Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the hell do you move that thing out of the way. Spent 6 hours attempting to remove stock manifold yesterday. Passenger side is done, but two bolts remain on the drivers side and I see no way of getting to them without moving the steering shaft. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....BO

·
Registered
85 Posts
There is a bolt at the bottom you have to remove. When it is out the shaft will slide up and come apart. I believe you'll need a 13 mm wrench to loosen it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A couple tips for you...
The dipstick tube closely hugs the block and the factory gasket is in two pieces because of this. You can either cut your header gasket in two to install it or slide it lengthways behind the tube. It's a snug fit but it will go and then the tube actually helps hold it in place.
If you got the coated headers check the flanges for any 'runs'. Sand or file them off if you have any so you don't have to contend with leaks. Make sure you clean all the filings out of the tubes before you install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a poor photo but on the left side of the right hand flange you can make out a bump caused by a run in the coating. The left hand flange has already been filed smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I see you're in Hawaii. If you would be so kind as to buy me a plane ticket I would be willing to to inconveniance myself and leave cold, snowy, salty, sloppy Pennsylvania and help you finish the install. :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
:) when you take the bolt out ,slip the shaft off the rac. then you will have to grind 2 spots on the shaft , they are flats on the shaft, grind them down , then the shaft will pull apart,
If you have any probs. call me I will help 856 697 5254 pete

·
Registered
85 Posts
nitrous pete said:
:) when you take the bolt out ,slip the shaft off the rac. then you will have to grind 2 spots on the shaft , they are flats on the shaft, grind them down , then the shaft will pull apart,
I didn't have to grind anything on mine? Did I get lucky or something? :confused:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did you remove the shaft, Or just set it aside, I removed mine this made it easier
Maby some cars are different.
Oh , I forgot you will have to remove the plastic coller, or it wil get in the way, Sug. Hot knife,

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just slid mine up and set it aside. I didn't even try to remove it completely.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, you guys are the $hit. Thanks for all the replies. I had thought that bolt was nothing more than a clamp and just backing it out a ways was all that was needed. Working on an outside lift, and of all days it decides to rain like hell. Looks like I wont get back to it till tomorrow. Thanks Pete and CobraBruce for the proper knowledge. Will try to post pics once complete and a Sound clip. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Also . if the dip stick tube is in the way, I grinded more clearance
between the too tubes in the middle, The flange . so the dip stick fits between them. You may also want to tweek the tube back some

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks pete. The steering shaft popped out just like yall said. Working now on taking apart the primary's to start install, what a bitch. It's like they were attached then plated. I'm sure the easiest way is to install one at a time, but how hard was it to pull them apart?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wiggled and pulled and tapped with a rubber mallet and wiggled and pulled. I also did a lot of this :damnit

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. LOL. Had to take a break. Heading back to the shop. Update you guys later. Thanks for all the help......BO

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Primarys in on one side, two left on passenger side. Called it a night after trying for about an hour to get that top bolt in on the starter. SOB it is. Had to have a Beer. So far, time invested is about 10hrs. Not too bad for a non-wrench turner I guess. Get back at it tomorrow. Later.....BO

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ahh yes, the top starter bolt. You will need a 13mm universal jointed socket and 3 10" extensions (or the equivalent). I believe the photo is of when I was doing that and should give you a good idea how I got to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Or maybe it was this one. At any rate you will need the aforementioned socket and extensions. The photos show how I got to some of the more challenging bolts around the starter area. Hope they help.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of familiar views. Should get it wrapped up today. Can't wait to hear this thing. With an O/R X, this thing will probably be a "little" loud.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts