Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each and curious what the general opinion out there is.
The new Kenne Bell unit will offer massive torque from about 2500rpm on up.
The centrifugal family (vortech/procharger/etc.) are directly related to engine rpm.
As a daily driver and not a race car, I believe the Kenne Bell would be better suited for me.
I'm also comparing this to the 03 cobra and the 99-up lighting trucks.
Or should I just go with a 4valve swap with more compression/better cams/head work/etc. and fuhgettaboutit?
:D

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
492 Posts
The amount of $ I am spending to do the heads, cams and other stuff to make it all work, it's costing me just as much as the KB would have. I am paying about $1K just in the R+R heads, time cams, so if you can do that yourself, you can save that much. L&M is doing the head porting and thats gonna run $1500. Add parts and then the dyno tuning afterwords, and its about the same as the KB is gonna cost.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure your mods will have greater results if you added a supercharger later on.
My ultimate goal is to have around 475-500 rwhp when I am finished and still have a 100% daily driver with all the creature comforts it has now.
I'm looking into rebuilding the shortblock later on and adding the cobra crank, forged rods/pistons, still not sure if I'm going to use the PI heads, SVO heads, or convert to the 4 valve heads.
I want a torque monster when I'm done that I won't have to rev to 7500rpm to make all the power.

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
482 Posts
Then you answered your own question..... KB is the right choice if you want low end torque. Sometimes all it takes is bouncing the idea off others.

You could also go turbo if you want to be ambitious :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think for the money $$$ that the KB will be a good choice.
However, my engine builder REALLY wants me to go with a Vortech S-trim.
He said it will give me all the power I need and offer good driveability and reliability.
:)
Maybe I will wait until someone on here posts some dyno numbers and can give some feedback on the KB unit for the 2valve.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think most builders say to go with a cent. sc because they are a proven combination.....there's tons of them out there. However it could be debated if they are the *best* option.

A KB or a turbo will offer you much more torque down low. I consistently make 75ft/lb more than the sc's at 3k - and I am only at 8psi and on a very safe tune currently. Some will say that power down that low isn't usable on the street as you'll just go up in smoke....just comes down to your school of thought.

Personally I would take a torque motor over a hp motor anyday....but others will disagree 100%.....to each their own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it depends on your intentions for the car. If its more of a driver, the Bell will be more fun on the street because of the torque. I am a vortech fan, and if you plan to upgrade, they offer the JT race version, so it depends. I don't think you will be to disappointed in either.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts