Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys are debating useing Long Tubes.
Some think the more modded the more power they will give.
Others think at higher power levels they can't add much.
I also like the benifit of getting more ponies while lowering boost levels.

Well i decided to do it.

My friend Joe(MAGIC) is putting on the 1 3/4 KOOKS this week.
I am trying the 1 5/8 KOOKS next week.
He has 470 rwhp STD and i have 462 Rwhp STD.
KOOKS claims 30+ rwhp...
I'll take 15..
bottom line we will have the results soon.

Jim V.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think another big factor on deciding whether or not to use longtubes, is emmissions testing. Unless things have changed, using longtubes is not emmissions legal because of having to relocate the 02 sensor further down the exhaust. This causes the 02 to struggle in staying in closed loop at idle. I don't think that there are any longtubes out that are technically emmissions legal. I could be wrong.

I installed longtubes on my last car, and do love the performance gain of them over short tubes. However, now having to pass emmissions every year, I am still debating on whether or not to get a set for the 03. Does anyone if there are any that are 50 state emmissions legal?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Jim V. looking forward to those results. Also looking into QMP's. I've heard good things about those. By the way, thanks for being you!

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Hey Jim, congrats on the purchase. I will be picking up the Kooks 1-5/8" and an h-pipe with cats today. I'm at 453 rwhp. I'll post my results as well, but it will be awhile.

Where can I find some pics of the headers?

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Alright Jimmy!!!!!!

One thing that I was thinking about................ I had to purchase the universal Dr Gas X-pipe kit because of the lack of pre-made piece. It required alot of cutting and welding to get it right, but it is a beautiful setup. I might be able to reproduce these so that they are a bolt in deal........... When you get your 1 5/8's in can you take a couple measurements?? I'll measure my 1 3/4's and maybe we can come up with something that would make things easier for anyone in the future. Did you get the 3" collectors??

gary

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary, The 1 5/8's have a 2 1/2 in collector. I am useing a 2 1/2 in h pipe with high flow cats.
LaRocca uses DR. GAS with header installs and it is a very nice setup.
I am haveing mine done by JDM.I believe KOOKS makes the h pipe also.

Jim

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Gary, The 1 5/8's have a 2 1/2 in collector. I am useing a 2 1/2 in h pipe with high flow cats.

Jim
Ok. cool. no one had anything pre-fabbed for the 3" collectors. So, I can help out with any measurements if anyone needs 'em.

gary

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:

Jim
Hey Jim,

Our car is up on stands now waiting for the headers to arrive. According to JDM they should arrive today. We're at 475rwhp/482rwtq with a 2.93" upper pulley and hope that the headers and addition of a 2lb lower pulley will allow us to hit the magic 500/500 numbers.

We'll keep y'all posted!

MJ

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
lguerra1 said:
I think another big factor on deciding whether or not to use longtubes, is emmissions testing. Unless things have changed, using longtubes is not emmissions legal because of having to relocate the 02 sensor further down the exhaust. This causes the 02 to struggle in staying in closed loop at idle. I don't think that there are any longtubes out that are technically emmissions legal. I could be wrong.

I installed longtubes on my last car, and do love the performance gain of them over short tubes. However, now having to pass emmissions every year, I am still debating on whether or not to get a set for the 03. Does anyone if there are any that are 50 state emmissions legal?
My personal opinion, not based on any facts, is that if you keep the cats, you will still pass all but the most strict sniff tests.

The problem is the visual inspection. as hard as long tubes are to see from the top, if they look from the bottom, they are hard to miss.

JT

·
Registered
521 Posts
lguerra1 said:

One of only a few reasons I like living in Hawaii. State inspections are a joke. Blow the horn, kick the tires and activate a blinker, done in about 5 minutes. I remember living in CT, that was emissions hell.

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
You guys should move to Georgia. Theres no state inspection here, everyone I know runs offroad H-pipes, long tubes, etc.
Florida is the same. Added bonus...............it doesn't SNOW here.

gary

G

·
I am alittle on the scared side of long tubes because of the oil pushing thread I read awhile back. I dont want my baby pushing oil past the valve seals. I hate those puffs of oil.

