Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I uninstalled the densecharger, installed the JLP CAI, and reset the computer I have stalled while coasting (aka clutch engaged or not in gear). Its very random as well. I cannot help it but keep the revs high when I slow down and be very alert. Could the ram air inlet tube to the airbox cause the MAF to be confused because of the variation of air going to the filter? ie.. more air gets "rammed" at 80mph versus 30mph. Or could it be a wacky A/F (too rich)? Are any of you having these problems?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Have you reset the computer lately ? As in disconnect Neg cable for 30 mins or so. I have had the JLP setup for 8 months now with no problems. My car actually stalled several times with a 12" filter on and when I installed JLP kit and reset computer it has never stalled since. Just my .02 cents worth!

JL :)

G

·
For resetting the computer..cant you just disconnect the neg and then press down on the brake pedal to drain the charge in the system? Or do you have to wait the 30 minutes or so?

Harry

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
For resetting the computer..cant you just disconnect the neg and then press down on the brake pedal to drain the charge in the system? Or do you have to wait the 30 minutes or so?

Harry
Jdm told me to Disconnect Battery and wait 10min with door open

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm disconnecting the battery as I type this. Like I said, I reset it before. But I'm gonna give it a go again. Let it idle longer, drive it around varying rpms, and just basically let it get used to the settings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Something that I discovered a while back is that if you blow air on the open element, unshrouded K&N filter, the engine will die. I think that the increased turbulent airflow going through the MAF at idle speed causes MAF confusion(no pun intended).

When you have the JLP kit and push in the clutch(or shift to neutral) in order to coast, you are simulating the effect of blowing air on the filter....the engine tries to idle but the JLP system picks up A LOT of air from the front opening & transfers that airflow to the air cleaner housing.
I don't have a solution for you other than to say "Don't do that". I don't think that anything is wrong with your car if you reset the ECU after installing the JLP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got the same exact results guys. It just stumps me why people are not having this happen to them. Heres the question..

Is it the tune or is it the "ram air"? When I go to get retuned, should I have them blow air into the ram air or should I take it off, keep it off and tune and be safe. High way on ramps from another highway are scary. Its hard to clutch blip downshift, clutch blip downshift, while turning sharp. Its much easier to coast. This is absolutely killing me.

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2126

This is the thread with my a/f and dyno charts. Do you think that wacky a/f has anything to do with this? This is down right scary fellas. Definately makes the car less enjoyable. I am probably gonna take the tube off completely and see if it is indeed the whacky a/f. But I want this ram air effect, great results at the track.. But oh well. Time will tell.

Thanks for all your answers. Keep em comin guys.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my .02

I don't think it has anything to do with the JLP kit at all. I think it is the same problem that alot of the 03 cobra owners are reporting, even on stock cars. I have PHP CAI on mine and it did it a couple of weeks ago while cold. When it warmed up it quit and hasn't done it since.

Your only hope may be to have your stock computer reflashed.

Ben

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree it has nothing to do with the JLP kit. To many folks with em and no problems. Reflash ECM is an option.

What are all your Mods again ? And is your car a first run or second run ?

Just noticed your Sig ! Sorry ? Who tuned your autologic chip?

JL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Freedman. I'm going to pull out the tube, reset yet again, and see if that helps. It seems to be the tube. I know its the CAI because I had the densecharger before this and it NEVER happened. This was the only mod I did before the stalling. I hope to have a retune comin soon. I'm talkin to some people but no one can get shit together. I wanna fix this now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I made a ram air for my CAI out of a JDM Cool Air Kit. I read the 5.0 mag CAI shootout and thought I would try the JLP unit. I tried calling for three solid days and gave up. I bought a Densecharger. Ever since the new racing season started I have lost about a tenth. I though it was the Densecharger so I put the JDM back in the car. I made a shield from stainless steel sheet metal. I ordered a 3 inch hose and routed it from the opening in the bumper through the fender right up next to the filter through the cut out in the fender. I pulled the battery pos terminal and it sat overnight. I went to work real ealry that moring and it was pretty cool. As I slowed for a traffic light my dash lit up and then I realized I had stalled the engine. I was in neutral when it stalled. I thought maybe the cool air had done it but I knew it probably not right. That afternoon when it was hot, it stalled three times under similar circumstances. I pulled the pipe out and it's ran fine since. And that was over a month ago. I have read of a least two other JLP users having the same problem. Pull the ram air pipe off the filter and I bet it doesn't stall.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I wonder if that Ram Air hose is beneficial anyways?? I am thinking of taking off my ram air hose as well, not because of stalling but I am thinking more air would get to the fenderwell with out it ?? I know my buddy tried the same thing with his 01 cobra and it hurt performance at the track! Actually I am thinking of ditching the JLP all together and going with a big conical, most all the really fast cars are running them, just seems the jlp with its little filter and closely enclosed box that a big open conical would allow it to pull more air, and also the JLP pulls most of the air from the open mesh part at the top which would all be underhood air, so why wouldnt a big open ended conical be just as good or better. Any comments! Trey

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I'm going to take out the piping and see if anything changes. I really liked the "ram air" but I value my safety a bit more. Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm gonna get tuned pretty soon tho, I'll bring the tube just in case.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I meant to ask my buddy about his but what about rain? Wouldn't water go into the filter. It looks like it would not be good but I guess SS's and WS6's suck in water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Silver03Snake said:
I meant to ask my buddy about his but what about rain? Wouldn't water go into the filter. It looks like it would not be good but I guess SS's and WS6's suck in water.
Rain is not an issue -- before my Cobra I had a Z06 with an MTI ram air setup which has an inlet that was approx 12"wide and 3 inches off the pavement and having driven in bad rain storms it never ingested water.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know this probably isn't something you want to try. But maybe put back the stock air inlet system. See if it does it.

Process of elimination is very time consuming, but eliminating variables is priceless. :D ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tube out.. no stalling. Tube in.. stalling.. Might also wanna try put a screen of some type.. check this out guys. Can you guess where the tube was pointing to on the filter?

Attachments

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
To be fair to JLP the Thread should be just
STALLING PROBLEM :p

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
My car also stalls with the JLP every once in awhile after a WOT run...I also know a guy with a stock car here in St.Louis...never stalled before until JLP and now it stalls constantly. The thing works no doubt...but it also causes some cars to stall

This guy is trying to get info on what he thinks is causing his car to stall from a technical forum...if your sick of it quit reading it. :mad:

·
Registered
440 Posts
So that expalins a lot.

I was wondering why, that with my driving style doing a lot of coasting, that my engine dies in neutral when coasting from high speeds, maybe 85 and above. I have the Amazon Racing CAI and no MAF Screen.

No problems dying at legal speeds, just when I am crusing along and decide I have enough momentum to coast into the next 2 counties, the engine will run flaky and die, no doubt from the increased tubulence.

Sort of like gliding. Still a pain in the ass.

Mike69440

1 - 20 of 26 Posts