Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 98 mustang gt last week. motor was blown, car was in pieces, and the guy gave me a complete engine to go with the car. he said it had like 90k on the complete engine. after tearing down some of the complete engine to inspect it, i find its been left in the weather for a few years. so i picked up a teksid block 95 mark viii engine for like $450. tear it down to remove the lincoln junk off it and find the rods and bottoms of the pistons look clean. all the timing guides are still intact and no noticeable wear. all in all the engine is pretty clean. i have a set of 2003 pi heads for coming. this week. i plan on bolting on the heads and running the stock internals til i get the money for a stroker kit.

will there be any issues with the heads on the teksid block? i know i need to find a dif timing cover. looking for that tonight and am ordering a set of arp head studs this week as well. from what i read i am looking at issues with timing parts, an oil dipstick tube, i will replace the oil pump while im replacing the timing before dropping it in the car. i also wanted to buy some bbk longtube headers, but i read someone was having trouble finding correct headers after a pi head swap. The heads should be the same so same headers for a 98 should work with the 2003 heads?

any input would be nice. i dont want to waste a bunch of time and money buying wrong parts. im not rich, and i want to try to get it in the car with longtubes, the pi heads, and worry about saving money for the rotating assembly and a good set of heads like the trick flows later. im not trying to put 500 horse on the stock internals or anything. just want to get my 98 mustang on the road.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is a modification that needs to be done to the Teksid block to make it work with 2v heads. A hole need to be drilled in the driver side. When you put the head gasket on it becomes easy to see.
Here a some picture I took when I build my engine in 2010

Before:

After:

The timing cover of the 98 should be good, I'm using the one of my 97 and they are the same.
No problem for me with ARH LT headers, they are the same 96-04

Be sure to get ARP 2000 head studs, not the 8740, and torque them to 85ft-lbs

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a modification that needs to be done to the Teksid block to make it work with 2v heads. A hole need to be drilled in the driver side. When you put the head gasket on it becomes easy to see.
Here a some picture I took when I build my engine in 2010

Before:
View attachment 175668

After:
View attachment 175669

The timing cover of the 98 should be good, I'm using the one of my 97 and they are the same.
No problem for me with ARH LT headers, they are the same 96-04

Be sure to get ARP 2000 head studs, not the 8740, and torque them to 85ft-lbs
Yeah I’m aware of that. But what I wasn’t aware of is I need new pistons, or to fly cut my stock ones for ptv clearance. Something I’m going to have to wait for money to do the crank rods and pistons.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
No need to fly cut your pistons if you're using OEM PI cams. If they are in good condition, stock pistons and internals are fine if you're not trying to get over 400 horses

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,485 Posts
Why guess?

Put a set of checking springs on #1. Remove the cam followers for all other cylinders. Place a dial indicator on #1 intake spring retainer or other locations on the valve, if you want. Go to TDC intake stroke. Move the crank in 1˚ increments from 5˚ ATDC to 15˚ ATDC. Push the valve open with your finger at each increment and read the clearance available until the valve touches the piston directly off the dial indicator. Write these numbers on a piece of paper. When you are done you will see how close your intake valve comes to hitting the piston and where that occurs. Do the same for the exhaust but take the measurements BTDC.

Don't guess. Know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after many small issues that seemed to pop up the closer I got to being done, I’m finally done with the car for this phase.
New clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, pilot bearing and throw out bearing. New hv oil pump, pick up, all new timing components Becuase you have to. The pi swapped heads on the mark viii short block, frpp pi intake, long tube headers and bbk h pipe. Just about ready to plate it and the fan is junk on it. So today I put a new fan in, and it ran like crap when you romp it. Till about 3500-4000 rpm the. It had no power still really.

cleaned the maf sensor and the air valve with brake clean. And holy shit it’s insane. So much power. Runs like a top now. I’m one happy camper atm. The Exhuast sounds mean and deep growling as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts