Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have an 03-04 Cobra, but I have a similar setup, and there are alot more of you guys running this type of blower combo. Car is a 00 GT with a KB Intercooled 2.2 at 19 or so PSI, 302 Stroker, MPH 2.5 2v Heads, MPH Cams, Kooks 1 3/4 LT's, 3" Offroad X Pipe, 3" Magnapacks.

It has a Accufab Cobra Oval TB, 03 Cobra Inlet Tube, 90mm LMAF, 9" Filter w/ Heat Shield. Car made around 600 rwhp on pump gas, and 647 rwhp on race gas a few years ago. Im not sure if the pump gas tune was on the summer tune or winter tune (car is on the winter tune right now) and havent gotten it on a local dyno to see what it's making these days.

Are there any gains just changing the inlet pipe to something bigger? Would I see anything out of a 12" filter? I did alot of reading, but didnt find anything talking about the inlet tube really, just mostly alot of arguing over cai vs rai, and whether or not the larger filters helped with the guys not running in the mid 20's on boost.

Also, would I be giving up much if I went from the 3" Magnapacks with turn downs to a Magnaflow or Dynomax Ultra Flow 2.5" Catback? Car is way too fugging loud right now!

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
You will only see decent gains if you remove the restrictions. Since I am not familiar with your setup I have no idea what they are. on the 03-04 Cobra and on bigger blowers the rear plenum is a restriction and you can get gains buy going to a mammoth or behemoth or just porting your stock one. Not sure on your setup. Also after you free up the plenum breathing it may be wise to get a bigger MAF housing and other parts.

As far as the exhaust if I remember correctly you will probably pic up so tq going from turndowns to normal catback but not positive.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you are at the level of 600hp+ from a 2.2 on pump, you are already at what I believe is the limit of the 2.2L, mostly because of intake temps rising from spinning the 2.2 so hard. Running the 12" filter may help but only minimally.

Going with the 2.5" exhaust shouldn't detract much if any hp and may even enable you to gain a little torque which is favorable for around town tire whopping...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The inlet of the blower is a KB design that cant be swapped, Im pretty sure anyway.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are at the level of 600hp+ from a 2.2 on pump, you are already at what I believe is the limit of the 2.2L, mostly because of intake temps rising from spinning the 2.2 so hard. Running the 12" filter may help but only minimally.

Going with the 2.5" exhaust shouldn't detract much if any hp and may even enable you to gain a little torque which is favorable for around town tire whopping...
It doesnt need anymore torque, it spins the tires from whatever, whenever right now.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TTTT for any other input? Inlet on the blower is basically an 03 Cobra setup. Car makes 19 psi with a belt that isnt super tight. 2.75 upper, 7.5" lower.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are there any gains just changing the inlet pipe to something bigger?
I've thought about this as well given that I'm running a 2.2L KB at 23psi, which is already
overspinning the blower. I think it's maxed out. I honestly think it's money wasted to
upgrade the intake plenum on a 2.2. IMO, I would rather put that $$$ towards a 3.4 Whipple
or a 2.8 Mammoth KB.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean the maf to tb inlet tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts