Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a ball this weekend at the shootout in Columbus. It was great to meet a bunch of people from the boards (JT, JB, Doug, Eric and a whole bunch of others I can't remember) and watch the '03's RUN. I think they ended up with a 14 car field and the racing was great. The JDM car ran quicker but got treed in the finals against Cory ??. I think the JDM car ran a 12.01 and Cory ran a 12.2x in the finals. There were a few 11.xx passes on Saturday, but that's another topic entirely. I was surprised/frustrated to see an '03 vert out there running without a cage. I left mine at home since National Trails is a NHRA track and I didn't think I would pass tech to run below 13.99. Live and learn...the rules seemed to be a little flexible ;)

Anyway, I had a great time and my '93 cobra took second in the car show! Second place gets you a nice trophy and $50!!! When was the last time anyone was paid to win a car show.

The entire event was extremely well run and the vendor support was great. Thumbs up to Bassani, they helped me out with some parts I needed for one of my cars exhaust systems free of charge. Now I know why I always buy Bassani.

Classic Design Concepts was there and gave out a shaker hood system as a door prize. An $800 door prize! You gotta love that. They also had their Mach 1/Cobra on display and it was gorgeous. Take a Mach 1, add an '03 engine and 6 speed, keep the shaker and throw in some side exhaust! SWEET...

I heard next years event was going to be in Columbus again. I wouldn't miss it!

Take care,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It was a fun event.

I was number 2 qualifier with a 12.035 @ 117.8.

I ran an 11.943 @117.69 in between my second and third qualifing run during a brief test and tune period, but it didn't count, not that it would have mattered if it did, since the JDM car put up an 11.80.

I had Cody in the second round, RT were's were close, .212 for me, .208 for him. I came out a little too hard and broke loose, after three 1.8x 60 fts in a row the previous day, I put up a 2.037 to his 1.801. I was chasing him down, but ran out of track, 12.218 @ 117.63 for me to 12.060 @115.98 for him.

It was a good run, congratulations are in order for Cody.

I was dissapointed I went out not running one of my better runs, but hey, breaking loose happens to the best of them especially running on street tires. I was happy with my RT's, it was only my second event on a pro tree and I put up a .261 in round 1, and a .212 in the second.

It was a lot of fun meeting people and hanging out. Bill, Jimmy V, Hammer, Eric, Chad, Jeff, Ben, Obie, Doug, Shaun, Jim D, JB... Damn I know I'm leaving out important people people...I wish there were more '03's there. If you weren't there, you should consider coming out to an event, they really are a lot of fun. Not that I have any problems with the above people at anytime, but it is amazing how much better people get along in person rather than over the internet!

The track photographer took a great shot of my car, wait to you see it. I am going to make it my new avatar. When the avatar has smoke, it is the new one. :)

JT

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn I wish I went with Cody. I definately wouldn't have competed becuase I knew what Cody was bringing to the table but it sounded like a fun time.

JT: Do you have a lower pulley?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had fun at the shootout also.I placed 3rd after a few breaks (literally). I fell victim to Cody at the tree also in the semi's.He tree'd me and I started to reel him it but ran out of track.BUT I had a quicker ET and higher MPH :evil . I was ok on the tree for only having 15 passes on the car and running on a pro tree for the first time. I have no excuses though. I was sleeping and he was all over the tree.
I talked to a good amount of people.I can't remember all the names. I heard enough blowers and mustangs to last me for a long time. LOL.All in all I had a lot of fun. I won $100 and a CAI for an 03 Cobra (dont think I will be able to make it work for the SS though). Drove a sweet 03 Cobra all weekend and I am definately going to miss driving it.
Special thanks to Mike S. (BAD PNY) for letting me beat up on his car and JLP for doing an awesome job on the tune.

Also who says headers don't make a difference on a 03 with eaton.We trapped consistantly higher than everyone most of the weekend. QMP headers and 3 inch catback with ORX. JDM's car was trapping about the same. I think that puts the header theory to :hammer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kevin,

That is one of the cleanest, if not THE cleanest black 93 I have seen in a long long time. Very sweet Cobra. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
snakecharmer said:
Kevin,

That is one of the cleanest, if not THE cleanest black 93 I have seen in a long long time. Very sweet Cobra. :)
Agreed.Very nice Cobra.Usually you can never find a 93 cobra that close to stock.Very nice car

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SSled said:
I had fun at the shootout also.I placed 3rd after a few breaks (literally). I fell victim to Cody at the tree also in the semi's.He tree'd me and I started to reel him it but ran out of track.BUT I had a quicker ET and higher MPH :evil . I was ok on the tree for only having 15 passes on the car and running on a pro tree for the first time. I have no excuses though. I was sleeping and he was all over the tree.
I talked to a good amount of people.I can't remember all the names. I heard enough blowers and mustangs to last me for a long time. LOL.All in all I had a lot of fun. I won $100 and a CAI for an 03 Cobra (dont think I will be able to make it work for the SS though). Drove a sweet 03 Cobra all weekend and I am definately going to miss driving it.
Special thanks to Mike S. (BAD PNY) for letting me beat up on his car and JLP for doing an awesome job on the tune.

Also who says headers don't make a difference on a 03 with eaton.We trapped consistantly higher than everyone most of the weekend. QMP headers and 3 inch catback with ORX. JDM's car was trapping about the same. I think that puts the header theory to :hammer
I still don't agree about the headers. I think I had a F'ed up tune and was still off only 1 mph, through the stock H. I think the correct tune, and an aftermarket catted X or H and I'd be right there. Anyway, I was still number 2 qualifier and put up the only 11 besides the JDM car. Anyway, maybe the headers are worth something, but for $800+ plus intallation, plus extra noise, potential leaks, and potential ground clearance problems, I won't be buying any soon.

Blades, I was not running a lower.

JT

·
Registered
135 Posts
JT I was not bashing you or your car.Your car runs very strong and you are a very good driver. You could 60' the car very well. I was not trying to take anything away from you or your car

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Blades said:
Damn I wish I went with Cody. I definately wouldn't have competed becuase I knew what Cody was bringing to the table but it sounded like a fun time.

JT: Do you have a lower pulley?
Why not compete? it was fun, and you never know what is going to happen. There was a guy who stalled on the line, and lived to see another race because the guy next to him broke.

Another guy had a car qualified a second faster than him, but they messed up something and ran slower than the slower cars qualifying run, so with a little luck he could have won. Cody wasn't near me in qualifiying, but he had a good run next to me when I didn't. Anything can happen, that's why they actually have the races after qualifying.

Really, it is a lot of fun, and in that class, 480+ ft lbs on street tires, I would say it was some percentage skill, but still a high percentage of luck that got to the win.

Carpe Diem ,and alll that stuff, come out participate, have fun, and help get an '03 class established.

JT

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SSled said:
JT I was not bashing you or your car.Your car runs very strong and you are a very good driver. You could 60' the car very well. I was not trying to take anything away from you or your car
I know, you weren't. I'm just not convinced that headers are the way to go, at least not for me. Mike's car trapped nice, but I'm not sure that it was due to the headers. I'm not trying to take anything away from his car either. I'll clarify what I said, I think they might be worth something, although I don't think it is that much, if anything. Maybe the tune was better for the crappy weather, who knows?

For someone like me who likes a quiet car, I am still running the stock H and a quiet catback after all, likes to not have to worry about header bolts coming loose, leaks and ground clearance, they aren't for me.

When I go to the KB, I'm going to put the stock catback back on, now that will be a sleeper. :evil

JT

·
Registered
191 Posts
JT said:

The track photographer took a great shot of my car, wait to you see it. I am going to make it my new avatar. When the avatar has smoke, it is the new one. :)

JT
That is an awesome shot JT. Nice smokey! :D

Wish I was there to meet more of you guys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
JT said:
I know, you weren't. I'm just not convinced that headers are the way to go, at least not for me. Mike's car trapped nice, but I'm not sure that it was due to the headers. I'm not trying to take anything away from his car either. I'll calrify what I said, I think they might be worth something, although I don't think it is that much. For someone like me who likes a quiet car, I am still running the stock H and a quiet catback after all, likesd to not worry about header bolts coming loose, leaks and ground clearance, they aren't for me.

JT
I am not sure why his car trapped so high.He dynoed in the 450 range,had the jack and had the jack and spare out. Maybe since he runs a 2.93 pulley the blower isnt as hot as the people who are spinning the blower more. I felt good hitting the gears so maybe that had something to do with it.
Oh yeah I was the guy who stalled at the line.I was trying to slip the clutch a little too much and stalled.I caught a break thats for sure.If the car is still in bolton trim maybe Mike will let me drive it next year.
I was really hoping to line up against you JT.Maybe we can line up at Cecil when I get the SS done :evil .

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you...Thank you on the '93 comments. It is a pretty sweet ride. The car show was nice...but I would have rather driven my '03 in the race!

Take care,

Kevin

·
Registered
207 Posts
JT---Nice hanging out with you and Hammer, we had a fun time at Hooters :beer

The 03 class was ALOT of fun to watch, very close competition and some great drivers out there on street tires :evil

JT, we should meet up at Cecil one of these days...Also SSled, I was the tech guy talking to you about Cecil, you probably remember now, I didn't know that was you with the BADASS SS car hehehe....

Later man and what a great time it was, congrats to Cody Mac (the Pro Mod driver) for winning the 03 class and congrats to the whole JDM crew for putting on a great show as well and the rest of the 03 racers!!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
SSled said:
I am not sure why his car trapped so high.He dynoed in the 450 range,had the jack and had the jack and spare out. Maybe since he runs a 2.93 pulley the blower isnt as hot as the people who are spinning the blower more. I felt good hitting the gears so maybe that had something to do with it.
Oh yeah I was the guy who stalled at the line.I was trying to slip the clutch a little too much and stalled.I caught a break thats for sure.If the car is still in bolton trim maybe Mike will let me drive it next year.
I was really hoping to line up against you JT.Maybe we can line up at Cecil when I get the SS done :evil .
That sounds like fun.

I wasn't trying to make fun of you, or imply anything negative about the stall thing. I left your name out just to be sure you wouldn't take it that way. I was just trying to convince people why they should bother to participate, because anything can, and does happen. It would have been a lot more fun in my opinion with more people and cars.

JT

·
Registered
135 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
Also SSled, I was the tech guy talking to you about Cecil, you probably remember now, I didn't know that was you with the BADASS SS car hehehe....
Were you the tech I spoke to at the scale or the one that tech'd me in? I am not going to make an issue out of the tire.At first I thought maybe the rules were bent slightly for him but after some thought I realize I out drove him past the tree.He has a fair amount of practice on a pro tree and this weekend was my first time of a 400 tree. I have no excuses. I would still like to see him 60ft better with a 275 though.

JT, I have no problem with anyone knowing my mistakes.I was trying to slip the clutch alittle more and didnt give it enough gas. I stalled and luckily he red lighted.I ran a blistering 27 second ET LMAO! I hope the guy in the Sonic Blue 03 I ran got his car straightened out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After what JT said I should've gone. I guess I wouldn't have done that bad. It would have been my 2nd time at the track but I had Cody and Co's coaching.

JT: I believe cody did 11s too.

I gotta go to Etown with cody and co and see if I can bust into the 11s on a cold day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting reading. First the 93 cobra was very nice indeed and that is coming from someone that knows just a little about nice cobra's... hehe

It was alot of fun. You don't need a killer car to compete. The pro tree was really an advantage for the guy that won. Had the other fast qualifiers had experience on a pro tree it would have been a different story because they all had faster horses.

JT we can agree to disagree on the headers... I still respect what you have done with your car and the way it runs. I want a TB and exchanger to really test out my theory...

1 - 20 of 88 Posts