Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hearing a lot of comments that the KB boost-a-pump will not work properly unless a KB chip is used. Ive got my KB sitting in the garage and a diablo delta chip burned for use with the KB(by pj's). I planned on staying with stock injectors and using the KB boost-a-pump but am now wondering if what I have will work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i used a diablo chip...i had to go to a different mass air..using the stock injectors..diablo got a mass air calibrated for 55 lb injectors then adjusted the rest in the chip..my fuel pressure never got up to 85 psi using the diablo chip...i still have a few issues with my chip..have to go back to diablo later this week

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a bit confusing since I know you can get aftermarket MAF's "calibrated" for certain sized injectors. At the same time however my understanding is the stock MAF is calibrated to 19lb injectors and the EEC itself makes the calculations from there. On the 2002 lightnings they have 42# inj and a 90mm MAF but my understanding is the MAF isnt really calibrated for the #42's, the EEC handles all of the A/F mapping. With that in mind, I wouldnt think going with an aftermarket MAF would be needed, just a properly tuned chip, one that is designed to work with the KB boost-a-pump.

·
Registered
758 Posts
KB Boost-A-Pump

You are right, the KB chip is the only one that will work correctly with the KB Boost-A-Pump and the stock injuctors. I have a non KB chip also and it will not work to change the fuel pressure to 80psi like it should.

AMB

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: KB Boost-A-Pump

AMB said:
You are right, the KB chip is the only one that will work correctly with the KB Boost-A-Pump and the stock injuctors. I have a non KB chip also and it will not work to change the fuel pressure to 80psi like it should.

AMB
I dunno, I would think if KB's chip can alter the EEC so it doesnt lower fuel pressure then other chips can as well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Re: KB Boost-A-Pump

Shadowgray03 said:
I dunno, I would think if KB's chip can alter the EEC so it doesnt lower fuel pressure then other chips can as well.
Exactly. It is probably somewhere in the coding and KB knows exactly where it is where others don't right now.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: KB Boost-A-Pump

SVTVenom said:
Exactly. It is probably somewhere in the coding and KB knows exactly where it is where others don't right now.
I would think Nitrous Pete knows whats up with this. He is running this with his Diablosport chip in there. Seems to be doing pretty well too. He has also done others with KB boost a pump and Diablosport.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Check out my classifieds section
There is a Yellow 03 COBRA Forsale in there !

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: KB Boost-A-Pump

Hot Rod Harry said:
I would think Nitrous Pete knows whats up with this. He is running this with his Diablosport chip in there. Seems to be doing pretty well too. He has also done others with KB boost a pump and Diablosport.

Harry
I wasn't aware that Nitrous Pete was running the Boost-A-Pump. Maybe he could shed some light on the subject. Pete.......

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: KB Boost-A-Pump

Hot Rod Harry said:

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Check out my classifieds section
There is a Yellow 03 COBRA Forsale in there !
Thats what Im hoping for since I got the KB from him and was planning on sticking with stock inj and using the boost a pump with his delta chip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
when r u installing the kb??? just curious to see if your tuning adventure goes smoother than mine did!!!mike

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mike5876 said:
when r u installing the kb??? just curious to see if your tuning adventure goes smoother than mine did!!!mike
I was hoping to have it done by the 25th when fordchip comes to town so I could have the tune tweaked, however due to a tight budget and tighter timeline I dont think its gonna happen. Before I tear into it, I need to make sure all of these questions get answered. I dont want to throw it together ti find out the boost-a-pump wont work with Petes chip and that I need bigger injectors etc. I dont like surprises.

G

·
I guess Pete has been to busy to get online much...so I called him today and asked him about this.

He said he has, with the help of Diablosport,(remember..he was down in Florida tuning live with them on the dyno) a setup chip for the Kennebell supercharger. It works awesome with no troubles at all. He has put many hours in setting this up and thats why he seems to be the man to go to for one of the best setups, performance wise, with the Kennebell. He also helped our other 03 Fast Cobra nut in Texas that just went 9.91 in the 1/4. I think that was more Nitrous related though....Pete just loves making these cars as fast as they can be. He doesnt have to be top dog...he will make any of his customers top dog if thats what they want.

So dont fret.....Your KB from Pete will work with his Diablosport Chip tune.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra(100 % stock except for my mods):p

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yea, I figured he was busy so I called the shop as well. Talked to Mike over there and he said I should be good to go. Mentioned a few tricks to getting old blower off/new one on etc.

Harry, did you install your own KB or did ya have pete do it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
BOOST A PUMP

I AM WORKING ON TUNING THE 03 COBRA'S WITHOUT USING THE BOOST A PUMP AND ALTERING THE FUEL PRESSURE IN THE PROGRAM.
I WILL KNOW NEXT WEEK IF IT WORKS.
I WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED.

THANKS
JOE

·
Registered
758 Posts
KB Boost-A-Pump

You can tell if the chip works with the Boost-A-Pump by checking the fuel pressure. It should be about 60psi at idle with the boost pressure switch cable leads shorted to gether, and about 80psi under boost.

AMB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts