Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a decent welder, and wouldn't mind welding the tubes to the center section of my 8.8. Some people advise not to do it without a jig, while others claim to have cuccess without the use of a jig.

Would the jig be used to get the axle tubes straight prior to welding, or to KEEP it straight while applying the heat from welding?

Looking on other forums, people generally apply heat to the center section as it's thicker, prior to welding and divide each tube's circumference into six equal parts, then laying down a weld on every other section until you've gone all the way around, then do the same for the 3 remaining sections, with no cooling. Some even advise to torch the area afterwards to control the cooling to a slow, slow pace.

This sounds pretty easy with good metal prep and a bit of patience, anybody here use the DO-IT-YOURSELF approach? And if so, will this method work for me.

By the way, I've never once heard of a tube spinning in the housing, but I haven't looked real hard either, I just hope this isn't a huge waste of my time.

· Registered
1,689 Posts
Having it in a jig it always best, not all housings are straight even before welding. Welding the tubes to the housing helps them from deflecting and eventually bending during hard launches, an axle brace is a good idea too. I have a CHE axle brace and its a bolt on deal.

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did not know there was a "bolt on" solution to this.

· Registered
1,689 Posts
Thanks, I did not know there was a "bolt on" solution to this.
There are several axle brace options some bolt, some require welding mounting tabs, i have a bolt on brace as well as welded tubes. Over build it from the get go and you will save hassle down the road.

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
The axle brace and the tubes spinning in the housing are two different phenomena.

Some builders like to weld the tubes to the housing at the point of housing entry as well as through the holes in the housing to prevent in service tube rotation. If you do this and stitch weld on opposite sides of the tube until you have completed the entire circumference you should not experience warp. I have welded a Dana 60 in one continuous pass and did not warp it.

Where you should build a fixture for use is in welding on the flanges at the tube ends to insure proper alignment

An axle brace will prevent the axle tubes from bowing forward under acceleration or worse bowing the housing in a forward direction when you are under acceleration. It is a worth while addition to higher horsepower (supercharged) cars.

Ed

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on, I'm out to the garage to give it a try.

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, I'll tell you hoe it turns out guys. I got side-tracked yesterday and today, I'll try to get to it tomorrow though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.