Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car to the track 2 weeks ago for what was likely going to be my last chance of the year. I spent some time looking at AJ's (Mofasta) set up and took a few measurements. I compared them to mine and made a few tweaks. Not the same but split the difference. Those changes along with a GREAT track prep'd netted some nice wheelies and improved 60's. I was working my way up on the 2-step rpm but ran out of time. Started the night at 3800 and left at 4700 on the last pass, which netted me a new best of 1.450. I am wish I had gone to 5000 but that is what next year is for. I know there is a lot more in the suspension and launch, but am happy it finally hooked...and a new pb.

Here is the video a buddy put together for me and I have another one or two angles that I will get loaded later. Please let me know your thoughts on the suspension movement, from what you can see. I have some thoughts but do not want to bias anyone.

Larry's Cobra 10.21 @ 135 - YouTube

LT

· Registered
3,027 Posts
Great video, times, and you have a beautiful car! That's my favorite track in your video too.

· un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,453 Posts
Wow Larry you wasn't kidding about having alot cameras, some cool video and awesome launches. A little more 2-step rpm and tighten up the rear shocks a little with a 1/2-1 psi more air in rears and you'll be in the 1.30's .....LoL..... Again congradulations and look forward to running with you next spring.

AJ
Mofasta

· Registered
746 Posts
Nice Vids. Your car really moves!

· Boost-aholic
2,819 Posts
Nice vid...I think it's funny to hear you hoot'n and hollering at the end of the video. I shouldn't say much because I'll the the same way when I get some good runs in. Congrats on a new best and next season come out swing'n!!!

Jr.

· Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!!!

Yeah, the cameras have corded mics that were in the car. I forgot this and am embarrassed he left the verbals on there. Lol!!!

I think it does need more rpm on launch and more air in the tires. With these changes and good air it should really move! The car went 139.5 in BG twice in the great air, so if I can put that together with a launch it should be 9s. Is it spring yet???

LT

· Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheelies are just wasted motion, the car will be faster with less air under the tires..
I do not disagree. I am just happy to see it actually hook completely. I need to try to get it to move forward now more than up while still maintaining traction. I had tightened the front shocks 1 turn on those runs and may look at doing it another turn to try to limit the speed of the front end moving up. I am new to the suspension game, so everything is a learning experience at this point.

LT

· Registered
644 Posts
friggen rocket! nice!

and wheelie suspension tuning issues are a good problem to have :D

· Administrator
9,825 Posts
Nice work Larry.

BTW Joe (Allgo) is right, less air under the front tires will xlate into better short times. The time you spend climbing the ring gear with the pinion is lost forward motion. AJ's short times improved substantially this year over last. The auto gave him a much better launch although he still had more air than needed under the front tires. Try tightening up your front shocks and/or taking a little axle away if the wheelies persist.

Great looking car and nice driving.

Ed

· Administrator
9,825 Posts
Thank guys!

Ed - what do you mean by "taking some axle away?"

LT
Going to a taller rear end ratio to take mechanical advantage away from the engine Larry. For example, if you had a 4.1 ring and pinion it would mean going to a 3.73 (or 3.90 if you could find it). If you had a 3.73 it would mean going to a 3.55. The idea is to make it more difficult for the engine to climb the ring gear and do it without adding weight to the front of the car. That way all or nearly all of the torque is used to accelerate the car from the line and little or no torque is being used for wheel standing.

Generally the stouter the engine's torque curve the less of a mechanical crutch you need to launch the car. PD blown cars have a thunderous low speed torque curve (if you tune then right) and if you are not careful it will cause the car to stand up on the rear tires.

Ideally you want to leave the line w/o the rear squatting (that's what AJ's mods allow you to do) and then carry the front tires about 2" off the ground right through first gear, pick them up for a moment in second gear settling down in about a car length or so and then never leave the ground again. If you launch like this, from the outside it will look like your car was shot out of a cannon in first gear - it is really impressive both for the spectators and also for the driver. It is devastating on the competition. More mistakes are made by drivers who are trying to catch up than are made by drivers that are out front.

Ed

· Boost-aholic
2,819 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.