Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the pulley, I don't know if the "cold" air aspect of the intake is as important as making sure there is no restriction in the inlet path. Less inlet restriction, more air into the Eaton, hopefully more boost. After all, after it goes through the Heaton , then through the IC, does it really matter how hot the inlet air is at the filter?

Anyway, that was my rationalization for using the open 12 inch powerstack. Others seemed to be running good that way, too.

I was still haunted my experience stock, where the car slowed down 3 mph and lost .3 when I went to an open element arrangement.

When I saw the new K &N, I thought that it may be the best of both worlds, lots of flow capability, and cold air at that. What I liked about it:
1) New widemouth style element with neat looking filter to MAF adapter. Don't know if it really flows better, but it looks cool.

2) More "taper" to keep more space around it on all sides, even with a shield,

3) A shield that has a bulkhead effect at the maf, for a good seal away from engine heat

4) Gaskets between the filter element adapter, the "bulkhead" shield and the MAF.

5) An open top style shield that should catch air the gets under the hood lip.

What I don't like:

1) Closed filter end,

2) Slightly less surface area than the longer powerstack.

3) Not a good seal around the bottom of the shield

4) Suggested drilled hole for a support on the maf.

I started to install it, and numbers 3 and 4 from the do not like list started to get to me.

I ended up fabbing a bottom to the shield that mounted with the factor rubber test tube stopper looking things (Á= highly technical terms there,) that would keep a better seal at the bottom and support the maf with no more holes.

Here are some pictures of the kit as received, hopefully my web host bandwidth will hold out:

In the following picture, you can see how the shield is relieved around the valve cover and an A/C line.

I ended up spending about 4 hours making a boxed bottom to the shield. I must be insane. Fitting around that A/C line was a major PIA.

Here is the box after welding, but before painting:

here is a pic of the relief around the A/C line

Here it is painted:

And the final installation:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Nice work JT. Doing that kind of fab work using sheet metal or aluminum is beyond many folks capabilities, I wonder if it would be possible to accomplish the same thing with a different material like plastic sheet. Hmmm.

Bill

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2kbill said:
Nice work JT. Doing that kind of fab work using sheet metal or aluminum is beyond many folks capabilities, I wonder if it would be possible to accomplish the same thing with a different material like plastic sheet. Hmmm.

Bill
From an insulation standpoint, plastic would be better, right?

Making it out of plastic would add it's own set of challenges, too.

I may add some kind of insulated sheet to the metal one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Damn, you should sign up for American Chopper with those fabbing skills....the Teutuls can use you. I'll put in a good word with Paul Sr.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice work, JT. Another skilled fabricator who did something of the same from a sheet of stainless is Silver03Snake. I am sure he could give you a pic of his and more ideas for thought.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I agree with the idea of a big conical hurting a car with stock boost as you found, and once pullied I too think the amount of air is the key, which a 12inch does have working for it. I know you always run with headlight out so I would have to say at the track theoreticly this combo shouldnt perform as well at the track. But I look forward to your results.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
First off I would say hats off for a job well done JT, but I have a couple of questions.

I don't know if the "cold" air aspect of the intake is as important as making sure there is no restriction in the inlet path. Less inlet restriction, more air into the Eaton, hopefully more boost.
3) A shield that has a bulkhead effect at the maf, for a good seal away from engine heat
Isn't that a contradiction? If the inlet temp is not a concern, but flow is, why so much attention to the heat shield? I am sure it would be less restrictive without it. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
So I take it that with the hood closed that foam at the top totally seals that box??? So when the hood is closed it only pulls air through the opening in the fender?? If so that seems restrictive to me!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
96blkcobra said:
First off I would say hats off for a job well done JT, but I have a couple of questions.

Isn't that a contradiction? If the inlet temp is not a concern, but flow is, why so much attention to the heat shield? I am sure it would be less restrictive without it. Just curious.
Exactly, well sort of, that's why I am trying it this way, to see which is actually true.

Although, I don't think this way adds any significant restriction. The filter is free to pull air from the fender, from under the hood lip, (which I think will capture a nice volume of air when the car is moving), and from the headlight, if I desire to keep yanking it out.

JT

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trey193 said:
So I take it that with the hood closed that foam at the top totally seals that box??? So when the hood is closed it only pulls air through the opening in the fender?? If so that seems restrictive to me!
I have the area pretty well sealed off, but I don't think it is close to actually holding even the slightest vacuum.

One of the goals was to have it sealed well enough that IAT 1 didn't get to be extreamly elevated before the car was even staged. With some readings from stop and go traffic, I may nned to seal a little better, and or add some insulation to the box.

JT

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I saw JT's revised K&N setup in person today.

All I can say is that JT did what K&N should have done in the first place.

I just don't understand why no manufacturer has come out with a CAI that fully eclipses the heat from the engine compartment!!

Look at the stock heat shield! SVT has the right idea. If you cut off any air from the engine compartment, you are forcing the inlet to suck air from the headlight area and the fender hole. There's PLENTY of air from those places only.

The hole in the fender is big enough that there could NEVER be a deficit of air.

JT did an awesome job and the pictures do it no justice.

Nice work, bro!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Keep us posted on the results, I am very interested. I have looked at all the CAI kits for my car and ended up going with the Densecharger. Not sure if it was the right move, but from talking and reading, it seemed like the best choice to me.

I actually think the cooler air would be better. Then again, I am no expert on airflow either. The way I understand it, cooler air is smaller which allows more oxygen molecules into the engine. Even if the air is heated up at some point, it still has to be cooler than what you would suck from under your heat soaked engine compartment. I guess a good test would be to run one style at the track then swao to a different setup and run again. The gains or losses may be insignificant, but that would be good info to have.

·
Registered
863 Posts
JT,

How do think you think this K&N setup would perform on a higher boost Kenne Bell setup ? I am still running the JLP setup with a slightly larger filter crammed into the Box. The inlet Ring and larger surface area K&N filter looks like it would be less restrictive than my current setup !?

Jon L

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dustoff said:
JT,

How do think you think this K&N setup would perform on a higher boost Kenne Bell setup ? I am still running the JLP setup with a slightly larger filter crammed into the Box. The inlet Ring and larger surface area K&N filter looks like it would be less restrictive than my current setup !?

Jon L
Hmmm, I think we could figure out if all that work is actually doing anything with a datlog with the Autotap.

It would be a little time consuming to R and R the JL box on one or both of the two cars, but we could pull them apart at the inlet tube ,then swap the whole inlet tube back and forth and log IAT 1 vs IAT 2 for both set ups! If we had a car with the big open cone, we could try that inlet tube, too.

The maf to filter adapter I used to use, requires silicone to seal so I wouldn't want to unhook my maf from the new set up to throw the big cone back in there, to much of a PIA to scrap of that silicone again...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts