Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a re-post. I did a search first.

I have an 08 Bullitt with a 2.6 Kenne Bell 11psi. The intercooler keeps getting air bound and I end up having to fiddle with the hoses to get it running over and over again. I have all the hoses routed so that the pump should not be able to get air. There are no dips in any hoses to allow a bubble to sit at the pump.

The hose from the reservoir goes straight to the pump with no sag or dip. From the pump it goes down to the heat exchanger.

I have read of people having this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has solved it. I have called Kenne bell and they say as long as I have burped it completely they work great. I have done this many, many times. I've had the system open and running for 15 to 20 mins and working fine. Go out and get it warm and it stops again. The clamps are all tight. the hoses are free of pin holes and the intercooler in the lower intake does not have any pin holes.

I'd appreciate any help. Anyone solve this yet?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine had similar issues and I replaced the pump with a Bosch pump used on the lightnings . Just make sure the hose out of the bottom of the reservior to the input of the pump does not have a dip in it . Very important

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah. I was keen on that. There is no dip what so ever on the line from the reservoir. The kit now comes with the lightning pump. Hmm...It appears that not filling the reservoir up so much help. Maybe expansion of the water has been causing it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few random thoughts
"Redline Water Wetter" will help remove the air. I used some in mine. Doubt over filling the reservoir is the issue. That just makes a mess when it leaks out the cap. Perhaps your reservoir tank is not level . Make sure the tank it not tipping away from the reservoir exit port. If you can pull up on your hose from the input to the pump to the bottom of the reservoir it may be trapping air. I cut quite bit off from mine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is level. I actually have it leaning slightly down hill to make sure it can't get a bubble. Leaning slightly toward the pick up. I have hours into this issue. I am considering moving the battery for a larger reservoir and moving the pump. Thanks a lot for your advice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hope you share how you resolve this problem. I've never had an issue like this (that I know of anyway). How did you discover you had the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I found the problem at the track. I was running on stock radials and my mph was only 116. It ran 120 with water flow. I thought that was a little low. It felt flat. It didn't feel faster as the rpm climbed so I checked. The water was not moving. When it is circulating you can actually see the water churning. If you aren't sure then it isn't moving. Anyways I think I have it fixed. Since I have lowered the level of water(as if it holds a lot) it hasn't gotten air bound. I can only think that without having an expansion overflow it churned ghe water at the pump causing the issue. It hasn't happened since I lowered the water level. I think I'm going to get a tank that fits the battery location and move the battery to the trunk.

I used to fill the tank as much as I could. I hope this helps. If you guys try it and it works for you let me know and I'll post it for all. This drove me crazy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Glad you solved it. I lowered my level when I added water weter. Coolant movement was very obvious. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts