Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some notes and tips from the KB install for those planning on doing this. My install took around 8 hours done by myself. You really need assistance to perform this install as the supercharger and intercooler assemply weights almost 100 Ibs and pulling the old one and installing the new one is not fun alone. It these tips and having somebody assist you doing the installation should take around 4 hours IMO.

Make sure you have carb or brake cleaner, anti-seize, lock-tight, and a fuel disconnect tool.

Follow steps 1-40 this will take about 1 hour depending on how fast you are working.

Don’t do step 41 yet assemble the entire unit outside of the car steps 42-56 and 58-59. On step 56 put in the bolt under the plenum in first. Once this is complete put the assembly into the car as one unit. I didn’t do this, but was told and believe it will work and would have saved at least 4 hours in my install. The worse case I think you might have to put it in the car without the EGT installed and then install that in the car, but that will be much easier then the other solution.

Step 42 the stock intercooler bolts have lock-tight on them. I broke 2 of mine when removing the stock unit. I suggest seeing if you can go and buy some of those bolts on hand in case you do the same. On step 48 I suggest you lock-tight them when you reinstall them.

Step 54 and 57 when re-installing use regular motor oil on the fuel injectors and intercooler water adaptors on the o-rings, just dip your figure in the oil and then rub the o-rings, so you don’t rip or tear them and it will make them go on much easier.

When they have you connecting the vacuum tubes with the connectors spray the connector and tube with WD-40 first and they will go together easily and once the WD-40 dries they will not come off.

You don’t have to change the thermostat our stock unit is 180 degrees and the unit they provide is 180 degrees. This will save a lot of time and un-needed work.

Anybody else have any comments or additions to this list?

·
Registered
863 Posts
toofast4u said:
just dip your figure in the oil and then rub the o-rings,
I could not resist !!! But this sounds a little to intiment for my Kenne Bell.... LOL

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dustoff said:
Yes, Install 55# Injectors while they are easy to get too !
I still don't see the need for them. I am running 29 psi idle pressure and 60 psi at WOT and have a 11.5 a/f with stock injectors. I need to get an ODB scanner to see what the duty cycle is, but the pressure is great.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just depends on what you want out of the car. I ran mine too with stock injectors but when I went to increased boost (above 17lb) levels, I wanted the extra assurance I was OK, just my humble opinion.

What chip are you running KB, diablo, etc ? And boost level ?

Thanks,

Jon L

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Diablo tune by Patrick at Diablo. I am running 17# and making approximately 600 rwhp with a 11.5 a/f. I wish somebody could define what extra assurance is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i think a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking they need to spend the extra $600 on 55 lb injectors...there is no extra assurance provided by a bigger injector if fuel pressure is good and the a/f ratio is safe...with 100 octane and the stock inj..you could run more boost..the only benefit the bigger inj has at a higher boost is that the fuel will be cooler..but then again...how many people are hooking 600 rwhp to the ground? mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great tips Toofast!
Like I said pencil yourself in on your calender to be at my place the first week of January to help me install mine! LOL

Just teasing bro.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Killer Cobra said:
Great tips Toofast!
Like I said pencil yourself in on your calender to be at my place the first week of January to help me install mine! LOL

Just teasing bro.
I don't have a problem helping as long as my wife is not giving me crap about it. I might be helping umustdv8 this weekend do his and he is up your way.

I need to open a shop for anybody who needs suspension or KB installs. Will work for somebody to wax my car. :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bolt for the intercooler is on national back-order and fordpartsnetwork can't even find a price for it. I am going to see if I can source some stainless steel ones somewhere else considering the stock ones IMO are very weak. They are M5-16mm bolts. If you are doing the switch I suggest everybody have a couple on hand or a set of 10 ready to replace the stock ones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
brian...let me know if you are going to help put the kb on this weekend ..i probably can help also....with both of us helping him we can do if fairly fast mike

·
Registered
863 Posts
mike5876 said:
i think a lot of people are brainwashed into thinking they need to spend the extra $600 on 55 lb injectors...there is no extra assurance provided by a bigger injector if fuel pressure is good and the a/f ratio is safe...with 100 octane and the stock inj..you could run more boost..the only benefit the bigger inj has at a higher boost is that the fuel will be cooler..but then again...how many people are hooking 600 rwhp to the ground? mike
Well, I thought I was being nice until you accused us 55lb injector individuals of being "Brainwashed". For one I did not pay $600 for the Injectors ! #2 there is extra insurance of running the a larger injector on a blown motor making 600 rwhp. Its called Longevity of the injector gentlemen. 60+ psi thru a stock injector is defiantely decreasing its service life compared to a larger injector that is design to handle more PSI.

On second thought I don't want ruin the thoughtfullness of your KB tips thread so I am finished.

By the way I have not seen any Posted ETs lately for toofast4u or mike5876... Remember Dynos Walk, ETs Talk !!!

Jon L

·
Registered
140 Posts
doesnt matter what you paid for the injector....its more than i paid!! also since when does the duty cycle of an injector cause accelerated wear when my fuel pressure is the same as it was stock....ill stand by my comment.......someone that didnt know what they were talking about convinced you to buy something toofast or myself didnt need.......when i get a chance from work to go to the track to run my car....i surely will.....just doesnt excite me that much when my last car ran 8.60's....a high 10 or low eleven doesnt seem all that fast

·
Registered
140 Posts
oh.....one more thing...i saw you have a boost a pump...thats one other thing that isnt needed!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dustoff said:
Well, I thought I was being nice until you accused us 55lb injector individuals of being "Brainwashed". For one I did not pay $600 for the Injectors ! #2 there is extra insurance of running the a larger injector on a blown motor making 600 rwhp. Its called Longevity of the injector gentlemen. 60+ psi thru a stock injector is defiantely decreasing its service life compared to a larger injector that is design to handle more PSI.

On second thought I don't want ruin the thoughtfullness of your KB tips thread so I am finished.

By the way I have not seen any Posted ETs lately for toofast4u or mike5876... Remember Dynos Walk, ETs Talk !!!

Jon L
What are you talking about? 60 psi is not high line pressure that is actually normal operating pressure for the injectors. Hammer is running 65-68# at WOT on his 55# injectors. Check out a stock car and see what pressure it runs. Our cars when you turn them on stock bring line pressure to 50 psi and then idle at 29-31 psi same as I do now. The only thing that will substantiate any claim that the stock injectors are not adequate is to check the duty cycle of them at WOT. There has been "NO" proof that the stock injectors are insufficient for 600 rwhp. What evidence makes you honestly think that Seimen are more reliable or higher quality then the stock injectors?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Moderator hat on:

Thread seems on the edge of slidding in the toilet, please try to stay civil.

Moderator hat off:

I would say that no one has "proved" one way or the other that larger injectors and the boost a pump are or are not needed.

I think it depends on alot of variables, the main one being how much air are you really putting through the engine.

I think at high blower speeds, the BAP and larger injectors will be needed.

Don't for get Jon is running a larger lower with his combo.

If you stay in the 17-19 psi range, and you stay in FLA, those items may be superfluous.

Cold fall air up here, where uncorrected HP could be 50-100 hp higher than now could be what pushes a 19 psi car to the lean side.

JT

·
Registered
863 Posts
Dustoff said:
Yes, Install 55# Injectors while they are easy to get too !
Sorry no intent Guys to start a riff ! My original point was just a tip if you are going to do injectors it is a lot less time consuming if the blower is already off. That was All.

But several website calculators suggest that a (brake horsepower) of around 600 would be the maximum level at 90% duty cycle for a stock 42lb injector
http://www.z31.com/software/injector.pl

http://www.slowgt.com/Calc1.htm#FInjHP

Jon L

·
Registered
140 Posts
no prob dustoff....just didnt like the comment that you havent seen a timeslip for my car...no hard feelings though...question.for you............what kind of tires r u running? i need to get something as i still have f-1's on the car...do u have drag radials or slicks..cause that 60' sounds decent

1 - 20 of 31 Posts