Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know who you are

Since when does going to a rear end setup for your specific hobby constitute your car no longer being a Cobra?

Someone please explain :king

I don't wanna hear well I run this with the IRS and Pete did that with the IRS, I don't give a crap. If you don't want to swap that's fine, just quit cryin because others have and more will.

sorry I haven't had a post in awhile :blob

·
Registered
285 Posts
im just to lazy to put a solid under my car

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I have no problem with others going solid it just doesn't appeal to me. I had solid in my 95 Cobra and it didn't handle anything like this car. Solid is great if you are just shooting at the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
stlblack03 said:
You know who you are

Since when does going to a rear end setup for your specific hobby constitute your car no longer being a Cobra?

Someone please explain :king

I don't wanna hear well I run this with the IRS and Pete did that with the IRS, I don't give a crap. If you don't want to swap that's fine, just quit cryin because others have and more will.

sorry I haven't had a post in awhile :blob
I'm not a live axle hater. I just am more impressed when someone runs good on an IRS.

To me it is all about maximizing potential. If a car has 30 lbs of boost, a 150 shot, a live axle and slicks, it better run a great number to impress me.

I'm more impressed with an '03 that runs low 11's with and Eaton and no juice.

JT

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
The IRS keeps impressing me, its the lack of skill that kills the IRS. Yes I smoked a halfashaft, and it was driver error. The more and more I see the 60ft's these IRS cars are laying down the more it impresses me. Wont be long before someone's in the low 1.4's with IRS.

I will have a set of beefed halfshafts and 26x10.5x16 ET Drags next year, well see what happens.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
All rears Break...You go fast you break chit ,
It makes more sense to drag race with a solid axle.

Since when do we make sense?
;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
All rears Break...You go fast you break chit ,
It makes more sense to drag race with a solid axle.

Since when do we make sense?
;)
Great Quote.

It does make more sense to go solid... If it is a drag car, and going 9's. Especially from the safety factor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL @ this thread

This has been posted before....

I think solid axles are for people who wanted a GT with some ground effects and some more horsepower. It also takes the Cobra out of the Cobra. Oh and I forgot it takes more skill to launch a IRS car compared to a solid axle car. I'm not as worried about the halfshaft as I said I can't get off work. Believe me I would be there no matter what if I had my way. And Stlblack03 how fast is that GT (I mean cobra) of yours?
For those that run 9's, sure it is an appropriate thing to do like Jim stated. Seems like others need it to compensate for driving ability. :shrug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: Re: Live Axle Haters

JT said:
I'm not a live axle hater. I just am more impressed when someone runs good on an IRS.

To me it is all about maximizing potential. If a car has 30 lbs of boost, a 150 shot, a live axle and slicks, it better run a great number to impress me.

I'm more impressed with an '03 that runs low 11's with and Eaton and no juice.

JT
This about sums it up as well

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
StangD281 said:
LOL @ this thread

This has been posted before....

For those that run 9's, sure it is an appropriate thing to do like Jim stated. Seems like others need it to compensate for driving ability. :shrug
I'm new at this moderator thing, so if this out of line, let me know.

But, please, play nice.

The live axle has some piece of mind benefits even if you are not in the 9's. A lot of 11 and 12 second '03's have broken halfshafts.

Without, at a minimum ET streets, actually it probably takes full slicks to fully realize the better 60 foot benefit of the straight axle over the IRS.

For an 11-12 second car on DR's, I don't think the straight axle gets you much better, if any better 60 ft.

·
Registered
105 Posts
JT said:
I'm new at this moderator thing, so if this out of line, let me know.

But, please, play nice.

The live axle has some piece of mind benefits even if you are not in the 9's. A lot of 11 and 12 second '03's have broken halfshafts.

Without, at a minimum ET streets, actually it probably takes full slicks to fully realize the better 60 foot benefit of the straight axle over the IRS.

For an 11-12 second car on DR's, I don't think the straight axle gets you much better, if any better 60 ft.
JT -

I agree with your thoughts. I don't see the reason to swap an axle when a stronger set of halfshafts can do the trick. I have not broken one yet, fortunately, and I have some hard runs on my car with DR's. I agree with Tommy that removing the IRS takes the Cobra out of the Cobra to a degree. It was put in there for a reason.

It is apparent that there are 2 or 3 Cobras that went 9's IIRC. One has a live, one has IRS, and I am not sure of the others. I haven't heard much about anyone else with a solid axle ripping off low 11's.

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in my solid axle mostly for piece of mind, and also to eventually run "real" tires. I've seen several half shafts break on Nitto's here at Gateway and a tow home doesn't interest me. I've had my solid axle for about 3 months now and have not a single complaint, except when I hit a bump :D

I also had several hard runs on DR's with my IRS and never popped a halfshaft but everytime I launched I was thinking about it. It just wan't worth it to me, and I don't think halfshafts are gonna be the answer but I hope they are.

Good Luck boys and keep hoppin along :evil

StangD281 - What exactly does your car have to run 125 mph? It sure seems like it should be trapping better than that with that MPH, perhaps a soid axle and some driving will help :king

·
Registered
105 Posts
stlblack03 said:
StangD281 - What exactly does your car have to run 125 mph? It sure seems like it should be trapping better than that with that MPH, perhaps a soid axle and some driving will help :king
A little more boost, an airfilter, exhaust, a chip, and a pair of 315/35 tires. Real extensive list, isn't it?

As for my driving, I believe the high mph came from the amount of spinning in the 60ft, which was a 1.67. The powershifting might have an effect, too. What do you think? Not bad for 470 rwhp.

As for my driving ability, I don't see too many cars coming across the line at the same time as me, particularly with the small amount of coin I've laid out. When you learn to launch & shift, maybe you'll get out of the 12's soon. Good luck.

- Driver for hire

·
Registered
105 Posts
Driving skills:

Finicky - 11.45 @ 124
F8LBITE - 11.1 @ 126 (IIRC, as he has hit a 10 in the mix)
JT - 11.4 @ 123
Me - 11.2 @ 125

What am I doing wrong STL? :king

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was more a shot at the IRS than driver skill, at 125 mph and 200 less pounds and ET Streets think what it will do. See where I'm going with it? What track you runnin at? I'm sure if I correct my times to a track like yours I'm in the 11's.

If you drive like JT (the only one I've seen in person) then more power to ya.

I didn't see to many blistering Eaton times at WFC6 did you?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Guys, this thread has been teetering on the edge of developing into a flame war.

Please try to stay away from the insults.
I have met stlblack03, in person, I can vouch that he is a great guy.
StangD281, I enjoy your posts and youv'e accomplished alot with a few mods. I am glad you poste here.

Being that both you guys like to go to the track, I believe it is only a matter of time until you meet face to face. Not that a war will break out, but I can tell you from first hand experience, it is a weird dynamic when you meet someone for the first time, who you had an online dissagreement with. It really highlights how silly the internet can be, when you meet someone you were flaming back and forth with, who you then realize is a great guy with the same inerests as you.

Try to keep that in mind when you post.

·
Registered
105 Posts
stlblack03 said:
It was more a shot at the IRS than driver skill, at 125 mph and 200 less pounds and ET Streets think what it will do. See where I'm going with it? What track you runnin at? I'm sure if I correct my times to a track like yours I'm in the 11's.
Pittsburgh Raceway Park. No major altitude to deal with, and I run at nights when it is cooler. My times are not corrected; if they were, I'd see a 10. But that isn't how I will say I run 10's.

If you drive like JT (the only one I've seen in person) then more power to ya.
I have never seen JT drive, so I cannot comment there. I launch @ 3500 slipping the clutch, and shift every gear without lifting my right foot.

I didn't see to many blistering Eaton times at WFC6 did you?
I wasn't there so I can't comment there either. Shitty track prep, ridiculous heat? Did you run in it? If so, how did you do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
JT said:
Guys, this thread has been teetering on the edge of developing into a flame war.

Please try to stay away from the insults.
I have met stlblack03, in person, I can vouch that he is a great guy.
StangD281, I enjoy your posts and youv'e accomplished alot with a few mods. I am glad you poste here.

Being that both you guys like to go to the track, I believe it is only a matter of time until you meet face to face. Not that a war will break out, but I can tell you from first hand experience, it is a weird dynamic when you meet someone for the first time, who you had an online dissagreement with. It really highlights how silly the internet can be, when you meet someone you were flaming back and forth with, who you thne realize is a great guy with the same inerests as you.

Try to keep that in mind when you post.
JT & STL,

I apologize for anything that is insulting.....simply the competitive nature in me. We ALL have that drive in this hobby of ours.

This thread developed stemming from a comment made a month ago, and from one made the other night in regards to the "World's Fastest '03 Cobra." I simply threw one out there for the boys from Texas....sure they'll beat on me at the track, but I'd rather run low 11's in my car the way it is then do it with a new tranny & rear-end. If I wanted that, I would've kept my GT, added forged internals, and strapped on a big old blower.

And after all, this is the internet. I'm sure we'd all have a blast together, just like what always happens! It's never personal from me....just having fun!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
StangD281 said:
JT & STL,

I apologize for anything that is insulting.....simply the competitive nature in me. We ALL have that drive in this hobby of ours.

This thread developed stemming from a comment made a month ago, and from one made the other night in regards to the "World's Fastest '03 Cobra." I simply threw one out there for the boys from Texas....sure they'll beat on me at the track, but I'd rather run low 11's in my car the way it is then do it with a new tranny & rear-end. If I wanted that, I would've kept my GT, added forged internals, and strapped on a big old blower.

And after all, this is the internet. I'm sure we'd all have a blast together, just like what always happens! It's never personal from me....just having fun!
No problem. I want to see this board succeed and stay technical. Good drivers like you are definately the kind of members we want here.

We also want guys that aren't afraid to swap out their rear axle, too.

Sometimes the "smackdown", even though we know it is just the internet, scares away members.

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
StangD281 - No hard feelings at all, I like a slightly heated arguement about this car we all love. I'll be at Bowling Green (maybe running) and I'll buy you a beer for some driving lessons. :)

JT - good moderation....btw - that beer offer is most certainly extended to you :)

My car was running 12.0's @118at the local test and tunes here at the beginning of the yearwith IRS. Now I have the axle in and the weather is horrible, I've only made a few passes since and have been 12.1 or so fairly consistently, that 11 is just killin me, but until cooler weather it's gonna be real difficult. Also Gateway has this neat little thing they do now for Street tire cars they put cones out so you can't run in the groove and mess it up for the big boys. Makes things a little tough. I'll learn how to drive this thing sooner or later. I ran 12.30's @ 119 or so in Columbus on street tires so I know the car is fine. It's just me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts