Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is a guy "Greg" at some shop making serious power on 57's over on the other forum (SVTP) I thik he was at 888hp and over 900 TQ. So you got a good bit waiting to be let out.

Just found this right out of the thread.
****Car made 888/945 today on 25lbs and race gas****

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
built bottom end with stock 03-04 cobra heads, cams. Mach 1 intake. CR i believe is around 8.5 to 1.
Motor was built and assembled prior to us tuning it. We were just hired to go over car and work out the calibration.
This was also pump gas/100% meth runs. Thru a Level 10 4R70W. Current boost level is at 21.5ish

Im sure the combination isnt optimal, and by no means a brag about the numbers. The power its making is most we could get out of it safely at this level.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we made 922rwhp with a STOCK MOTOR and twin 57 kit at KOTS in 2009... we sprayed 50hp and made 983rwhp... at our shop, we made 961rwhp with the same car on just turbo alone.. 28-29psi
I dont really think we are comparing apples to apples, and actually wasnt even the intent of the post. It was about the video, and the fact that the combo is making decent power. Id be intrested to see where it would end up at 28-30psi but Im not sure if the engine would stay together etc. We had nothing to do with that end of the build. I had to refab the cold side because of poor meter placement and unreliable signal up in the rpm band. Also I was starting to have problems controlling boost after 22psi because the gates were welded at 90* on the kit he bought. Customer has since now ditched the 57's (i think hes crazy, cars a handful already) and had the pipe work on the headers updated to have the gates installed appropriately. It will be back soon to see where we are at.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same kit and never had those issues.
I'm guessing this is the owners thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/turbo-cobras-247/727413-boost-creep.html
Well think about it, if the gates are welded at 90* angles to the direction of exhaust flow do you think they are working as effectively as they should? Every pull after 20psi started seeing a "boost creep" by the end of the run. It was funny at one point on one combo (different car) I was fabbing up and Harry & Patrick from Precision wanted to see the setup before they speced out a replacement gate were amazed at how many gates are welded incorrectly. You need to make it as easy as possible on the controller. We didnt have a problem on just spring alone etc. Once we started getting some real heat and velocity in the exhaust and making upwards of 725-750+ rw it reared its head. Ill guarantee with the gates being repositioned and in a direct path of exhaust exit, things will be sound.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
743 Posts
I dont really think we are comparing apples to apples, and actually wasnt even the intent of the post. It was about the video, and the fact that the combo is making decent power. Id be intrested to see where it would end up at 28-30psi but Im not sure if the engine would stay together etc. We had nothing to do with that end of the build. I had to refab the cold side because of poor meter placement and unreliable signal up in the rpm band. Also I was starting to have problems controlling boost after 22psi because the gates were welded at 90* on the kit he bought. Customer has since now ditched the 57's (i think hes crazy, cars a handful already) and had the pipe work on the headers updated to have the gates installed appropriately. It will be back soon to see where we are at.
i was just letting you know that the 57s can make good power... i had another car that went 8.80s with a twin 57kit... they are good turbos... good luck!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was just letting you know that the 57s can make good power... i had another car that went 8.80s with a twin 57kit... they are good turbos... good luck!
thanks bob....unfortunate that i wont have ability to test.....lol. 66s already in their place. Fun to see where its now.

Hows settling in coming with the new shop? We gotta catch up one race weekend when and if we are both at. Going to Atco?

·
Registered
302 Posts
And I replied over on SVTp as well seeing that they wanna hang the poor kid, even if he may have explained a few things incorrectly. I know what I saw, and very familiar with the TS EB2. Actually one of my favorite controllers to work with as of late.
SVTp people are a little goofy. If you build a bad car they want to hang you and if you build a good one they call you out about it. I would just tell the kid not to get to excited about the comments those guys make. Heck 9 time out of 10 the people posting the comments have never seen a turbo car in person.

·
2V powered
3,869 Posts
SVTp people are a little goofy. If you build a bad car they want to hang you and if you build a good one they call you out about it. I would just tell the kid not to get to excited about the comments those guys make. Heck 9 time out of 10 the people posting the comments have never seen a turbo car in person.
Did they log boost on your dyno run?

Most of the guys in that thread have had the turbo setup on their cars for years.
Plenty of people on this site as well as others have the same setup and have never had those issues.
You're setup is new and seems to make over 100rwhp more than other setups.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Did they log boost on your dyno run?

Most of the guys in that thread have had the turbo setup on their cars for years.
Plenty of people on this site as well as others have the same setup and have never had those issues.
You're setup is new and seems to make over 100rwhp more than other setups.
I am NOT getting into this here! If you want to kick crap up do it in my post and dont clutter up this post.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow that was a teaser! Sounds great though
There is a guy "Greg" at some shop making serious power on 57's over on the other forum (SVTP) I thik he was at 888hp and over 900 TQ. So you got a good bit waiting to be let out.

Just found this right out of the thread.
****Car made 888/945 today on 25lbs and race gas****
Racers Edge Tuning

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
And I replied over on SVTp as well seeing that they wanna hang the poor kid, even if he may have explained a few things incorrectly. I know what I saw, and very familiar with the TS EB2. Actually one of my favorite controllers to work with as of late.
I don't think anyone in that thread is trying to hang anybody. I just don't understand how you are sure it's the gates causing the problem, if it holds boost fine at spring psi, when that is when the most heat is traveling through the gates, but yet when you turn the boost up on the controller, and the gates are bypassing less heat, you are having creep issues. Seems like backwards thinking to me.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't think anyone in that thread is trying to hang anybody. I just don't understand how you are sure it's the gates causing the problem, if it holds boost fine at spring psi, when that is when the most heat is traveling through the gates, but yet when you turn the boost up on the controller, and the gates are bypassing less heat, you are having creep issues. Seems like backwards thinking to me.
Think of it this way.

Now using your understanding above that "holds boost fine at spring psi, when that is when the most heat is traveling through the gates"....

I'd have to refute that respectfully. More air in is more air out. If i am running on spring alone, and at 13.5 psi these gates are wide open or where ever in there diaphram range, displacing whatever volume and heat, the engine is producing exhaust of a power level equal to 13.5psi and say 6xx hp.

Now you keep the wastegates closed to make more boost and subsequently more power...which in turn is more exhaust volume and heat at that same given RPM. So now at 20psi the gates are wide open but now the engine is producing 7xx hp and along with it the exhaust volume and heat to go along with it. Yes the gates are wide open or where ever in there range at the same given instance trying to maintain turbine speed, but now you have alot more volume and heat at the higher power level....kinda follow me? Again this is where i was thinking, and going by what i was talking to Harry and Patrick @ Precision first thing they pointed to was gate orientation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.