Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the the turbo forums section figuring I would get more automatic swap guys. Just like the title reads, I did a TH400 swap and now I have a knocking noise at idle. Fluid level is set perfectly and no interference with flywheel or torque converter in housing. I have removed the transmission already and checked flywheel bolts and torque converter bolts. No cracks in flywheel. I also cut open the oil filter and checked for metal..... nothing. The only reason I'm posting this is for any crazy ideas I have'nt thought of before I ship the torque converter or transmission out to builders. I've considered starting the engine without the torque convertor installed to make sure its not in the engine. Both the TH400 and Torque Converter are from very reputable companies that most of us are using. I wont say the names because they have been very good to me, and its undetermined so far the issue. Its not a cold or hot noise....it always does it. And oil pressure is 90 @start up and 30 when @ FOT. The noise is there no matter what gear its in. P,N,1,2,3. Goes away at around 1500 RPM.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is the gear on the starter hitting the flywheel? Just a thought, I had that on an old car I had years ago.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Few things. You should be using the factory engine spacer plate. Why did you decide to not use it?

Did you buy the adapter for the TQ converter to fit in the back of the crank where the converter meets up with it?

Did you check converter clearance to flywheel? If so what was it?

What size is the TQ converter (physical size) and what Bellhousing are you using? Its possible for the TQ converter to hit the bellhousing if the converter is to big for the housing.

You can unbolt the TQ converter from the fw and push it back towards the trans and start the car briefly to see if the noise is still present.

Did you seat the converter correctly on the trans input shaft? It should click 3 times to seat properly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removed the torque convertor and started the engine.....Noise is still there @ back of the engine. You cant hear the knock in the engine bay, just under the car. I cut open the oil filter and found only minor gold specs. Sounds like I may have taken out the rear thrust bearing. I put a prybar on flywheel and was able to see movement of crankshft..... not sure if it was more then .008" until I get my dial indicator from work. All I can figure is that I just couldnt hear the noise with the T56 considering it had a full bell housing. The TH400 bellhousing leaves the back of the block partialy exposed. I'll drop the pain and see what I find. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
But how tight was the converter to the flexplate when you originally installed it? What was the gap? Not having that spacer plate could have jammed that converter against the back of the crank to much and wiped out the thrust bearing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Torque Converter spacing was exactly 3/16". JW crank adapter was used and was in crankshaft 1/4". The spacing plate was not used because the Reid Bellhousing pushed the transmission so far back that a custom crank adapter was necessary to extend it 1/4" longer then the standard JW adapter. Losing the plate brought me that much closer and reduced the spacers necessary to achieve the proper converter spacing. I sold the spacer with my t56. All of this was known and advised by the transmission builder and the torque converter builder. I do not feel that the transmission or the converter were related to the fault in hind sight. When I removed the t56 last year the pilot bearing fell out in about 5 pieces and the DFX clutch had all types of issues after beating on it for a few years. I think the damage was done already. The noise was heard the very first time I started the car after the swap...... before driving it. Thats why I thought it was something in the converter or trans.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I didn't use my engine spacer plate for the th400 swap. Have had no issues.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
You don't use the spacer with the Jw bell.
You are right. My apologies. I just went back and looked at my old TH400 swap pics. I did not use the spacer either.

·
Registered
544 Posts
any updates?

I'm guessing a rod bearing knock after the thrust bearing was wiped out

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No updates yet. My son will be born in a few months so my priorities have shifted. The car is on jackstands waiting to have the engine pulled out. I wouldnt be surprised if the rod bearings touched down. I will update this accordingly to give others some info or help if necessary. I plan to rebuild it myself. She ran strong for 3 years at 20+ lbs of boost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iam experiencing the same exact issue as you were.I realize this post was years ago .I was just wondering what the problem ended up being.I ended up pulling the flex plate and putting on the flywheel that was originally on the car and running it and the noise went away.Iam thinking it was a bad flexplate but not sure waiting on a new one should be here friday.hoping it’s the flex plate and not the engine.engine only has 2000 miles on it and was built by a very reputable place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts