Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about it and it looks promising so I wanted to ask a few questions. I searched and didn't find much so I figured to post what I know with some good picture I've found and see if we can get a good discussion going about this intake.

First the pictures:

Caption from JLP site - "Single Ram-Air Comes complete with 6" filter, box ,cover custom logo sticker, flex tubing to the fog light this kit also is deigned to remove the head light for more air flow."

Anyways with all that out of the way, I'd just like to know the real deal on this intake. I'm looking for better pictures of those who have installed in. Not exactly better but close(er) up on the quality and design. I'd like to know what people have been making to the wheels on a stock car or modded. I'd like to know how taking the headlight affects your et. I'd also like to know how exactly the fog light tube feed into the CAI on the fender side.

Thanks guys, lets see where this gets, also that isn't my car but thanks to whoever's it is for the great pictures. For those who don't know JLP is Johnny Lightning Performance and can be found at http://www.johnnylightningperf.com .

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
It looks like it would work to me...I know some guys running great times with it..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use it on my car. I have no data to back it up but in talking to Johnny when he tuned my car he gave the theory behind it. Some people don't like the way it looks and the lack of bling but I was more concerned about the performance.

Sorry I don't have any hard data.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Looks like it would be restrictive to me and the box is to little and the filter that is used is to small. I think it would work on cars that are making around 400 rwhp but on cars making 450 and up not sure. There are alot of guys making great pwr with it. I run Ricks kit from Anderson Ford it is a huge 12inch filter that also can suck air from the front. I also ran a piece of flex hose from the hole in the lower bumper up to the air filter , it works nice I checked it buy putting a fan in front of it and I can fell the air hitting the filter. Then I went to home depot and bought a nice sheet of aluminum and made a very nice heat shield. The shield is not right up against the filter so it wouldn't be restrictive. I believe that this is the best setup out there. My buddies car has the same mods as mine and chip tune and my car makes 20 rwhp more. He runs the upr kit with the wimpy filter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I run the JLP kit..i'm thinking of modifying the "box" to fit a 9" cone rather than the 6". As for results..i never took my car to the track when i had just a simple drop in 9".

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Xplicit said:
I run the JLP kit..i'm thinking of modifying the "box" to fit a 9" cone rather than the 6". As for results..i never took my car to the track when i had just a simple drop in 9".
On the Densecharger the9in cone made less power then the 6in..
I'd ask Johnny who designed it why he used a 6in..

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Could be at your power level a 9in or even 10in cone would help some..

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is my humble experience in the JLP Ram Air Camp. I have one of the first made and installed back in OCT 2002. Quality is top notch ! Installation was a brezze it took about 30 mins. Hardest part was getting underthe car to push cold air hose onto opening.

I ran it at Cecil in that evening. First run ever with this 03 Cobra and I put down a [email protected] with ET streets. 1 hour cool down in the lanes 53 degrees OAT.

Mods were:
2.93 upper
MagnaFlow Full system
Diablo Chip
JLP Ram Air

My next run was 1 hour later with same cool down procedure & No ice. The only change I made was pulling my passenger side Headlamp temp on the timeslip still 53 degrees.

I ran a [email protected]

One hour later temp still 53' and no other changes I ran a [email protected]

This past March I put a Kenne Bell on it and have made to runs shown in my sig. It is making plenty of power with 16-17#s and I feel alot more to ring out. I could use some launching practice and traction .

Over all I am very pleased with the JLP setup.

Just my .02 cents worth...

Jon L

·
Registered
117 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
On the Densecharger the9in cone made less power then the 6in..
I remember reading a discussion on this, someone stated, "Bigger isn't always better," in regards to a filter on a CAI..but a larger filter seems logistically better. I'll call'm up Monday.

Dustoff..great times :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I agree with envy, I think the ram air box may be restrictive as well as the small filter, I may buy the bigger open ended conical and see if it helps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys everyone has their opinions but JLP has been playing with Lightnings since they came out in 99. Until someone can prove Johnny wrong I am staying with what works.

FWIW I have 2.93 RR, JLP ramair, diablo flip chip, plugs, and QMP exhaust. No headers, no lower, no TB..... A friend of mine has 93 Supra TT hardtop BPU +++ 18psi (430 rwhp)... His car is very light due to weight reduction (3400 with him in it) and is one of the quickest stock twin cars in the country. He traps 122 to 124 weather dependent. We went from a roll 4 times 35 to 125 mph. On my hot program (93 octane) I would get a 1 car lead and hold it steady till we lifted. The 1 time I went on my street program he killed me up top. We all know how Strong the Supra is from a roll. My reason for posting is JLP knows what he is doing. Bob still can't believe he couldn't drive by me.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Do the big filter it is better and don't forget the nice heat shield and air hose from the bumper. Total cost should be maybe 125.00.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
As a matter of fact, I have before and after dyno test happening right now with the JLP CAI VS. the Kenne Bell CAI.

I should have the results Tuesday. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
HAMMER said:
As a matter of fact, I have before and after dyno test happening right now with the JLP CAI VS. the Kenne Bell CAI.

I should have the results Tuesday. I'll post them as soon as I get them.
That should settle it..My bet is it works...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hammer,

It is hard to really test CAIs on a dyno. If you can get some track time you would be able to tell alot more by trap speed.

For whatever its worth, Sal @ PSP got better results with a smaller filter on the Lightnings.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Sal @ PSP got better results with a smaller filter on the Lightnings.

The Filter is a restriction,,so at some point the larger filter is a larger restriction..Seems like 9in Filter size works with straight filter..The Descharger worked better with a 6in then the 9in.
With the JLP and getting air from the head light opening the 6in Filter works..Why use Larger filter then it needs when it's will have to pass through more filter..

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Ayrton said:
Hammer,

It is hard to really test CAIs on a dyno. If you can get some track time you would be able to tell alot more by trap speed.

For whatever its worth, Sal @ PSP got better results with a smaller filter on the Lightnings.
I don't agree with that, idea, man.

I know that the dyno fan does not even remotely simulate the air flow that the car experiences when driving down the track...but it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because blower cars do not use "ram air" intake systems...even though we all call it that. A blower is a vaccum on the intake side. 99.9% of the air flowing into the inlet tube is SUCKED in, as opposed to pushed or ramed in.

Naturally aspirated cars use ram air. Not blower cars! So air flow on the dyno vs. down the track doesn't matter. The blower doesn't need wind to get it's air. It only needs an unrestricted inlet system.

I'd bet the pink slip of the car that the 12" filter system vs. the 6" filter system yields BIG gains for the Kenne Bell blower application.

And 25 RWHP on the dyno is not going to lose MPH at the track...no way.

Results will come soon.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The kenny bell system (may be restrictive) do to the 4 inch hose that is almost 24 inches long that is between the meter and the filter. I had a homemade system like that on my car 6 months ago and took it off due to the hose. I like the big filter on the end for now and there is no friken way that those other systems make more pwr. The two top system for high hp cars have to be either kenny bell or 12inch on the end of the meter. Look at the top cars at the track they run BIG FILTERS on the end.. The only reason some of the fender kits make pwr are because there f-ck with the air-fuel adjustments due to the bend and the way the air hits the meter. If someone finds out that the hose helps please let me know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts