Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and with 4.10's i must say it's GREAT! I've hear lots of folks claim that first isnt even usable, well, that's not EVEN so! AT least in my case, I love it! SOme folks may call me too extreme, or down right dumb, but I thought I'd share! Only one hang up is i know I should've got a chip first to correct the speedo, but I just couldn't wait! Hopefully some track times tomorrow on a "stock" suspension! cya! Charles

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish you could ride in it....maybe a road trip is in order? I truely believe that reasons for not doing 4.10's (i have yet to install the 2.8, but the gears are staying)
1. I'm too scared
2. I don't wanna be quick, I'd rather go 160mph plus
3. I'm too scared
4. I'll spend lots of money on tires(get over it, it's a 35k car!)
5. I'm too scared
6. I've got a pulley, what would I do with more umph?
7. I'm too scared
8. I'm going to spend more $$ on gas (refer to reason #4)
9. I'm too scared
0. I just don't wanna do it, I've got a roots blower!

Don't kill me ya'll, you'd have to ride in it! It's that cool, who cares about cruising speed and gas mileage? I mean, you DID pay a Gas guzzler tax when you bought tha car, you should have at least ventured a guess it wouldn't get as great of mileage as a focus! :banggears

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The most important thing is to make a car that YOU like. Although I know of three '03's that had 4.10's, and two went back to 3.55's, 1 went with 3.90's.

They were all IRS cars with pulley and chip. Maybe the staight axle will allow you to come out hard enough to make the 4.10's work. Right now my car will break the tires lose from a roll on street tires:
always in first,
usually in second,
occasionally in third.

I know I don't want anymore gear reduction.

Anyway, Have fun!

JT

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like JT said, with the straight axle it probably does work. But i had 4.10's in my car w/ the IRS. It is great for the street and lots of fun to drive around with. The car pulled like an animal. But I went back to 3.55's because now w/ the KB I have on, it would have been way to much and I would never hook.

But with a straight axle, then yes 4.10's are probably the way to go. i can't imagine how my car would be right now if i still have the 4.10's in. My tires would spin, spin, spin.,.lol.
But I am glad to hear you like them :) Enjoy

Matt

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'l prolly be thinking otherwise when I get more power out of this sucker, but right now it's truely fun! Reading more and more about the KB makes me think I should get one! But, as the sig says, I'm trying to keep it simple......yea ok!

·
400 Posts
Like JT said it's what you like and how you like your car to feel. At the track you run out of gear in 4th you can always go with a 27" tire. :D Let me know how you do at the track.

Rick

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, friday night was rained out, no times yet......hm...maybe when I get a chip and pulley I'll have some times!

G

·
The live axle is the way to go for drag racing these cars, thats for sure. But the 4.10s will need a 28 inch tall slick(cheater) to work best with the 03 Cobra then. Alot of the torque and horsepower that the car produces, is in the mid range. Like with the 1970 GS Buicks or even 87 Grand Nationals (as examples) The cars do better in keeping them in the engines optimum torque and hp range for a longer amount of time than the 4.10s will allow. I would think 3.73's would be out best gear to use ..tops. The 3.55 does seem to be too tall for optimum 1/4 mile blasts. But I guess only time will tell. Even on some vortec blown cars in the past, I have seen them work better with 3.55 or 3.27 gears than 4.10's.

Thats just my oppion and I am sure it will be proven wrong :)

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well Harry, I've yet to even tap the fountain of HP from this thing, so my opinion may change, but for right now, it's fun! I'm wondering though if I made the right choice though now, since Pete has run a 9 on his IRS! Soon though, I'd like to leave the line HARD. I've grown used to dumping the clutch in my GT around 6k rpms! that was fun, but it may not be needed with the power this cobra has.......I'm just gonna see what breaks first, after I swap the T56 out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Charlez03-just curious, how has the overall street ride changed w/a live axel in the 03-I was considering a change myself, but not w/4:10's. Thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I travel alot and I like the way the Cobra rides now.....not sure if I would change to a 4:10. I still got the stock setup and tires........and my times are not to bad..............I even think I could do better if they would let me get more than 1 run a visit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ride compared to stock? Not even close! I do have C springs all around, I like the "slammed" look. Honestly, i wouldn't let someone drive my car if they were considering buying an 03, it's that much of a difference, to me anyway. But I dig it, I may go completely stock before too long(suspension wise) as my GT is getting closer to being finished. The cobra should just be a powerful car to cruise around, ya know? I did manage a 12.4 the other night, with my 2.8 the 4.10's, and some slicks, I didn't have a problem crossing the traps though....i was @113 while this isnt great, I'm also in the land of "sorry as hell to race cars" (west texas) I hope to take it down to San Antonio soon to maybe run some better numbers....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts