Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all has suffered from a kidney stone?

About two months ago, I went into work and was sitting at my desk. I had an incredible pain come over my, just below my rigcage, on the left side of my body. Following it was intense nausea. I ended up laying in the floor of my office, broke out in a sweat.

I thought something was bad wrong with me. I never had any of the back or kidney pains.

My wife picked me up from work and drove me home. Talk about a rough ride! It felt like it took 2 hours to make a 5 minute trip. I felt every bump in the road.

Got home, laid down, and suffered through it. Felt like my left testicle was in a vise.

Couple hours pass, and then I felt fine. Occasional pain, but nothing as severe as that first pain. After enough Googling, I convinced myself it was just a kidney stone.

Days went by and I had no pain. Then I felt it again, but not as severe. I decided to go into the ER to be assured it was a kidney stone and not something life threatning. They performed a CT scan and came back with the results. A 4mm kidney stone on the side I was hurting on, and another stone in the other kidney growing, currently at 2mm.

They gave me meds for pain, told me to drink lots of water.

That was 2 months ago! Still haven't passed this bad boy. Pain has been minimal. Last night and today it has been hurting, but nothing I can't deal with.

Anyone else had a kidney stone hang around this long?

· Registered
252 Posts
I've had about 13 of them, not fun at all. They say once you start getting them the likely hood of you getting more drastically increases. I haven't had one hang around that long. You probably already passed it not knowing. My advise is to continue drinking a lot of water as that is the #1 reason for getting them. Also, when I first get up I put a bunch of lemon juice in my water. The citric acid actually breaks down the stones. So I would start putting lemon juice in my water if I was you. Hope this helps!

· In God We Trust
700 Posts
+1 on the lemon juice . . . I mix some of the straight lemon juice (green two pack containers from Sam's Club) with a gallon of water and try to drink each day. Are we all getting old faster?? I had back surgery in March of this year, it's still bad . . . I have to get a root canal and crown done this week . . . i'm getting arthritis in various joints on my body . . . I'm only 30 what the heck?! Good luck Eric, those stones I've heard are a bear! Can't they laser them?

· Registered
293 Posts
I've had one and went through Lithotripsy to break it up , But still passed it in one piece a week later... What a relief!!!

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
One of my troops just passed one...exactly 4mm in size. Go figure...I won't mention how he said it felt when it passed. Water helps...so does alcohol. Just saying.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Ouch! There's a couple ways to have them broken up, shattered, or even virtually disintegrated so they can pass easier. One of them is ultrasonic I think.

Also if you keep getting them you might consider a parathyroid test to see if that's the cause. A doc here at UCLA (boo hiss) is the master of that surgery. I had a family member come halfway across the country to have it done there.

Good luck.

· Registered
889 Posts
You may want to have a look at your diet as well. If you eat too much fatty foods, or love cheese. You may want to change your diet. That will help with future episodes of this condition.

· I'm Your Huckleberry!
1,370 Posts
My brother in-law used to get them a lot, but they narrowed it down to rich seafood and meat. He stays away from red meat, lobster, crab, and oysters and he's been golden since then.

Good luck, I hear it's a painful sumbitch!

· Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was extremely busy in the shop over the summer and drank little. Pretty sure that is what caused it.

I saw a urologist today. They scheduled surgery to remove it Monday. They go in and extract it, or break it with laser and remove the pieces. Then they leave a stint in that has a string on it. After 3-4 days you snatch the string to remove the stint (HOLY F***)

I'm praying it just passes this weekend, because the thought of snatching on something is nauseating to me.

· Registered
535 Posts
Duuuuuuude!!!! Those suck soooo bad! I passed two within six months of each other.

The first one they gave me morphine for. Passed out, woke up, and felt better. I had already passed the stone, the pain I felt was from passing the stone.

Second was worse, they gave me dilaudid which put me in a coma like sleep for 8-9 hours... Woke up, took a piss, passed it and went home.

Ironically, I had the same nurse both times, and she said that passing a kidney stone is as close as a man can get to feeling what it's like to have a kid. In fact, she went onto say that she had four kids and had also passed a kidney stone. She said the kidney stone was worse than child labor.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
I was diagnosed with one I never felt at which point I started drinking only Light Cranbury juice. I passed it without ever knowing and still drink the cranbury juice, lemonade, plum juice for digestive and urinary tract health. I don't want to go through what my dad did of lithrotripsy, followed by a stint winding up in his kidney and having it removed out his back. Following that was piss coming out his back through the wound!!

· Premium Member
18,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was diagnosed with one I never felt at which point I started drinking only Light Cranbury juice. I passed it without ever knowing and still drink the cranbury juice, lemonade, plum juice for digestive and urinary tract health. I don't want to go through what my dad did of lithrotripsy, followed by a stint winding up in his kidney and having it removed out his back. Following that was piss coming out his back through the wound!!
I've basically decided not to have the surgery until I'm hurting. At this point, I've had some pain, but it comes and goes and I can wait out passing this thing.

· Registered
90 Posts
I had one kidney stone about 20 years ago. Trip to ER. IV with demerol drip to take edge off pain. Went home & passed within a couple of days. Stone was only about size of a grain of sand. Hard to believe something so small could cause so much pain. I was lucky and have had no recurrences.

Like others above have noted, diet can be a factor in preventing stones & lots of water is good. My urologist indicated over 90% of stones are calcium oxylate based and the stones people more rarely get are uric acid based.

Good luck Eric! Hope it resolves quickly & doesn't come back.

· Registered
554 Posts
had one a couple of years back. woke up in the middle of the night with what i thought was intestinal gas.no mater what i did it would not go away..after 45 min the pain focused on my lower left back side. a bit under the rib cage.. sort of came and went in waves... only way i can discrive it is, felt like someone stuck me with an ice pick left it inside me and would tap on it every couple of seconds to make sure it was still there.. after about 4 hours the pain went away and so far so good. no more pains.. ex wife had one also ,,said she would wrather give birth than have to go through another one... ive literaly felt your pain brother.

· Registered
85 Posts
I have had 3. passed 2 of them had the unpleasant kind of surgery to have it removed. I waited a week and a half before I went for surgery.

never heard of the lemon juice but I am going to start that. I drink a lot of water but I still get about 1 a year to 16 months.

· Demented and old
5,289 Posts
You may want to have a look at your diet as well. If you eat too much fatty foods, or love cheese. You may want to change your diet. That will help with future episodes of this condition.
mountain dew is bad too-but i wont stop-i have had several, good luck eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.