Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new silver 03 a week ago today, after trading in my 00 Lightning. I love a lot about this car, the AWESOME power, nice handling, great looks, nice stereo, and good ride quality. But I've noticed a lot of problems in the last week, but haven't called the dealer yet due to work and time constraints. But today is the day, and they are going to get an earful! I'm so pissed about this stuff, and feel I shouldn't have just spent 34,000 dollars to realize theres a boatload of problems. Well, here is the list:

1. Driveshaft 'clunk' when shifting gears, or getting on or off the accelerator.
2. (Probably related to #1) Vibration through the whole car, especially at 60mph plus
3. Notchy shifting/Noisy transmission, and an audible 'clunk' when putting shifter into each gear, most noticeable when putting it into first
4. Rough, low idle, idles at around 650 RPM
5. Passenger seat rubs against door, causing horrible rattle/squeek

Anyone else have these problems, and is there fixes for them? My tranny and driveshaft feel better in my 100,000 mile, track flogged 92 5.0 than this car!!! Ugh!!! Thanks for any help

·
Registered
250 Posts
Everyone of those "problems" you mentioned have been experienced by one person or another here. You might try to do a search on the forum and find a few examples/fixes. Some you can do yourself.....some you might have to find a competent dealer service department.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have #1, #2, #4

Some say the cluck is normal. Some have gotten it fixed with replacing drive shafts, tranny's, and rear ends. Some dealerships wont even try to fix it because even SVT will tell you they know about it but it won't hurt performance or longevity of the car. [email protected]#$T!! The Vib goes along with clunk. They will replace parts until it's fix. Just ask around here and see if there's a dealership in your area that has fixed this issue. My dealership said it's normal and within spec. [email protected]#@T!!!
You got a PM

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
silver03 said:

1. Driveshaft 'clunk' when shifting gears, or getting on or off the accelerator.
2. (Probably related to #1) Vibration through the whole car, especially at 60mph plus
3. Notchy shifting/Noisy transmission, and an audible 'clunk' when putting shifter into each gear, most noticeable when putting it into first
5. Passenger seat rubs against door, causing horrible rattle/squeek

Anyone else have these problems, and is there fixes for them? My tranny and driveshaft feel better in my 100,000 mile, track flogged 92 5.0 than this car!!! Ugh!!! Thanks for any help
Here are my thoughts on these issues:

1) Heard this on mine a couple times................no biggie to me, doesn't happen much at all. And when it does, its usually a result of myself not making the cleanest shift in the world.........

2) You get one alignment/tire balance under waranty. Use it and see what happens.

3) These T-56's make lots of noises. They are normal sounds generally. The clunk and/or pop when shifting is the ineffective quadrant not allowing the clutch to disengage totally. IMHO, the combination of the T-56 and the heavy clutch renders the stock quadrant useless. Although you shouldn't have to..............replacing the stock plastic quadrant with a metal one solved that issue in mine.

4)My idle speed was never a issue. Mines at 650 or so too. can't comment on that one.

5)There is a TSB for the seat rubbing the door. I haven't heard that noise in mine since i changed the exhaust system. :D :D

Hope that helps

gary

·
Registered
481 Posts
Silver03 - Where do you live in NJ? I am South Jersey, Williiamstown.

Where are you taking the car? I took my car to Holman in Mount Laurel for my fixes. See my comments below...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspSeems that MOST cars have this, I try to eliminate it by easing on the accel, especially in 5th&6th

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspI have brought my car to the dealership 3 times for the vibe. First time - they replaced my Rear as per SSM# 16341 that states 45+ replace rear. No Fix. Second time - balance of tires. No Fix. Third time - balance of tires - no fix - new driveshaft as per SSM# 16341 that states 65+ replace driveshaft - FIXED! I had to go over my service advisors head and talk to the service manager to convince them to replace the driveshaft.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspTransmission is noisy and the clunk is most notable in first

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspMy idle about the same without the AC on. With AC on, my car idles at 750.

5. Passenger seat rubs against door, causing horrible rattle/squeek.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspTSB 03-1-5 for the fix

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for all the info. Its at least comforting to know I'm not the only one out there with these probs. I've got an appointment with the Ford dealer (Wayne Ford) on Tursday, let ya all know what happens. Thanks especially to Killer Cobra.. got your PM... and Topracer, I live in Paterson, formerly from Cedar Grove... up north a bit. You go to Etown?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yea I go to etown every once and a while, prob once a month or so... I like meeting new faces, so let me know the next time you are heading up there... good luck with the car...

p.s. is 'Tursday' a new day of the week? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, its a cross between Tuesday and Thursday...LOL.. gotta cut me some slack, I had just gotten home from Hoboken, and was a little under the weather!! I'll let ya know next time I head to Etown (after I break the car in a little, probably about a month or so)

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Welcome aboard, Silver03. Looks like some of the other fellas gave you one helluva warm welcome in answering your questions.

We're just one big family up in this mofo.

And I too have experienced every single complaint that you've listed. It's ok, man. These are the minor annoyances of having a serious muscle car. You can get most of them fixed. Don't sweat it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
None taken at all. Its great to be here, and thanks for the welcome guys. I do love this car, and hope to get these minor things fixed. Looking for my first Vette!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts