Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
600 RWHP issues

With about 15 psi or more of boost produced by one of the above devices, we are approaching the limitations of the 03 Cobra's OEM supplied engine support systems and drivetrain. These were not designed for a 600 rwhp car. That is why I will be a sissy for a while and stay with a 450 rwhp car.

I am starting this thread as a place for technical discussion of what is available to better support a 600 RWHP car. Heatons need not apply!

(Attention Moderators, maybe it should be a separate subsection of the Terminator Forum?)

In particular a discussion concerning.

Fuel delivery system in terms of flow and pressure, Pumps, Fuel lines, Boost-a-Pump, etc.

Fuel injectors, Size and duty cycles.

Air Intake, MAF's pegging, Throttle body restriction, What is best CAI on 600 hp car?

Exhausts and headers. What works?

Ignition, Boost a Spark? Plugs and Gap. Plasma Spark, MSD etc.

Heat exchangers, Intercoolers, Fans, thermostats, and coolants.

Tuning, Chips, Dyno Runs.

Nitrous Oxide.

Drivetrain.
Clutch, Transmission Driveshaft, rear end, bushings, shocks, and halfshafts.

Tires and wheels.

Oh Yes, BRAKES!

Did I miss anything.

Lets all toss in our two cents and experiences!

Regards,

Mike69440

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is a grest thread and I will post in a little bit as soon as I have a moment I am taking midterms right now:thumbsdow

Done with the midterms.

THese questions are great and everyone will surely have thier own OPINIONS on these.

My own opinions are the need for a better cooling system, fuel system and suspension, I am begining to work on all these aspects, but I have other projects, I think I bought a L today.
So here we go again. Bigger injectors check, but I feel for the car to perform how I want it to I will need bigger yet, so I will.
I will be switching to Low Imp. injectors this winter, and going Stand alone Fuel management system of some form or another.
Larger fuel pumps 255's like the L's use Jim showed me the difference in the in sides and the outsides of the fuel pumps, defintaley moe flow! Suspension I have no idea what I am going to do yet! The cooling system I have the JDM heat exchanger and love it it works like a charm keeping the charge temp lower consitiently, Now all I have to do is stop shredding belts oh well the price to pay to play I guess.
I will however look into the Works larger blower when it comes out but that probalby won't be for a year or so.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Let me start off and say I am no where near the 600hp mark, but I plan to be by next summer.

Im pretty sure a Manley Hbeam rod is well capable of of supporting the power on tap. Its only when you encounter knock and start adding detonation to a cylinder when things go wrong. Im not sure what kind of other rod you would throw in there, im pretty sure pauter, crower, and some other companies make some good rods as well

more later...have no time now

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
mike69440 said:
600 RWHP issues

With about 15 psi or more of boost produced by one of the above devices, we are approaching the limitations of the 03 Cobra's OEM supplied engine support systems and drivetrain. These were not designed for a 600 rwhp car.
Great idea for a technical discussion, Mike.

For starters, I would like to know exactly what you base the above statement on. How do you know that these engines are approaching their limit at 600 RWHP (meaning approx 700 flywheel HP)?

I am not stating that you are wrong, but I am skeptical of those figures. If we are to approach this technical discussion as accurately as we can, then we need to scrutinize everything.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dont think we are even close to the limits of these engines!
I say everyone hang the bottle on your baby and ride.. Who cares anyway if you torch something along the way! Thats part of the game! If you play you will pay. For sure!
Life will go on. Thats what stroker motors with aluminum conecting rods, Killer heads,And a set of polydyn coated pistons were made for.... Right!
Turn it up!
Strictly.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I touched on standalone engine management over on svtperf.com, nobody seemed to care.

Im not sure how much is to be gained from these setups, but they perform the ultimate in on the fly tuneability, most of them operate off MAP sensor which will eliminate the need for MAS sensors and overunning them which leads to more problems.

Another way to get pass pegging a mas meter is to make a bypass section that allows unmetered air into the motor, place a small pipe with a KN breather filter on it just aft of the meter and you can get additional air in. Im not sure if guys are running into problems yet pinging the meters, they seem to work very well now.

I would like to get some specs from Manley on the stock rods and see what they are rated to.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Limits of 4.6 motor

Hammer,

I find it remarkable that the 4.6 motor as a whole is as durable as it is. The Block could use a wider main bearing, but lubricants and bearing materials have come along way.

I want to keep this discussion limited to street applications that can run on a tune that the motor survives on 93 octane.

There are a lot of factors that determine how much and how long a motor will last at a given power level.

Consider crank fatigue, Rod stress and What is going on with the Rod bolts, wrist pin and piston. The higher the cylinder pressure, side load beat the skirts and rings to hell.

The block moves around, rod caps work, bearings have uneven or point loading.

Cylinder heads try to separate from the block. The gaskets and head bolts on the 4.6 must be well designed. Cylinder pressure tries to distort the valves and valve seats.

I think a supercharged motor generating over 750 hp at the crank to make 600 RWHP will have a sort life as a street motor if you use 600 hp on a daily basis. I suspect a well put together 4.6 will take 1000 hp for a few runs. That being said that 140 CU. in Works blower looks real interesting.

To make this 600 RWHP motor last, everything else needs to be right!

Cheers,

Mike69440

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think you're selling the 4.6 Cobra engine short. I've seen many stock 5.0 bottom end run thousands of miles at 500 RWHP.

And there's no comparison.

5.0: Thin wall, weak casting block. Cast iron crank. Hyper pistons. Weak forged rods. 2 bolt main. 28, or 50 oz out of balance.

4.6: Strong, dump skirt block. Forged steel crank. Strong forged rods. 4 bolt main. Neutral balance.

Weak points of the 4.6 is the overly engineered oil pump with weak gears. And the rod bearings tend to spin.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Strictly Pro said:
I dont think we are even close to the limits of these engines!
I say everyone hang the bottle on your baby and ride.. Who cares anyway if you torch something along the way! Thats part of the game! If you play you will pay. For sure!
Life will go on. Thats what stroker motors with aluminum conecting rods, Killer heads,And a set of polydyn coated pistons were made for.... Right!
Turn it up!
Strictly.
You are a BAD INFLUENCE, my friend!! I am too easily swayed by words like yours...hahahaha!!

What's up with that?? 10 people can tell me to be conservative and take it slow...then one racer can make a post like that and I am ready to paint a Kamakazi logo on my hood.

I need therapy!

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
HAMMER said:
You are a BAD INFLUENCE, my friend!! I am too easily swayed by words like yours...hahahaha!!

What's up with that?? 10 people can tell me to be conservative and take it slow...then one racer can make a post like that and I am ready to paint a Kamakazi logo on my hood.

I need therapy!
Bwahaha, two words for ya Hammer...Boostaholics anonymous! :)

I think these engines are great myself and I would go so far as to say one of the last things we have to worry about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts