Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have the cash to spend on a full coil-over suspension package for my '03. My investigations so far have lead to a preference for the Griggs GR-40 Street package. I know Griggs is the more expensive option, but I'm ok with that. I have heard plenty of good things about the Maximum Motorsport kits as well though.

It won't be long before I commit to ordering something, so any added advice would be appreciated.

Oz

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You really can't go wrong either way. Just make sure you use the MM Caster/Camber plates either way they are much stronger and better pieces for coil-over duty. I have full MM suspension except for the K-member and am very happy. I will be doing the Griggs K-member soon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had both....I currently have the MM.

While it won't shave as much weight off the front, I feel their TA setup is a bit better (since they looked at Griggs' design and went from there).

Also there have been several reports lately of Griggs A-arms failing - check out the RRAX mailing list, some of the guys who really stress their parts are having problems.

Get the MM and put the rest of the money into something else for the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have two cars with IRS, my 03 Cobra and an 02 GT that I use for open track events. I have found the best combo to be a mix of parts from Maximum Motorsports (cam/cas plates, rear cradle bushings full length sub frames) Kenny Brown (coil overs, rear steer kit, rear carrier bushings, rear springs) and Steeda (front sway bar) Kenny Brown is at the forefront as far as IRS upgrades go, Maximum has the best quality available, Steeda front bar is the best available at this time. Ask anyone who knows my GT, it's a 3400 lb GO CART.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
snkypete said:
Also there have been several reports lately of Griggs A-arms failing - check out the RRAX mailing list, some of the guys who really stress their parts are having problems.
I have the MM LCA's and they are some really beefy pieces even though they are still light. They are much stronger then the Griggs standard duty pieces. Also I know several people with Griggs standard duty pieces and for some reason all of there LCA pivot mounts don't line up correctly.

The main failures I have heard concerning the Griggs LCA's are people who run the standard duty control arms in high stress racing events with coil-overs.

These are the Grigg's Standard Duty LCA's

These are the Grigg's Severe Duty LCA's

These are the MM LCA's

·
Registered
482 Posts
Correct it has been the standard duty LCA's....and Griggs' reply is they should be using the HD units. Myself and others do not think that is an acceptable answer, but to each their own. It is a known issue, and one I believe MM saw when they designed their own LCA's and made changes to avoid the same mistake.

The extra weight of the kmember is well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
magic maker said:
I have two cars with IRS, my 03 Cobra and an 02 GT that I use for open track events. I have found the best combo to be a mix of parts from Maximum Motorsports (cam/cas plates, rear cradle bushings full length sub frames) Kenny Brown (coil overs, rear steer kit, rear carrier bushings, rear springs) and Steeda (front sway bar) Kenny Brown is at the forefront as far as IRS upgrades go, Maximum has the best quality available, Steeda front bar is the best available at this time. Ask anyone who knows my GT, it's a 3400 lb GO CART.
The KB rear steer kit is not needed on the 03 Cobra as we have revised inboard mounting locations which are ~5 mm lower and reinforced knuckles which is what the rear steer kit provided to the pre 03 IRS assemblies. I personally would not use anything made by KB on my car, but that is my opinion. They are not the most respected company when it comes to suspension components anymore. Among other things there front LCA's shorten track by ~.75" because they didn't want to make two versions of LCA's one for pre SN-95 and one for SN-95 chassis so they just split the difference.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
snkypete said:
The extra weight of the kmember is well worth it IMO.
I am assuming you are talking about the MM K-member. My biggest problem with the MM K-member is that you have to relocate the oil filter on the Cobra's. This might not be the worse thing if you go for real oil cooler since our cars are not the best at heat control. The other issues with the MM K-member are it weighs more, provides less motor access, and actually costs more then the Griggs unit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
TooFast4U.......since you seem to be the resident expert... :worship2 ..... when you do the Griggs K-member would you still be able to use the MM LCAs? I don't know enough about all the changes in suspension geometry these parts make and if they are interchangeable. I have searched previous threads where you had talked about this. Appreciate your time to share the knowledge. :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
snkypete......when I talked to Griggs about doing their suspension the guy I talked to didn't even consider standard LCAs for our cars just because of the front end weight. He insisted on the severe duty LCAs. He was an owner/driver with a lot of experience with Griggs so I figured it was pretty sound advice. Just adding my experience on the subject.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
predator said:
TooFast4U.......since you seem to be the resident expert... :worship2 ..... when you do the Griggs K-member would you still be able to use the MM LCAs? I don't know enough about all the changes in suspension geometry these parts make and if they are interchangeable. I have searched previous threads where you had talked about this. Appreciate your time to share the knowledge. :cool:
The only problem with using the MM LCAs with the Grigg's K-member is if the LCA pivot point bushing shell will clear the modified mounting location. The MM LCAs have a larger shell diameter then the Griggs LCAs and the upper mounting location on the Griggs K-member is close the the tubular support. As far as suspension geometry goes it will be fine. The Griggs LCA and MM non-offset LCA are the same geometry. The MM forward offset LCAs which is 0.75" would provide to much forward offset for a street driven car with the addition of a Grigg K-member. The Griggs solution incorporates all of the modified geometry points in the K-member itself which includes a 1.125" forward offset. The MM solution incorporates some of the modified geometry in the K-member which includes a forward off-set of 0.75" and some in there modified LCAs which is an additional 0.75" for a total offset of 1.5".

·
Registered
482 Posts
toofast4u said:
I am assuming you are talking about the MM K-member. My biggest problem with the MM K-member is that you have to relocate the oil filter on the Cobra's. This might not be the worse thing if you go for real oil cooler since our cars are not the best at heat control. The other issues with the MM K-member are it weighs more, provides less motor access, and actually costs more then the Griggs unit.
Relocating the filter I guess wouldn't be that large of a concern for me (and us 2v guys don't have to do it ;) ).

Yes it weighs more, that was what I was referring to.

what motor access are you losing that is necessary? What can you no longer access that could be modified? Only thing that comes to mind would be headers and I would drop the K to do that anyway - just easier.

I'd have to check the latest prices on the kmember alone. But when I priced the entire packages last fall, Griggs was substantially higher for the entire front/rear kit (read : thousands). Additionally if you want to access the differential you have to take the TA off. The Griggs TA has had issues with the front mount breaking as well (I do not know the cause of failure whether it was fatigue, faulty product, or user error so I can't comment on it).

Predator - when did you talk to them? That conversation might have been a result of the failures. The guys on RRAX are real racers...very good list for information. They wouldn't do something half @#$% if that was the recommendation at the time from Griggs. (I'd compare it to corner-carvers.com versus the Korral, two totally different clientele of users). I'm not trying to slam Griggs, I was always a big fan. But I think the options on the MM kit and the integrity of their pieces make them a better deal. A lot of people are swapping over to MM from Griggs.

I personally went for stock LCA's so I only have a .75 offset. I didn't want to get into modifying the fenders on this car like I did on my '91 with the Griggs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
snkypete......I had to dig out my quote sheet to check......I was talking to Griggs this past April/May. No doubt those that know what they are doing would not trash their cars on purpose. Just seemed interesting the coincidence between what you have seen and what I was told. I hear ya about the cost! I could almost buy another 03 by the time they gave me the total.....but that was them doing the install too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
toofast4u....thanks for the info. I had researched the LCAs and offsets with Griggs and MM. I too am not interested in modifying fenders to make things work. I was just wondering what your plan might be when you do the Griggs K-member, since you already have the MM LCAs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That was about the time of the failures....so I cannot say if it was due to them or if they just felt in the past that the Foxes were lighter and have since found issues with the standard pieces in a full race environment. I've talked to Bruce several times in the past and his customer support was always top notch. Why several 'diehards' were somewhat confused. I had already made the decision however to use MM when this information came out so for me it was moot, but rather interesting.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
snkypete said:
what motor access are you losing that is necessary? What can you no longer access that could be modified? Only thing that comes to mind would be headers and I would drop the K to do that anyway - just easier.
That is mainly what I was talking about header access.

snkypete said:
I'd have to check the latest prices on the kmember alone. But when I priced the entire packages last fall, Griggs was substantially higher for the entire front/rear kit (read : thousands).
The Griggs k-member costs 765.00 and the MM costs 649. The MM requires an oil filter relocation kit which is 250 and some other small components that add a couple additional dollars.

snkypete said:
Additionally if you want to access the differential you have to take the TA off. The Griggs TA has had issues with the front mount breaking as well (I do not know the cause of failure whether it was fatigue, faulty product, or user error so I can't comment on it).
Luckily I don't have to worry about a TA any more with the IRS.

snkypete said:
I personally went for stock LCA's so I only have a .75 offset. I didn't want to get into modifying the fenders on this car like I did on my '91 with the Griggs.
I don't want to screw with the fenders again I wouldn't go much more the a 1" of forward off-set either. It is not worth the problems on a street car.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
predator said:
toofast4u....thanks for the info. I had researched the LCAs and offsets with Griggs and MM. I too am not interested in modifying fenders to make things work. I was just wondering what your plan might be when you do the Griggs K-member, since you already have the MM LCAs.
I have the standard version so I could use either and not have to worry about the off-set. I need to talk to some people again to see if anybody has done the MM with the Griggs modified location and if they fit or there were issues.

I personnally recommend doing the MM components they are top quality and work great. I have what they consider a race-setup and it handles awesome on the street without any problems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What are you running for spring rates up front? Do you know the weight of your car (total and corner)

Thx

·
Registered
250 Posts
What he said........I saw your component list and was wondering how you arrived at the spring rates. What kind of racing are you doing, or plan to do, with your car?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
snkypete said:
What are you running for spring rates up front? Do you know the weight of your car (total and corner)

Thx
I am running coil-overs in the front and rear. My front set-up is MM race-spec bilstein struts with 425# springs and my rear is 00R spec bilstein shocks with 650# springs. I don't know exactly, but would expect my car with fuel and me weight approx 3900 Ibs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts