Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be heading to the track next weekend (Weather Permitting) to try out my new 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials. I was hoping to get some input from you guys on what tire pressure you run and how hard you leave the line on them. Any help would be appreciated.;)

Razor.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
My experiance with Nitto's:
Hopefully the track will be preeped good.
I would heat them up good,, Run 16lbs and a 3000 rpm launch with riding the clutch lightly.
That is a good place to start.You can up the RPM's and lower the tire pressure from there.
good luck.........

jim v.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
My experiance with Nitto's:
Hopefully the track will be preeped good.
I would heat them up good,, Run 16lbs and a 3000 rpm launch with riding the clutch lightly.
That is a good place to start.You can up the RPM's and lower the tire pressure from there.
good luck.........

jim v.
Thanks Jim.;) I go to MIR in Maryland and they usually have great track prep. I heard Nitrous Pete pulled 1.6 60ft times on these tires, is this true? I think they will do o.k. but i am not expecting greatness from them.

Razor.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
akatherazor4 said:
Thanks Jim.;) I go to MIR in Maryland and they usually have great track prep. I heard Nitrous Pete pulled 1.6 60ft times on these tires, is this true? I think they will do o.k. but i am not expecting greatness from them.

Razor.
I would expect 1.8's.. With my 96 KenneBell Cobra (400RWHP) I would get mostly 1.8's and an occasional 1.7 with my Nitto's.
If you bog on first pass that is good sign that track is hooking. You can then up the launching RPM's.
If tires are new? Don't forget to rough them up before you get to the track,, a few heat cycles and a few good burnouts as soon as you got them on the car..

jim v.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
I would expect 1.8's.. With my 96 KenneBell Cobra (400RWHP) I would get mostly 1.8's and an occasional 1.7 with my Nitto's.
If you bog on first pass that is good sign that track is hooking. You can then up the launching RPM's.
If tires are new? Don't forget to rough them up before you get to the track,, a few heat cycles and a few good burnouts as soon as you got them on the car..

jim v.
Will do Jim and thanks for the advice. I will update you on my track day sometime next week. I am shooting for 1.7's.:D

Razor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
In the lightning I run 28 psi, I have dropped down as low as 15 but it still gets the same 60 ft. With 28 it is much more stabble on the big end. BTW I get 1.70 60 ft on the nitttos on the truck and the sig says what the Cobra does on street tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ohhhh

THAT PICTURE man thats nice.....starting to make me like torch more than yellow hehehehehe looks soo good what a pic with the chrome ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok

WOW 16PSI I was only going down to 22-25! and getting 1.9 60fts but i guess thats not really that good....still I was happy with 12.5

I'll try lower but 1.9 60 and 12.56 wasnt bad i thought for stock well k+N air silencer off but otherwise stock. AND NO WHEEL HOP ISSUES.

I wonder if Ill get the wheel hop so many people are complaining about if I lower the preasure... WHAT EXACTLY CAUSES WHEEL HOP??? too much traction right????

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: ohhhh

silverbullet said:
WHAT EXACTLY CAUSES WHEEL HOP??? too much traction right????
Nope. The lack of traction causes wheel hop.

G

·
One thing I have noticed through the years with wheel hop. If your car is prone to it...radial tires cause it more than bias ply tires/slicks. So who knows...maybe alot of use once we switch to the Mickey Thompson ET streets bias plys for track duty..the wheel hop may be gone all together. I know alot of my older musclecars I have restored hated radials when it came to wheel hop.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
64 Posts
hmmm

ok i guess that makes sense duhhhh when I have nittos at the track and they are heated up I dont have wheel hop

anyway I cant wait to really lower the PSI and see how much better I can do. Sounds like I can still improve my 60 ft.

Whats everyones 60 with NITTOS? I had 1.90 but maybe a 1.80 is very possible?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't give you times on Nitto's because I am awaiting the MT's... but I run 1.90's on the F-1's

·
Registered
124 Posts
chillfactor said:
1.75 on street tires.....and I am going to wait on the MTs.
I need to pay you for lessons. :D

The best I did a week ago was 1.94 (1st track visit and 2nd of 3 runs in the car). I did hit the 1/8th in 7.58 at 96.3. Of course the full timers were out during my runs so no 1/4 number. I figure that run would have got me a 11.7 and my first visit to the HRP tech group. ;) The car never bounced, hopped, or chattered with the new rears so obviously I could have done better or at least the car was capable of doing better. :p

·
Registered
404 Posts
They had already shut me down for the night and said I could stay if I did not break 11s again, so on the next run I hit the 1.75 and a 7.5 1/8 mile and 9.5 1000 ft, then hard on the brakes...still rolled through the traps at 12.3 @ 83 MPH.........what a great night.:) I will be happy when I get the chip and goodies from Rick............I can hardly wait. BTW where were you and the rest of the guys??????????
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts