Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Trickflow or Livernois heads

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered many times, but which heads are better? Trickflow or Livernois heads? I was thinking about buying stage 3 heads from Livernois, but I have heard that they are ported heads for my new edge Mustang Gt and that Trickflow heads are way better? Is this true? When the time comes for me to build my engine, should I just buy a shortblock from Livernois and then buy a set of Trickflow heads??

· Registered
242 Posts
I've seen some back to back comparisons of stock PI head and TF head where the TF did lose a good bit of low end power, but was certainly made up at the top end. If it was my car I would go with the Trick Flow unless the Livernois heads were a lot cheaper.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
For the money spent on a Stage 3 ported Livernois head, you could get better flow all around with a TFS head for almost the same price. A typical real world flow # of a Stage 2-3 ported Windsor/Romeo head is about 219-223cfm using a 3.552" bore. A TFS head will hit 238-241CFM on a 3.552" bore. A TFS head on a 3.7" bore could hit close to 250cfm on the right setup.

Mr. BMR. That setup works, so there's no need to try a TFS head, but if that setup had some slightly cleaned up TFS heads, I would guarantee the car would pick up even more.

· Registered
492 Posts
For the money spent on a Stage 3 ported Livernois head, you could get better flow all around with a TFS head for almost the same price. A typical real world flow # of a Stage 2-3 ported Windsor/Romeo head is about 219-223cfm using a 3.552" bore. A TFS head will hit 238-241CFM on a 3.552" bore. A TFS head on a 3.7" bore could hit close to 250cfm on the right setup.

Mr. BMR. That setup works, so there's no need to try a TFS head, but if that setup had some slightly cleaned up TFS heads, I would guarantee the car would pick up even more.
Also with some turbo cams designed for the tfs head.

· Registered
669 Posts
I had my 44cc heads ported by Fox Lake with a stock 01 cobra aluminum block and VT stage II cams and put down 355 hp and 350 tq through an auto......I basically ran out of intake at that point........I will be working on an aluminum 5.0 block with a stroker kit for 326 ci..........my heads flow 260 cmf @ .550........the heads are amazing........I am hopeing for 420 hp with the new set-up.....I had a friend due a similar set up with a 5.0 iron block from Ford Racing and 324 ci with stage 4 cams and bullet intake put down 398hp........I am just looking to see what I can get out of the block.....355 hp on stock bore was pretty dang good......I could have went with a bigger intake but being an auto I want to build peak power at 6250 rpm....that will put my shift points around 6500 rpms.......looking to go mid 10s all motor....should be cake with the new set-up.......I ran [email protected] with just DRs..........1.56 60 ft.....3100 with driver.....

· Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for great information Yellow02GTauto! I read about your setup from other mustang forums and had no idea you were on here. I am trying to do a top end build on my 96 GT which has currently 97k on the clock. I feel like its fresh enough to handle TFS heads with VT/CMS stage 2 cam because I want to get into the 12's all day with this setup. Your power numbers give me hope that there is a lot left on the table with a combo like that. What is even more impressive is that you made those numbers through an auto! WOW! :rock: I could imagine what this setup would yeild with a better intake manifold. For example, maybe a Logan sheet metal intake for maximum air flow, but it cost like 1200-2000 dollars for it lol. What was the final compression on that combo you have now? Was it more about peak power or a nice broad power band. Just curious, because I really want to do the same thing!

· Registered
669 Posts
I believe the compression was 11.7 to 1 with the cobra -2.3 cc dish pistons......but I changed the cam profile to MHS stage 3 cams and it brought my shift points to 6500 and neted 116 mph throught the traps..I believe the CR with the cams bled down to 11.2 to 1..or close enough......pump gas was perfect with the combo and with the TFS heads it put down a total of 23 deg of timing.........it all depends on the intake you use......with the PI intake and 78mm BBK TB combo I believe is the best.....adding some cubes will be the best bet but I will never run a metal intake again as I have tried 2 different ones and had them dyno tuned and the PI set-up was the best with the auto as it always produced more TQ and kept the shift points safe for the auto.....you can't really rely on the auto past 6800 shifts........I am working on building a set-up that will produce over 400 hp all day N/A......its all about the cubes at this point....if you have a good Manual Trans and want to spin to 7500 I would suggest the TFS Intake as well.......

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the reply. What are the best Trickflow Heads that I can buy. I was thinking about the Trickflow Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads 38cc. Also, is it worth to have them ported if you are building a motor that can support 600 horsepower?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.