Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm excited by the numbers people have put down with the KB, and I've got a coupla q's. I know the kit is close to $3700, but what else would be needed to do something like say 16 psi, safely? I'm assuming doign the 55# injectors, but what else is needed? I'm prolyl going to do the install myself( i like turning the wrenches) and Pete is too far away for me to drop it off with him for a couple of days. It's up in the air at this point, after the tax season I may do a stroker for the GT, and keep it N/A (although a turbo kit for it should be here next week) or get a KB for the 03. Just trying to decide what I really wanna do, cost wise. Thanks for any ideas. Take care, Charles

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Charlez:

The KB kit is complete. I run the 3" pulley with 93 octane pump gas and a good tune. You don't need injectors for that pulley (about 16 lbs) but if you plan on using a smaller pulley to race at the track, you should do the injectors with the install since you can't swap them afterward without pulling the KB back off the car (the inlet tube is one-piece and you can't get to the back injectors with it on).

Other than that the kit is 100% complete including gaskets, sealer, belt, etc. And the car is an absolute ANIMAL with the KB and the 3" pulley.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
chillfactor said:
Hammer did you post somewhere that it put you to 550??????
I have not dyno'ed yet. I did an in-car A/F check. But based upon what others with similar mods made and my MPH at the track I am guessing approx 550 RWHP.

G

·
HAMMER said:
You don't need injectors for that pulley (about 16 lbs) but if you plan on using a smaller pulley to race at the track, you should do the injectors with the install since you can't swap them afterward without pulling the KB back off the car (the inlet tube is one-piece and you can't get to the back injectors with it on).
that's an excellent piece of info, so I'm bringing it to the top in case someone missed it... :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turboing the 03 seems like its a hot topic! I don't think I have the resources to do it though. I'm assuming fabricating an intake (maybe keeping the 03 intercooler, and just doing an upper?) plumbing would be the easy part.....I think the intake is my only hang up.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I have been looking into it, and I think the FR500 intake would be the best/easiest intake to use. You could even port it before putting it on. I was told this would bolt right on. So after that, I think the best way to go is get a nice 01 kit. There are a few turbo companies coming out with some good kits around April. I think this would work. It is a hot topic, I hope some turbo co. see the demand and make something for the 03 since this engine is ready for psi. The earlier 4.6's could only take about 8-10psi on the stock motor, so this is the motor you would want to turbo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I may see how hard it would be to adapt what I've got to the 03. I have an 01 intake worked to fit navi heads....how close are the navi and 03 heads? I may pull the intake on the cobra soon just to look, as it is an option. I'll have the rest of a GT kit to "modify" and see if I can stick it to the 03. I better get the GT driving first so i can rip apart the cobra....I will investigate it further.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Charles you are not that far away , come on down.
Turbo's will kick ass , but Kinda big project. the kb is simple and easy. nitro

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can anyone give me a few logical reasons for installing a turbo kit on an '03 Cobra. There are already many recipes for making HUGE amounts of SAFE power with the stock and KB blowers. Adding a turbo kit would require a lot of extra work such as the exhaust headers, intake, plumbing, brackets to hold the turbo(s), etc. I know the turbos can make the same power at a lower psi, but so what? The engine is built to take the high psi of the blowers. Except for being different, why would anyone do this?

-Nino

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nino and Cobragb you guys are absolutely correct. But, it's just be different. What about seeing a turbo'd 03 at 24 #'s? I think maybe too much work would be involved to make it fly, but it would be cool. As it was going to happen, the navi heads, and a 4v turbo were going into the Gt, but a certain vendor here in Texas no longer speaks to me, and has about 6 thousand dollars of mine, and I have no short block, hence the thought of even doing the turbo on the 03.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
In other forums people have already posted many reasons why. And with kits being availible, exhaust and headers have already been made, all you do is put it on. I am not in the position to really give you the best reasons for a turbo since I am still learning about it. But with what I know, here are just a few reasons out of the many: Turbos will make more power. The more boost you run the more hp the turbo will have over the supercharger. The more boost you run the more hp that the supercharger sucks up. Both the KB and a turbo will make boost instantly. The turbo produces MUCH less stress on the motor, which will extend the life of the motor. If you want to change boost on the KB you have to change the pulley, if you want to change the boost on a turbo all you do is press a button isnide your car, even while driving. So you can run almost no boost for just cruising around to save the motor and if someone pulls up next to you, then just turn up the boost instantly. The turbo only gets faster and makes more power the higher RPM you take it, unlike certain superchargers that will run out of steam over 5500rpm. Since our cars are made for a power adder, why not use the most efficient? The supras can make 600-700 all day long on the stock motor with a single turbo, and they have a 6 cylinder 3.0L ! A good website is Turbomustangs.com. If you have any questions I am sure they can answer them.

I am not trying to talk down about the KB, the KB will easily make all the power you would need. I am just saying why I would choose to go with a turbo. And that it is NOT a waste of money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's not a waste, thats for sure. It's is the most effecient. However, just "turning up the boost" it isnt that simple, I'm sure a DFi would be in order, along with a new fuel system (hey Pete, are you using a stock style fuel system?)unless I had a butt kickin tuner to tune for various levels of boost on the stock electronics. Too many things to look at right now, I oughtta just go buy a house.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts