Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 mustang gt 5-speed kenne bell 2.1 non intercooled polished kit i just finished the install myself and had it dynoed on tuesday night. made 324.01 rwhp/347.18 rwtq jus wondering what the rest of you guys saw with te same set up.

only other mods are K&N fenderwell CAI supplied by KB
boost-a-pump
ngk tr6 spark plugs gapped .030-.035
using the KB tune
and i have O/R x-pipes

the dyno operator told me that he sees numbers similar to these on the non i/c kit that its prett standard but kb rates the ki at 360 rwhp so idk whats up. let me know if you guys know different..as or the future i definately will be adding intercooler/9si pully if not higher thanks guys!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I friend of mine has the 1.7L non-intercooled kit tuned with 94 octane and he makes 350rwhp and 350rwtq.
He has a Steeda CAI, focus in-tank fuel pump, Magnaflow mid-pipe with borla cat-back, 5speed and 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I friend of mine has the 1.7L non-intercooled kit tuned with 94 octane and he makes 350rwhp and 350rwtq.
He has a Steeda CAI, focus in-tank fuel pump, Magnaflow mid-pipe with borla cat-back, 5speed and 4.10 gears.
Have you seen the dyno sheetwas it a kb tune? And I only run 91 since I can't get 94 but does that make that much difference

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh and the temp was about 82 degrees outside** on 91 pump gas

·
Registered
11 Posts
matts281 are you running the stock throttle body?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have stock Maf and TB but I wanna know what others are seeing with this kit

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not many are running a non-intercooled KB. You are one of a few. That kit is only 6psi right? Numbers seem about right. You don't really have any other performance mods. You would probably benefit a bit from a real dyno tune over the KB tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not many are running a non-intercooled KB. You are one of a few. That kit is only 6psi right? Numbers seem about right. You don't really have any other performance mods. You would probably benefit a bit from a real dyno tune over the KB tune.
i would like more horse power but the reason i made this thread is to get other peoples numbers because i want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the ay its running so if this is about what it should be my mind will be at ease sure i would like to have the 365 claimed hp but id mainly like to know tht everything is operational and i dont have a disfuntional blower or something of that nature lol and yes 6 psi but in a month or so it ill be around 9 or 10 =D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Too many variables to make a determination other than that you are probably in the ballpark. For a few: What kind of dyno? What A/F did you see? What boost did you see? What timing did you see? What were your IATs during the pull? How about ECTs for that matter? Ambient air pressure?

With your current pulley I doubt you have any restriction from your MAF or even the throttle body. You'll probably want to open those up when you upgrade, and as stated get the tune dailed in on the dyno.

LOL and oh, where the heck were you that it was 82 degrees on tuesday night? It's been 'freezing' lately!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it was the dynojet they have at gtr lol probably the same one you used boost was 6 psi and the a/f was down to about 11.2 at its lowest point idk what my timing was but my iat was i believe in the 180s and i was down at gtr lol. ok ive gt run conditions: 81.52 degrees F, 28.74 In. Hg, humidity:31%, SAE 1.04

my a/f doesnt drop below 12 until about 4100 rpms and then remains closer to 11

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For a non-intercooled kit running pump gas with a standard KB tune, the numbers don't seam too bad to me.

I am interesting in doing this same KB kit. Other than the numbers not being as BIG as you would have liked, how is it? How does it drive? Are you happy with the result? How hard was it to install? What was your experience with KB customer support? Would you do it again?

Thanks.

OBTW, are you planning on going above 6 PSI non-intercooled? If yes, I wish you no ill will. But I would start saving for that built motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I were you matts281, I would go and get a accufab 75mm TB to help open up the intake and then get some headers on that thing to open up the exhaust side. I have a 2.1L intercooled kit a with the KB duel tune and I can say that their tune is really good, but kaboom. I blew the motor and gave them all the info of mods on my car and they knew I had the extra pullies but when I sent the blower back just for inspection"had metal all over the place, you name it" they saw I never changed pullies. I blaim it on the weak rods but long story short, get a 75mm tb and headers and go see what a tuner can get you. You should be able to get the numbers you want

·
Registered
11 Posts
WMBURNS:: KB has top notch customer service. The install is easier with a non intercooled kit but even with the intercooled kit most can install on their own, and they drive like a monster. Night and Day. no boost lag and I've taking a guy with 630 rwhp procharged d1sc gt in my 460 rwhp kb gt and he said "oh my god, it really pushes you in the seat",and "I'm amazed that it would do that at that boost and power level".

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would like more horse power but the reason i made this thread is to get other peoples numbers because i want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the ay its running so if this is about what it should be my mind will be at ease sure i would like to have the 365 claimed hp but id mainly like to know tht everything is operational and i dont have a disfuntional blower or something of that nature lol and yes 6 psi but in a month or so it ill be around 9 or 10 =D
Ehh if you're going more boost then dont worrie about your numbers now, worrie about them in a month or two ;) LOL, and you'll crap yourself with the extra power!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, the difference between 91 and 94 octane is substantial. Did you tell KB what octane you'd be using? Although, if you read their Tech Articles, they tune for an ideal AF (11-11.5 AF with 18 deg timing / 12.5 AF with 23 deg timing in SHOOT-OUT mode). If you can use higher octane or know for sure you are well away from detonation, rather than change the tune to be more aggressive, simply ADD BOOST.

According to them:
1 psi = 13-16 hp
1 degree of timing = 3-4 hp

Don't modify KB's tune. Don't try to out think them. If your combo and octane can handle it, up boost by 1 psi instead. They have spent HUNDREDS of hours perfecting their tune. Some guy with a dyno might be able to "better" it, but not without significant risk.

Oh, and thanks for the report! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohh no way im definatly gonna pull the blower and intercool because im 19 dude i know for a fac ill be happy for about 3 weeks with 9 psi then itll be 14 lol. install was fairly easy go with the 9 lb kit the 6 is nice and it feels like a monster but the intake temps are gnarley it heats up fast after one or two pulls its already down like 15 hp the dyno showed that. other than that drives like a regular car feels normal until you mat the pedal. and even with 325 hp its fast man. customer service is pretty good but i only live about 15 mins from the warehouse so i just go down rather than calling or email i know that gettin a hold of them on the phone takes a while lines are always busy. and i would definatly do t again but id go the extra g and get the ic kit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the difference between 91 and 94 octane is substantial. Did you tell KB what octane you'd be using? Although, if you read their Tech Articles, they tune for an ideal AF (11-11.5 AF with 18 deg timing / 12.5 AF with 23 deg timing in SHOOT-OUT mode). If you can use higher octane or know for sure you are well away from detonation, rather than change the tune to be more aggressive, simply ADD BOOST.

According to them:
1 psi = 13-16 hp
1 degree of timing = 3-4 hp

Don't modify KB's tune. Don't try to out think them. If your combo and octane can handle it, up boost by 1 psi instead. They have spent HUNDREDS of hours perfecting their tune. Some guy with a dyno might be able to "better" it, but not without significant risk.

Oh, and thanks for the report! Keep us posted.
thanks and i wouldnt mind upping boost but i would like to do it safely and add i/c because the only gas i can get is 87 89 or 91 unless i drive 15 miles to vp for race gas but id be on e by the time i got back home. so ie been running 91 but i havent noticed any signs or problems with misfires or pinging at all in or out of he boost thanks man ill let you guys know what happens

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
it was the dynojet they have at gtr lol probably the same one you used boost was 6 psi and the a/f was down to about 11.2 at its lowest point idk what my timing was but my iat was i believe in the 180s and i was down at gtr lol. ok ive gt run conditions: 81.52 degrees F, 28.74 In. Hg, humidity:31%, SAE 1.04

my a/f doesnt drop below 12 until about 4100 rpms and then remains closer to 11
That's a little low on the air pressure. Last time I was there though about the same, 90* ambient, and I was down about .5 to 1 psi and 10 rwhp. I saw IAT's of 120-130 at the top of each pull. Get there in better conditions and about 60* and you'll see at least 7 psi and accordingly better power. Your blast furnace intake temps are killing you though.

You're also probably running a bit fat. Do you know if he put the wideband into the O2 bung or just used the tailpipe sensor? If it was the tailpipe don't worry too much on the A/F as that is the most likely reason for the lag in your graph.

I'm not completely in agreement not to "mess" with KB's tune. Your call of course. However I have a feeling they are going to be on the conservative side and try to cover a wide range of potential customers. I am a strong proponent of custom dyno tuning (by an expert, of course) taking into account all of the mods and whatever other characteristics and idiosyncrasies a particular car has. My car has never run so well as with the custom tune. WOT is smooth, cruise is smooth, tip-in is smooth, and it even smogs clean as a whistle. On the contrary, it pinged when it was bone stock N/A, and did so for the original owner too. Even had a fair bit of pinging later at times on the 91 Predator tune, and Diablo has also undoubtedly put loads of research and testing into their tunes. Kinda funny, but I think my pistons have to be much happier since going supercharged with a custom dyno tune.

On your subsequent post - LOL you won't be doing 14 psi on a stock bottom end. Well, maybe once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.