Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you reuse the bilsteins. some say yes and some say no. strictly performance thank that you can but is checking on it for me. anyone know for sure and if they dont why?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Could you use them? I guess they would bolt up. I would suspect the damping rates would be way off since the amount of unsprung weight will be substantally different with the straight axle then the IRS.

JT

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
I would but Lakewood 50/50s both for $90 and forget about it.

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Basically they will bolt up but will ride like crap. Why do you want to keep the Bilsteins for anyway???

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Your welcome...I think :cool:

I just like looking at your signature...I really didn't know what I was talking about :king

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well that is more of an answer than i was getting. people were just saying it wont work or it should work. at least if its just that it will ride like shit then thats better than nothing. so for that i think you. and you are welcome for the sig pic lol :shocked :jawdrop

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
All I know is I have cheapo Lakewoods on mine and it rides fine

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
As mentioned above, the stock Bilstiens will fit, but are not what you want. I used them for a few days before getting adjustable shocks.
Strange has some reasonably priced 10 way adjustables.

Dana

·
Registered
67 Posts
To you guys with 8.8's now.....are you able to just drop the hammer on them at the track??? The t-56 used to be the weak link after the halfshafts....but I have not been hearing much about input/output shat breakage lately. Im thinking about the swap.........but with these new halfshafts coming out, you should be able to drop the hammer on those as well and not worry about breakage!!! It's a big decision and im confused on what to do!!!

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
I didn't hear of a trans input shaft breaking, but I did hear of a KB input shaft breaking.

Dana

·
Registered
281 Posts
BAD03SVT when my friend had his Cobra and installed the straight axle on his car he did use the factory bilstein shocks. But when he ran the car at the track with some ET tires the car would launch and start hopping real bad. He would have to let off and then get back on it. To solve his problem he went with a shock that was less stiff (don't remember what brand). Just my 2 cents on what problems my friend had.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
casper03 said:
BAD03SVT when my friend had his Cobra and installed the straight axle on his car he did use the factory bilstein shocks. But when he ran the car at the track with some ET tires the car would launch and start hopping real bad. He would have to let off and then get back on it. To solve his problem he went with a shock that was less stiff (don't remember what brand). Just my 2 cents on what problems my friend had.
thanks a ton man i appreciate that. otherwise i would of not replaced them and found that out at the track.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts