Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it? Is it like a Plasma Booster and MSD Stacker 8 or is it something different?

·
Registered
863 Posts
No Boost-a-spark increases voltage output to the Positive + side of the Coil. It saturates the coil with more Volts from 13.7 stock to 19+ so the plug will fire thru high octane, high boost situation.

I have both a Plasma booster and a Boost-a-Spark on my car. Boost-a-Spark is controlled from the interior with dial similar to boost-a-pump. Plasma booster connects to the negative side of the coil and acts as a capacitive discharger similar to the MSD stacker.

JL

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you notice a difference on the dyno? When is it needed?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody have any more info or opinions on this product?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Yes, it definately smoothed out my dyno curve way up top, where I normally see a wavy curve that is apparent spark blowout. Gone with BAS.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
HAMMER said:
Yes, it definately smoothed out my dyno curve way up top, where I normally see a wavy curve that is apparent spark blowout. Gone with BAS.
Hey Hammer,

A few questions if I may:

1. where did you mount the unit (also any pics)?
2. how much are you boosting the voltage (%)
3. what plug type/gap are you running and at what boost currently?

Thanks dude,

MJ

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
MJ,

I have both the BAP and BAS mounted in the trunk, behind the trunk liner. Once the dial is set on each, there's really no need to change them so they need not be easily accessible. I prefer them out of sight.

I have the dial on the BAS set to about 2/3 of it's full capacity. That was at the recommendation of Jim Bell and I have no idea what the technical signifigance is.

I am using Denso Irridium 22's with the 'out-of-the-box' gap. I can't remember what the gap was, but they were all checked for accuracy and were dead on. I have been running around with the Densos for about 3K miles. They were recently pulled out (for redesigned head swap) and looked perfect.

With that combo and about 620 RWHP, my curve is very smooth up top with no evidence of blowout whatsoever.

·
Registered
863 Posts
MJ,

I mounted my BAS up front to under the Plasma booster near JLP Ram AIr Kit. I pulled a coil pack to test with Key on. I wired mine without the boost switch.

To test I put key on engine off. At the Coil pack + wire(Red) the volt meter reads Battery voltage approx. 12.7v with the BAS knob in hand I slowly turned clockwise and Behold the Voltmeter began to rise at full (Max) I read 20.8v at the coil pack connector. So it is definately doing its job.

I just switch from IT-22s to IT-24s due the Boost level I am running 20+ lbs. The IT-22s were awesome for street use I prefer them. My idle was much better with 22 than 24s. The 24s are just cold enough plug that it has a slight miss until It is really warmed up. But my top end Miss is completely gone and absolutely no blowout !

Hope this helps !

Jon L

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thanks guys. It would be nice to open up the gap a little and not have blowout. I may end up looking into the BAS at some point. Before or after the KB blower......THAT is the question.. :)

MJ

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Dustoff said:
No Boost-a-spark increases voltage output to the Positive + side of the Coil. It saturates the coil with more Volts from 13.7 stock to 19+ so the plug will fire thru high octane, high boost situation.

I have both a Plasma booster and a Boost-a-Spark on my car. Boost-a-Spark is controled from the ****pit with dial similar to boost-a-pump. Plasma booster connects to the negative side of the coil and acts as a capacitive discharger similar to the MSD stacker.

JL
JL..I didn't think you could use them both,,What is reason for both??

·
Registered
863 Posts
Jim,

I acquried both and recently installed the BAS for a High end blow out spark issue when above 20+ lbs. I have had the Plasma booster for awhile and it works well and really cleaned up the idle.

The BAS IMHO offers nothing lowend (below 3500 rpm). It is nothing more than a voltage intensify for the coil pack. I do have them both wired on the car currently and they both work together fine. The BAS connects to the + side of the coil packs and the Plasma Booster wires to the - side. So far no problems !

Jon L

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Dustoff said:
Jim,

I acquried both and recently installed the BAS for a High end blow out spark issue when above 20+ lbs. I have had the Plasma booster for awhile and it works well and really cleaned up the idle.

The BAS IMHO offers nothing lowend (below 3500 rpm). It is nothing more than a voltage intensify for the coil pack. I do have them both wired on the car currently and they both work together fine. The BAS connects to the + side of the coil packs and the Plasma Booster wires to the - side. So far no problems !

Jon L
Jon, thank's for your reply. I recently installed a Plasma Booster on my 03 Cobra and so far noticed as you did an improved idle.I don't really think it gave me much if any power since i have a mild setup..I will try testing it on dyno with and without the ground wire hooked up.I hopefully will see some difference..

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Dustoff said:
The BAS connects to the + side of the coil packs and the Plasma Booster wires to the - side.
Jon,

Sounds like you are trying to create a Frankenstein monster!

I can't wait to see you run at the track. I'll look for you later tonight in chat, bro.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
HAMMER said:
Jon,

Sounds like you are trying to create a Frankenstein monster!

I can't wait to see you run at the track. I'll look for you later tonight in chat, bro.
Jon,
Are you going to Cecil Wednesday?

They handed out a slip of paper last week saying they's be open every wednesday for the rest of the summer. They haven't changed the website though.

JT

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks Hammer just testing... Wait till I hook up some Sikorsky Helo fuel pumps on t his baby that will cure the PSI problem.... :D

450 PSI @ WOT heheheh

JT,

I would love to go Wed. If I knew my schedule ! ? ANd got the Jim Bell Chip in time.

I am abstaining as best as possible from WOT blast until I get this fuel PSI thing straight. It does run well though !

Jon L

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Dustoff said:
Thanks Hammer just testing... Wait till I hook up some Sikorsky Helo fuel pumps on t his baby that will cure the PSI problem.... :D

450 PSI @ WOT heheheh

Jon L
Ever seen the Gumball 3000 videos? There's a Skyline running one of those along with another pump. They said all of the electrical accessories and a/c had to be off to keep the pump going.

·
Registered
863 Posts
No, Have not flown Cal in a month, but have been to KenneBunk Port... I wonder who there !!!??? Sr. not Jr. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts