Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my care package from pete a couple weeks ago which consisted of a KB with stock 9psi pulley as well as a 17psi pulley, BAP, accufab TB to match the KB. I also got a custom delta chip (from pete) with a 9spi and 17psi tune, denso IT 24's and I am just awaiting my pulley tool from KB. I plan on sticking with stock injectors. I have read through the instructions a couple times but wanted to tap into the vast knowledge of the forum on what procedures I should take after the KB is installed.

Other mods I have are bassani catted-x and cat back (also from pete) and JLP CAI. Now, I would like to just keep the 17psi pulley on the car but I was afraid I may have issues with the BAP so figured I better get a stock pulley as well. Will I be able to run the stock pulley without a chip? Will I also be able to run the stock KB pulley with the BAP turned off?

How would you go about testing the tunes? Start with the 9psi stock pulley, get it on the dyno and monitor A/F, should this be done with our without a chip? or both ways? If it runs lean start to turn up the BAP?

If all goes well switch to the 3" (17psi) pulley, flip chip (or install chip if not allready installed) and take a run? Kb recomends 40% dial on the BAP for 17psi, but I have seen other say run it more like 60%. KB also recommend IT 22 plugs stock gap if im not mistaken. But I have seen IT 24's with a smaller gap recommended for 17psi. I am just getting so much conflicting info that I dunno where to start. I understand that no 2 cars will be identicle but if someone could help with a simple outline of how I should go about setting BAP etc once its all installed it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well dang, 33 views and no one with any input? Did all you guys have a shop install your KB's?

·
Registered
64 Posts
re

on he bap set in about half wayon the dial that what I did. I also had a dyno at my expence as well. if you do go to it and make a pull and see what it says. you will be rich DON"T PANIC. turn down the bap. the plugs I have no idea I stole mine from a ws6 with a 250 shot. still waiting for mine. I think the gap is like 28 is what pete told me. If you are only going to run stock boost you do not nbeed the chip. you have a flip chip from diablo. if so there is a middle stop where it is a tune delete sort of thing where the chip shuts off. you might try that for your stock boost. also you will not need the bap there becuase ford made these cars run real rich already so you should be good to go there. if you have anymore question pm me josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok I can help you some.... maybe you know this but if not here it goes... the BAP will be completely worthless for tuning UNLESS the chip has told the computer to do something other than stock with the fuel pressure, keep in mind the BAP raises voltage while the ECU regulates the FP with a pulse... in other words raising the voltage will only cause the ECU to adjust the pulse to the pumps to achieve the pre determined pressure. Kenne Bell has figured this out... a simple way to think about it is they have commanded a given pulse to the pumps and have kept the ECU from trying to achieve a given pressure. In doing this when you raise the voltage and the pulse to the pumps has not changed... the AF gets richer. If the chip you have is not setup like this it will not be anything more than a safegaurd from running out of pump volume.

Pm me if you need help and I'll give you my phone number.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input StRacer, I am aware of the EEC wanting to maintain homeostasis and I have been assured that petes tunes deal with this issue so that shouldnt be a problem. In the KB manual it says to run the BAP at 40% when running 17psi but I have heard others say that 75% or so is more accurate so I was just looking for some additonal input on where people needed to set their BAP at the various boost levels.

Also, I was curious as to weather my setup would work without the BAP and chip should I stick with the stock KB 9psi? This is my fall back just in case I have issues with the 17psi/chip/BAP combo and need to send a chip out for a reburn etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
Thanks for the input StRacer, I am aware of the EEC wanting to maintain homeostasis and I have been assured that petes tunes deal with this issue so that shouldnt be a problem. In the KB manual it says to run the BAP at 40% when running 17psi but I have heard others say that 75% or so is more accurate so I was just looking for some additonal input on where people needed to set their BAP at the various boost levels.

Also, I was curious as to weather my setup would work without the BAP and chip should I stick with the stock KB 9psi? This is my fall back just in case I have issues with the 17psi/chip/BAP combo and need to send a chip out for a reburn etc.
Put it on with the 9....check everything if its all good change the setup to your 17 with the chip ..max the BAP and take it from rich to lean...dump some 110 in her then ease into it untill your sure....with a Wideband....I (because I am a paranoid focker) always over octane the first time with my new combos, better to have and not need.... :)

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StRacer said:
Put it on with the 9....check everything if its all good change the setup to your 17 with the chip ..max the BAP and take it from rich to lean...dump some 110 in her then ease into it untill your sure....with a Wideband....I (because I am a paranoid focker) always over octane the first time with my new combos, better to have and not need.... :)
Sounds like a plan. I had every intention of getting it on a dyno w/wideband to test the tune and A/F with the 17psi on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
Sounds like a plan. I had every intention of getting it on a dyno w/wideband to test the tune and A/F with the 17psi on.
Cool... I'm sure Pete does a reasonably safe setup or he wouldn't sell it...you should be fine.:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running 22 psi @6400 with perfect AF I think I am close to the limit but it looks good were I am at....we did end up raising the fuel pressure though. On another note one of my good freinds a few years back ran 9.60's in a blown car with 38lb injectors so I know if the pressure is high enough we can get away with a lot.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boostin'03 said:
17 psi on stock injectors? Those things are ganna be running real hot and have a high duty cycle
Yep, KB swears up and down the car is safe to over 600rwhp with stock fuel system/maf. Additionally the added pressure isnt just to force more fuel through the injectors but largely to combat the high pressure levels created from the additional boost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts