Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to call you out Mr. V. but I was just wondering the approximate hp you ran on the stock bottom end and how long did the car last? When you built your forged engine was it because you had to or because you knew there was more power in store for the car? Thanks.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Call me Jimmy...Hey my Stock bottom end made 402rwhp420TQE through the Auto,,Car went [email protected] with 12lbs boost and ran fine..I upped boost to 14 lbs and blew a piston....
Moral of Story...Stock bottom end 12lbs and that's with good tune..
More boost needs forged internals..

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
doug97gt said:
Jimmy V is a class individual.

Doug
AHH,, thank's for those kind words Doug...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, Jimmy, with a good tune (Chris Johnson) would you feel comfortable running 12 lbs of boost? We all know horsepower is addictive and I just want to squeak out what I can until this winter when the new motor goes in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
micool,
ive got some friends who have been running about 12# of boost on their stock bottom end 01 GT since last summer. their car dont have the most hp, but the tune is safe and theyve taken it to the track numerous times. hasnt broke yet.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to be rude or anything but is there any way possible I can chat with JIMMY V.? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black01GT-
Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be some cars out there running 12 lbs. Chris Johnson at Johnson Motorsports tunes my car and he's got it pretty fat right now because of the stock internals. He feels comfortable with running 12 psi also but I wanted to get Jimmy Vs' opinion since he's done it before and I know there are a lot of guys on this board that have also. This is my first blower car so I'm learning as I go and any help is appreciated. Michael

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
micool said:
So, Jimmy, with a good tune (Chris Johnson) would you feel comfortable running 12 lbs of boost? We all know horsepower is addictive and I just want to squeak out what I can until this winter when the new motor goes in.
If i were you,,I'd take Chris's advice all cars are a bit different..You have an 03 with a bit more compression then a 99 or 00.Maybe a switch chip with 1 program for racing and better fuel..Then the other a soft tune for the street..
Chris is very capable with tunning for specific setups..

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The switch chip sounds like a good idea to me. The guy that referred me to JMS had one. JMS did tell me that the '03 cars were a little more difficult to get power out of so what your'e saying about the compression makes sense too. Thanks again for the advice. People like you help a lot of us that are new to the blower scene and that are looking for truthful info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts