Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Saleen Blower cars use a larger Resevoir tank.
MJ, The (Maf burner) dude:D Told me he's thinking of trying one.
What do you guys think??
It add a little more coolant..How much coolant do our cars hold?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think that's a damn good idea.

More coolant capacity is always good, except for the weight, but who cares if the I/C works better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a bigger Resevoir tank keep temps constantly lower due to the fact that it would take the fluid a longer cooling cycle before getting to the intercooler again?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Quick Question here, it was around 80 here today and I took my car back on some backroads and beat on it pretty damn good, 5-6 full throttle runs, drove around for about 10 minutes after that came back to the garage, popped off the intercooler cap and carefully stuck my finger in there, it was warm not hot by any means, how can it get much better than that, I was amazed at how the coolant in there wasnt hot after the hard runs I had just made??

·
Registered
309 Posts
Trey193,
Are you still running stock pulleys? If so, then your system is not generating the type heat that would be necc. for a larger tank or heat exchanger. Stock boost does not generate that much heat. When my car was running stock boost, the difference between IAT and IAT2 were only about 20-25 degrees. Now during a hard run, with just a 2.80 pulley, that temp will climb to at least 60-70 degrees higher than IAT.

The key thing is to try and get the IAT2 temp down as close to the IAT temp as possible. Dropping it below would give you the ultimate results, but will need ice or nitrous to do that. A larger tank, larger heat exchanger, and higher volume pump are all possibilities. Fans will do a nice job of keeping that temp constant.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yep stock boost here, I see what you are saying , well this weekend I will do the same thing hence I will have my 2.93 on and i can see the difference!

·
L&M Engines
274 Posts
Delta "T"

Gentlemen,
A larger resevoir will only increase the length of time for the coolant to absorb the heat radiated by the intercooler. Over time the coolant will be the same irrespective of resevoir volume.

Air charge temperture is a function of ambient air temp, supercharger adiabatic efficiency, pressure ratio (boost), intercooler efficiency and intercooler radiator efficiency.

Change any one of those items and charge temperature changes.

Air charge temperature effects density ratio.

Density ratio is directly proportional to power.

Remember an engine is a volume device - CFM

Power/Torque is mass dependent - Density

//Michael

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ummm, isn't there a PUMP? A resevoir ain't gonna do squat. The PUMP controls the flow. All a bigger resevoir will do is help with heat soak over a longer period of time. Alot longer than a couple of 11 second blasts.:D

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
svtman said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a bigger Resevoir tank keep temps constantly lower due to the fact that it would take the fluid a longer cooling cycle before getting to the intercooler again?
Exactly. Unless you are open tracking and running WOT for hours on end, more liquid will always be better. For street driving, it should yield more consistant intercooler temps. It's just a larger heatsink basically.

You'll have to upgrade the heat exchanger at the point where the exchanger can't keep the coolant temps where you want them to be under your typical usage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts