Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These KB numbers are starting to make me sweat. I think I may need a KB coupe to go along with my vert. Hammer shouldn't be the only guy with 2!

Anyway, What are you KB guys running for heat exchangers? Since the KB doesn't make as much heat at elevated boost levels, is the stock unit sufficient for street use (16-17 pds). Also, is anyone still running the stock manifolds (except Randy) or are most of you running longtubes?

You see where I'm going here. If we start to add up all the pieces necessary to make 500 RWHP with the Eaton and just add 25% we're in KB money territory and 600 RWHP with plenty of upside potential.

Headers $700 Install $500
Upper/lower pulleys $250 Install $ 100 on the lower
Heat exchanger $600 Install $0
TB $750 Install $0
Chip $350 Install $0
Bassani CatX $500 Install $0

Total $2850 Install $600

VS KB $3699 Install $ ???

How's my logic here? I'm sure you all went through a similiar rationalization. Am I missing anything?

600 hp with stock manifolds, stock heat exchanger, and stock cat-H seems like a no brainer to me. Talk about a quiet street sleeper! Guys wouldn't know what hit them!

Take care,

Kevin

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Kevin,

It's very gratifying for me to see posts such as yours. You are thinking EXACTLY what I was thinking just about the time that the KB kit was released for the 03 Cobra.

I talked to a lot of people about it and was a bit apprehensive and nervous to make the investment - especially since I was planning on putting the KB on my beautiful brand new car! And there was no reference since the blower was not out yet.

It couldn't have been easy for SVT to organize a production blower car. I am quite certain that they were concerned about losing money in warranty service. After all, a blower exponentially increases stress on an engine - even the stock Eaton. Additionally, SVT knew that guys were going to swap pulleys and, while this is not a warranty situation, a good deal of 'pulleyed' cars would slip through the warranty system.

I am sure that SVT would not have released the 03 Cobra unless they were careful to ensure against a HUGE amount of warranty work. The only way to do that is to build an armored bottom end motor. The motors in our cars are engineered for boost - engineered by the best in the world.

But that doesn't mean that we can't hurt the engine. The cars are capable of running well in the 10's with the stock internals but it would be nice to keep all systems in their NORMAL OPERATING RANGE to do it. Why would I spend $35K on a beautiful 03 Cobra and then risk killing it by avoiding a $3500 mod?

Yes you can pulley your Eaton and get it in the 10's. But it's going to cost you big (as you have noted, Kevin) in lots of 'nickel-dime' mods. But more importantly, you will be pushing the Eaton blower FAR into the red and that ultra hot boost increases the risk of breakage to an otherwise solid and stout bottom end motor. IMO, it just doesn't make sense...just to save a couple of thousand dollars.

The KB is by far the most amazing bolt-on mod for our cars. And it goes with our car's setup like beer and pretzels - a perfect match.

I have very few mods: Bassani X (with cats) and Aft-Cat, a Metco tensioner, 55lb injectors, Accufab TB and Denso plugs. That's it. My car has 1800 miles on it (the protective plastic is still on the seats) and it makes 600 RWHP on pump gas with a very safe tune! I was hoping for and expecting 540-550 RWHP with my mods so you can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was with the outcome.

The BEST PART: the car drives EXACTLY as it did stock. And I have NO DOUBT that I could easily dial-in 650-680 RWHP with the 2 1/2" pulley that KB sent me, a race tune and race gas.

But there's no need to do that. It's FAR more car than I can handle right now. And it will run WELL into the 10's with DR's just as it sits. On pump gas and without the need for bags of ice.

:cool:

G

·
Makes complete sense to me guys. I am going to have Pete..he doesnt even know yet...put a KB unit on my Mom's friends Black 03 Convertible as soon as possible. I will be putting one on my baby too and going for broke with it too. Literally ....broke :D

I will have numerous parts forsale guys..so whoever wants them...they have maybe 200 miles on them. Give me a shout.

Hot Rod(9's here I come)Harry
www.Nitrous.com

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hammer,
What can we say, great minds think alike!:D What are the 55lbs injectors going to cost me? What was the ballpark $$ on your KB install?

Take care,

Kevin

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Obiefox said:
Hammer,
What can we say, great minds think alike!:D What are the 55lbs injectors going to cost me? What was the ballpark $$ on your KB install?

Take care,

Kevin
The 55's and harness will cost you about $650 total. The KB install will run you $600 complete.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Makes complete sense to me guys. I am going to have Pete..he doesnt even know yet...put a KB unit on my Mom's friends Black 03 Convertible as soon as possible. I will be putting one on my baby too and going for broke with it too. Literally ....broke :D

I will have numerous parts forsale guys..so whoever wants them...they have maybe 200 miles on them. Give me a shout.

Hot Rod(9's here I come)Harry
www.Nitrous.com
Dude,

Why don't you try ACTUALLY RUNNING what you already have??

:rolleyes:

G

·
HAMMER said:
Dude,

Why don't you try ACTUALLY RUNNING what you already have??

Nah.....thats no fun...I am tired waiting for the good weather..might as well go for broke and when this crap weather finally staightens out...I am ready for the big time :shocked

I know my setup I have now will go 10's. But I want 9's :D

Hot Rod(now where did I put that money tree)Harry
www.Nitrous.com

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hammer, Would I really need the 55lbs ers if I plan to stay on 93 pump gas only at about 16 lbs of boost? $600 for an install is a very fair price.

KO

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Don't you think you would still want headers, throttle body, chip, most things listed in the first post even if you had the kb? I think if you've got the gumption to for out 4 g's for the kb you'll want to add that other stuff too! I think really the only "wasted money" would be the pulleys for the eaton. I guess I'm gonna try to make the eaton as fast as I can and then in a year or two go to the kb. What can I say, like many others on this forum, I am addicted to mods. That's why I bought the Cobra to begin with, because it is so mod friendly. Don't get me wrong, kb is in my future somewhere, but my point is, it would be hard for me to have a kb with all it's glory, and not do all those other parts to give it the sweet exhaust note, etc. Anyway, I'm getting all the other stuff outta the way, maxing out the eaton, and then go for the kb with all the other stuff on the car already. Plus it's just jealousy. I can't even imagine 600 rwhp! WHOHOO!!! Congrats to anybody going for it!

P.S. running on pump gas is VERY important to me as well. I don't want to have a car that I have to fuel up in special spots. Just want to make it as fast as I can for primarily street use!

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
I here where everyone is coming from. I was going to wait till the new body style came out to nab me a stang, but once I saw the KB flowzilla and saw some of the initial reports on it I knew I had to have this car simply due to its potential with the KB kit.

Are larger injectors really necessary? I understand they would be ideal but cant we make up for the shortcoming of the #42's with the KB boost-a-pump

My plans are simple as far as engine mods go at the moment. I was thinking the following

KB flowzilla with 3"pulley (17psi)
KB Big oval TB
JLP CAI
bassani headers, x=pipe and cat backpossibly a plasma booster.

Im hoping to hit 600 with these, think its possible?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If nothing else, shouldn't you at least get a chip when installing a KB? Or a flash tune? Even if you go with #42 injectors and stock exhaust, that is. So, adding everything up would be:

KB $3700 - install $600
chip $350

total: $4650

Add #55's ($650): $5300

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
George Chronis said:
If nothing else, shouldn't you at least get a chip when installing a KB? Or a flash tune? Even if you go with #42 injectors and stock exhaust, that is. So, adding everything up would be:

KB $3700 - install $600
chip $350

total: $4650

Add #55's ($650): $5300
They give you a chip, and a lot of people are installing it themselves.

The injectors shouldn't be counted IMO. You'd need them at a certain HP level, KB blower or not. The stockers will work fine with the base kit as well.

If you go crazy and jack up the boost, throw every other bolt on at it, yea, you'll need a custom tune and injectors. But if you just bolt the KB kit onto a stock Cobra, I think you can get away with $3700. Everyone says the kit is complete. I don't have one, so this is just from what I've read.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
George Chronis said:
The KB does come with a chip which I plan on using until end of may when Fordchip will be in town, I have a dyno apt with them for my F150 and hopefully will have the stang done by then and get it in as well. The KB chip will work fine but anytime you can get the car on the dyno with the tuner thats the best way to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok, good info. Thanks. Now I'm thinking of getting the bolt on KB as well. I don't want excesive boost levels and I'll go with the pulley provided with the kit. I just don't have more than $4,000. Damn! I don't even have $4,000 (but I'll find it). You guys are costing me a lot of money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do the KB setups function like the stock eaton with regards to boost bypass? Meaning you get boost when you ask for it and the boost gets dumped when your just cruising around.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

G

·
Why do people keep asking about boost while driving around, getting dumped? How many times if you are just driving down the highway or even just driving the car normal ,around town, do you see your boost gauge move? Cause I never see my boost gauge move while taking it easy with my baby or driving down the highway. So how can boost dump, without getting on the car?

If your gauge isnt showing any boost..there is none.

I dont know....pay no attention to me...I must have drank too much

Harry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, but if you do get on it when you cruise around, and then you ease off of it, boost gets dumped. The boost bypass mod keeps the boost level steady. I don't like this very much, because I think it creates unecessary strains. I'd like the KB to work just like the Eaton as far as boost bypass is concerned, and I'm also interested in the answer.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The KB's have a bypass valve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts