eaton.
Hopefully we will have good results and this optio will be available soon.
I hate it when Jimmy and I post at the same time!

Department of Redundancy Department

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
One way or they other, their r&d is awesome!! Can't wait for the cams to start selling and porting the eaton or the other new case really sounds interesting!! Thanks for the update! Hear anything else on the cams??

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sambandit said:
One way or they other, their r&d is awesome!! Can't wait for the cams to start selling and porting the eaton or the other new case really sounds interesting!! Thanks for the update! Hear anything else on the cams??
I'll tell you this: I don't hear ANYTHING with those cams. That is one of the impressive aspects of that project, IMO.

When doing the cams, the stock valve retainers are replaced with titanium ones. Well, apparently, the stock retainers cause all of the damn clicks, ticks and grinds because D'Amore's car is SILENT after the cam swap. And it had a pretty good tick before the cams.

The car ran an 11.1 with stock Eaton (unported), pullies, long tube headers and cams. That was in some pretty good heat and bad air. That says everything!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
My buddy has been portin on his blower for a while on his lightning and had some pretty good results. I guess the L dudes have been doing it for a while.

I know where to port, and what to block off, might try it this winter if I get bored.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Any ideas/thoughts on how much a low psi Cobra would gain with the porting? Say 12-14psi? Or is it only worth it for Eatons pushing 16-20psi? Any ideas on how much the porting helps keep the Heaton from heatsoaking as quickly, or help keep boost from dropping off in the upper RPMs?

I had been planning on adding a lower, but if I can get similar results by porting instead I'll try to go that route.

·
Registered
577 Posts
They had that Magnum blower in Project Icebox the MM&FF project Lightning, and let me tell you....when I was in the shop they dynoed that thing and the Magnum Powers blower is LOUD as $HIT.

AGain, like HAMMER said the new casing for the Eaton will be well under $2,000, Jim also told me that. He was painting the ported case for the Eaton that he was porting when HAMMER saw him, he didn't even know if it was going to do anything....LOOKS LIKE IT DID. He was also testing the new MSD Stacker 8 ignition, wonder if that's worth it.

Jim D'Amore is a wealth of information, it was a pleasure "picking his brain" for a few hours.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have alot of respect for JDM, they seem to be on top of the game right now in about every aspect. I need to do some business with them! These numbers are very impressive to say the least!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those are impressive numbers but, what other mods did the car have to go along with the ported Eaton case and the new cams? :confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts
ALLNTRL said:
Those are impressive numbers but, what other mods did the car have to go along with the ported Eaton case and the new cams? :confused:
That car is set up a lot like my 03. We even shared the same tune before the cams and such. :D

I believe Jim's car goes as follows:
Kooks Long Tubes(may be stepped I think) Catted H-pipe Magnaflow catback
Accufab TB and Plenum(I don't have this)
2.80 Upper(I have a 2.93) and a 6LB lower
JDM/Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
Metco Idlers
Now has the cams and blower.
I am sure Jim has few tricks up his sleeve that are not present on my car but I am trying to help you out by posting the majority of it. If I left anything out, I apologize, it is late and I need sleep! -Mat-

·
Registered
577 Posts
I could almost swear that he has a 6lb. lower pulley on that car too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry Mat, I was a bit bleary eyed at the time....:D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SolidSnake said:
He was also testing the new MSD Stacker 8 ignition, wonder if that's worth it.
He said it was about as useful as a rubber made of Swiss cheese.

I think that Julie is using it as a paper weight in the office now.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good to know that our stock ignition systems are up to the task, it sucks for Jim because Shaun did a SWEET stock looking install on the car. It took him almost the whole day to get the thing installed.

Hammer, stop ghosting, I need to talk to you man!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts