Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about a lightning bottom end, how much horse power will it hold? how about the stock crank? will a cobra crank fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
A cobra crank will not fit and the are both steel cranks.

Cobra is a 4.6 and the Lightning is a 5.4 L

Suavy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
i was wondering the same...does the Lightning have forged rods and pistons or just forged pistons? and what is the approx limit in rwhp that the stock bottom end will handle? ive heard that its not much more than 400-420, but that dont seem right to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Black01GT said:
i was wondering the same...does the Lightning have forged rods and pistons or just forged pistons? and what is the approx limit in rwhp that the stock bottom end will handle? ive heard that its not much more than 400-420, but that dont seem right to me
No forged rods. My truck made around 420 rwhp and I never damaged anything. However others have broke with less power. The 99-00 motors seem to handle power better than the 01-03's. Typically around 450rwhp or so things start letting go.

--Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
2000BlackGT said:
my friend put down SAE 509RWHP at only 5000 rpm because he ran out of injectors on his stock block
Sweet.............I never said at 450 every stock Lightning motor will blow. I was just saying that typically 450 is when rods start letting go.

--Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
My truck just layed down 496RWHP and 586RWTQ. Stock motor w/ a KB. I don't expect it to last 4ever. With those numbers if you get the least bit of detonation it is all over. BOOM! -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
With the eaton, I made 420rwhp/530rwftlbs without the longtubes and the 2.80 upper, and with a smaller crank pulley. Hopefully will find out what it'll make and not the limit of what it will take with a larger blower :)

I'm very anxious to see what your 03 puts down because my truck has run quicker 1/8th times than yours, but not the 1/4 ET and not near your MPH. What pulleys are you running?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Frank02L said:
With the eaton, I made 420rwhp/530rwftlbs without the longtubes and the 2.80 upper, and with a smaller crank pulley. Hopefully will find out what it'll make and not the limit of what it will take with a larger blower :)

I'm very anxious to see what your 03 puts down because my truck has run quicker 1/8th times than yours, but not the 1/4 ET and not near your MPH. What pulleys are you running?
My times were in 90+ degree heat with the humidity about 70-80%
I fully expect to see my truck run 3-4 tenths faster ET when the cool fall weather gets here.
I am running 16 lbs of boost at the track, and 14 on the street.
I will be dynoing with 18-16-14 lbs. to see what kind of numbers I will be putting down as well as the all important A/F's.

What puzzles me is my 60' times, I dont know why they are so slow, I thought I would be pulling at least 1.7's

I run on Hoosier Slicks @ 16lbs pressure and I know I am hooking up because the tires have spun on the rims about 3/4"!!

Anybody have any ideas? I am blaming it all on the weather till I can prove different. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
KB ZILLA said:
My times were in 90+ degree heat with the humidity about 70-80%
I fully expect to see my truck run 3-4 tenths faster ET when the cool fall weather gets here.
I am running 16 lbs of boost at the track, and 14 on the street.
I will be dynoing with 18-16-14 lbs. to see what kind of numbers I will be putting down as well as the all important A/F's.

What puzzles me is my 60' times, I dont know why they are so slow, I thought I would be pulling at least 1.7's

I run on Hoosier Slicks @ 16lbs pressure and I know I am hooking up because the tires have spun on the rims about 3/4"!!

Anybody have any ideas? I am blaming it all on the weather till I can prove different. :p
I remember you posting about the weather conditions on NLOC. You'll probably be 3-4 tenths quicker in better air for sure.

As for the 60' times, spinning on the rims usually occurs on your first or second launch. Running too low of a pressure might cause the truck to bog a little and even though you're hooking, it might not be coming out as strong as it could be. Even 1/2-1psi change can make a difference. Are you preloading the converter or just stomping it from idle? I always found mine to 60' better on ET Streets just putting a small load on the converter maybe 800-1000rpm then stomping it.

What lower pulleys and what size uppers are you running to get that kind of boost out of it with the stock motor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
I will not be suprised at all if my motor lets go. I am not really that worried about it though. If it breaks then it gets fixed, bigger and better. :) -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Frank02L said:
Are you preloading the converter or just stomping it from idle? I always found mine to 60' better on ET Streets just putting a small load on the converter maybe 800-1000rpm then stomping it.

What lower pulleys and what size uppers are you running to get that kind of boost out of it with the stock motor?
I stomp it from idle, mabye I need to try it different. When it was stock and when it only had a 4lb. it would run quicker leaving the line that way.
Since I have KB and a few other changes, maybe I should try to stall it up a bit on the line.
What do ya'll think?

I run a 6lb. lower (9") and I have 3.00, 3.25, 3.50 upper pulleys for the KB.

I forgot to mention, I have Hotchkis springs all the way around, with stock shocks (hopefully going to use the Strange shocks we were talking about in the other thread)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
KB ZILLA said:
I stomp it from idle, mabye I need to try it different. When it was stock and when it only had a 4lb. it would run quicker leaving the line that way.
Since I have KB and a few other changes, maybe I should try to stall it up a bit on the line.
What do ya'll think?

I run a 6lb. lower (9") and I have 3.00, 3.25, 3.50 upper pulleys for the KB.

I forgot to mention, I have Hotchkis springs all the way around, with stock shocks (hopefully going to use the Strange shocks we were talking about in the other thread)
Yeah, I would try leaving with some more RPMs rather then just leaving off idle. Some guys get some impressive 60FT times out of the stock converter. Quite a few 1.6X's. A high stall converter wll probably help you out a lot. But I would first try leaving with some RPM and see what the out come is. -Mat-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
KB ZILLA said:
I stomp it from idle, mabye I need to try it different. When it was stock and when it only had a 4lb. it would run quicker leaving the line that way.
Since I have KB and a few other changes, maybe I should try to stall it up a bit on the line.
What do ya'll think?

I run a 6lb. lower (9") and I have 3.00, 3.25, 3.50 upper pulleys for the KB.
I would definitely put a little pressure on the converter, not alot, but maybe hold it to around 1k rpm and try that. Experiment :)

Cool, I've got a 9" lower right now, and was only wanting to run about 14-16lbs with the KB till the motor was built, so I need a 3.50 and 3.25 upper pulley. Did you have to go with a longer belt, or just use the 6# belt and break the tab off the tensioner?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top