If that is not a problem...then I will do it.....here in New Jersey...if no one knew...After our New Car 2 year inspection sticker is over....I will be getting a "Collector" car registration...not Antique Plates...but "Collector Car" Registration. You keep your existing plates...have your car insured through a collector car insurance company...of which I have mine through www.parishhea****.com auto insurance in Florida even right now. I just fill out a card from NJDMV and send like 30 bucks and proof that you have Collector Car Insurance(mileage under 3500 miles a year)and they send me a form to take to the motor vehicle inspection area....at the reinspection area...you dont have to go through inspection....They will put a Collector Car sticker on your windshield...thats it.....I have a few friends with Vipers and Corvettes that have done it....I have done it with my G body Olds 442's and Hurst Oldses too.

So if I have nothing to worry about in the burning oil department with long tubes...then I am in too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
I am alittle on the scared side of long tubes because of the oil pushing thread I read awhile back. I dont want my baby pushing oil past the valve seals. I hate those puffs of oil.

If that is not a problem...then I will do it.....here in New Jersey...if no one knew...After our New Car 2 year inspection sticker is over....I will be getting a "Collector" car registration...not Antique Plates...but "Collector Car" Registration. You keep your existing plates...have your car insured through a collector car insurance company...of which I have mine through www.parishhea****.com auto insurance in Florida even right now. I just fill out a card from NJDMV and send like 30 bucks and proof that you have Collector Car Insurance(mileage under 3500 miles a year)and they send me a form to take to the motor vehicle inspection area....at the reinspection area...you dont have to go through inspection....They will put a Collector Car sticker on your windshield...thats it.....I have a few friends with Vipers and Corvettes that have done it....I have done it with my G body Olds 442's and Hurst Oldses too.

So if I have nothing to worry about in the burning oil department with long tubes...then I am in too.
The only cases that I've heard about have been with MAC brand longtube headers. There are many theories as to why but I personally have a friend who lost his engine shortly after installing the MAC headers. When they tore it down, they found massive cylinder scoring in multiple cylinders. Some speculate that the ceramic coating is breaking down, being injested, and destroying the ring/cylinder interface. Others claim that welding slag is being injested via the EGR. The one common thread is the brand of headers: MAC

Hope this helps,

MJ

P.S. My JDM/Kooks longtubes just came today!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hi,

Well the JDM/Kooks longtubes came today! :D Since I already had the car disassembled waiting for their arrival, I was able to install all of the downtubes in about 2hrs. Let me tell you:

1. the quality of these headers is AWESOME
2. after installing these, I will never buy another set of fully welded headers. The individual downtubes with slip-on collectors make the job MUCH easier. I did NOT drop the k-member.
3. I bought Stage8 locking bolts but after the nightmare of an install last time, I decided to use the stock studs/locking nuts. Once again, use the stock gaskets and stock studs/locking nuts.

If any of you folks are thinking about using Kook's longtubes, go for it!

MJ

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well what would it take to put the products "long tubes" up for emissions legality?? I for one would contribute to a fund to make this happen. QMP or Kooks??

Tim

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MJ.. I am pleased you are happy with the Kook's Long tubes.
I am axiously awaiting my install and dyno results.

jim v.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hot Rod Harry, could you send me a PM with the full web address of that company who does your car insurance. Thats exactly what I've been looking for. Or e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the longtubes typically mate up to the stock h pipe (or aftermarket such as magnaflow) or do I have to replace my x-pipe as well?

G

·
blucobra03...I sent you the info....when I type it in there it blanks out part of it because its a bad word in this programs bad word search..I will put something to fill in the letter o in the word so it shows up more.

www.parishheac*ck.com

www.parish heac ock.com

just put it together to get the address....

they are an awesome company...tell them harry mager(major) sentya from New Jersey.....they are picky with who they insure...so please dont be upset if they dont allow it with everyone...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts