Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 GT has just 17k on the OEM battery, but i think it's on its way out. (sitting with 12.1v). is it worth taking some weight off the front and buy one of those dyna or odessey batteries? Which is better/recommended? I dont want to relocate my battery because it's packed when i go to the track with my slicks and tools ect. i just installed a SQ trim with cobra fuel pumps with the wire upgrade, still have the OEM water pump. also have a Raptor shift light, boost and wideband gauges, those are all the electrical add-ons. the car see's 3k miles a year, driven maybe once a week. Or forget it and just go to Sears and get a regular OEM replacement?

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Also think about a braille lightweight battery, have heard good reviews on them.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never heard of them, you have a link?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The static voltage is normal,so your battey's ok. I have the Odyssey PC680 and it works great. The standby time isn't huge but it takes a charge right away and cranks the engine over just fine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1^^^. I have the PC680 also, just don't listen to the radio more than 20min without the car running. It only weighs 13lbs less than half the stocker.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
just throwing this out there but most lawn mower batteries have the same specs as the odyssey and dynabat,275cca and 335ca.male post can be easily adapted to them as well.would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper.the brands listed above are direct replacements for some motorcycles!

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just throwing this out there but most lawn mower batteries have the same specs as the odyssey and dynabat,275cca and 335ca.male post can be easily adapted to them as well.would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper.the brands listed above are direct replacements for some motorcycles!
How long do those last and what is needed to be done to make them work in a car? What are you guys using for hold-downs to secure the battery?

·
Registered
683 Posts
bungies lol...

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i may have to pick one of those up. how long will they last? will the car crank after sitting all winter with one of these?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No you'll have to charge it first. However,i have never had any battery start after sitting in the car,even disconnected,in the cold,all winter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had mine for two years and not had a problem with it. The battery comes out in the winter and stored on a shelf. I charge it once before installing and it holds up all season. I drive mine about as much as you and sometimes does not get started for a over a week and a half but still cranks good.
As some have stated it is not an everyday run your radio, leave your door open type battery. If you have to have power with out your car running for more than 20 minutes this battery is not for you. Get the one with the metal jacket as it will cut down on heat soak. I am using the original tray and as you can see I rigged my set up and it holds fine.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looks good. What do you use and where you get the parts for the hold down?

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks good. What do you use and where you get the parts for the hold down?
I used a $7.00 Battery hold down kit from the automotive store. Most auto stores have some variation of these. I cut down the metal rods and than bent them like they were when purchased. Poked two holes for them in the stock plastic battery tray and it was complete. Best thing about the battery is it is a dry cell and can be mounted upside down if you had to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I removed the factory tray and built a metal hold down bracket out of sheetmetal. I use 3, 1/4" bolts as studs to bolt it to. It attaches above,and on both sides of the battery. No pics to show as of now.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
awesome thanx guys. what voltage should i be reading when the car is running? i know above 13v, but i want to make sure this OEM battery is on its way out

·
Registered
279 Posts
How long do those last and what is needed to be done to make them work in a car? What are you guys using for hold-downs to secure the battery?
should last just as long as the odyssey,although the odyssey can be mounted in any position.do some research on how they rate the cranking amps on all these batteries and you'll see what i'm talking about.i'm gonna try a lm battery after i get back from bradenton!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts