Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad sounds from under the hood this morning. Popped it open, sounded very metal-to-metal. My immediate thought was that the eaton had taken a dump, that's where it sounded like it was coming from. I used a screwdriver and my ear, and I heard the noise no matter where I put it; I could not localize it. I took off the upper BF idler, put the steel one on, and it still made the noise. I decided to swap back to the bigger pulley (3.10) and stock idlers, and to my surprise the noise went away. I wouldn't have believed that bad pulley bearing would make all of that noise. I guess it's also possible that the noise will come back, but for now I'm inclined to think a pulley bearing gone bad. Here is a 3.8 mb video w/sound: Link.

Let me know what you think.

Bill

G

·
Bill,

Were you able to confirm which pulley was making the noise?

if yes

Have you pulled the bearing seal and repacked it with grease yet?

Do you have a lower crank pulley? if yes what size?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
2kbill said:
Bad sounds from under the hood this morning. Popped it open, sounded very metal-to-metal. My immediate thought was that the eaton had taken a dump, that's where it sounded like it was coming from. I used a screwdriver and my ear, and I heard the noise no matter where I put it; I could not localize it. I took off the upper BF idler, put the steel one on, and it still made the noise. I decided to swap back to the bigger pulley (3.10) and stock idlers, and to my surprise the noise went away. I wouldn't have believed that bad pulley bearing would make all of that noise. I guess it's also possible that the noise will come back, but for now I'm inclined to think a pulley bearing gone bad. Here is a 3.8 mb video w/sound: Link.

Let me know what you think.

Bill
Bill, 293 pulley 74in Gatorback and stock setup...

·
Registered
309 Posts
That noise is pretty loud. The blower itself does make more noise at idle with the smaller pulleys, ie 2.90, 2.80, but not quite that loud. Go back to the smaller pulley without installing the idler and check again when cold. If you don't hear it, then do like Doug mentioned and check the bearing in the idler.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BilletFlow said:
Bill,

Were you able to confirm which pulley was making the noise?

if yes

Have you pulled the bearing seal and repacked it with grease yet?

Do you have a lower crank pulley? if yes what size?
Doug,

Don't know which one it is, yet. I do not have a lower pulley.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lguerra1 said:
That noise is pretty loud. The blower itself does make more noise at idle with the smaller pulleys, ie 2.90, 2.80, but not quite that loud. Go back to the smaller pulley without installing the idler and check again when cold. If you don't hear it, then do like Doug mentioned and check the bearing in the idler.
Luis, I agree! I've had the 2.8 on since March, and it does result in some additional blower noise. When it cools down some, I'll put the 2.8 back on and verify that everything is still quiet.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

When I went to change the blower pulley back to the 2.8, I noticed that the 3.1 that I had put on this a.m. was already loose, I didn't loktite the screws since it was a temporary thing. I started it back up and noticed some wobble on the pulley, and the same noise as before. Tightened it down and back to normal. Swapped back to the 2.8 (Loktite on screws this time) and shorter belt. No noise. Maybe I'll put the pulleys back on, one at a time, when it cools down outside. It's above 90 and I've done enough sweating for right now. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Bill
:lol :hammer DA Mechanic, :turd for brains

·
Registered
309 Posts
Glad to see that it was something simple. Most of the time it usually is. I would have been worried as well. It was definitely a nasty sound.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Great that it all worked out..The Idlers don't need any more bad ink...That's why i stay with pulley and belt that needs no Idler..

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeez Jim I sure didn't mean to add any fuel to the fire regarding the idlers - it appears that they are not involved at all. I was just looking for some expert help, because I'm a dumbass:hammer mo-chanic who isn't about to quit his day job!

Bill

PS maybe those 3 back to back dynoruns on Saturday loosened up the screws on the snout pulley...linky

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Bill , nice dyno pull..You are a Boost Jumky now...;)
You came a long way baby!!!!

Congrats..I see you like bonding with your Cobra:D

We got a lot in common....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts