Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,need opinions for exhaust mods. With my set-up what would be best.Looking for headers h-pipe and cat back.Give your thoughts on makes,types and sizes, ease of fitment and quality.Last of all will i need a chip reburn for this change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Awe come on guys and Gals. Surely someone has made the switch from stock to aftermarket exhaust. I just want some opions thats all. Were i live there aint too many Cobras around to compare with. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mustang Exhaust has sound clips of every combination you could think of. You'll want long tubes, and an h-pipe designed for the longer than stock length headers. You won't need a chip reburn for exhaust, but if you got it dyno tuned, you might be able to squeeze out a few more hp.

·
Registered
885 Posts
KazMan97 said:
Hi all,need opinions for exhaust mods. With my set-up what would be best.Looking for headers h-pipe and cat back.Give your thoughts on makes,types and sizes, ease of fitment and quality.Last of all will i need a chip reburn for this change.
I had the JBA 1 5/8" ceramic shorties on my Cobra.
They provided good peak rwhp gains, and were a bolt-on affair with no other changes needed to the exhaust at the time.
I gained ~ 15 - 17 rwhp from the shorties on the dyno.
I already had a Magnaflow catted X-pipe, and I didn't want to replace it. Magnaflow makes good exhaust parts at reasonable prices (I have their cat-back as well). Unfortunately, they don't make an H-pipe for the Cobra's. In fact, no one makes a stainless-steel H-pipe that I'm aware of.
You would be stuck with a coated steel pipe, which may or may not matter to you.

Steering shaft clearance was tight. Other than that, no issues with the headers (well, they are a B!TCH to install... ;) )

Long tubes will give you more power across the board, but peak rwhp should be about the same as 1 5/8" shorties - it was in my case.
Bob Cosby recently switched from shorties to long-tubes & gained ZERO peak rwhp.
You will lose ground clearance with long-tubes, and transmission service (clutch replacement for example) or removal may require the passenger side header to be removed depending on what brand long-tubes you purchase.

One word of advice which is applicable to any 4V header install:

TAKE THE K-MEMBER OFF, you'll be glad you did... It's not a 1-hour job with the k off, but it's 1000% easier.

While you have the stock POS K-member off, might as well replace it with a good aftermarket one.
You'll be amazed at how much room a tubular k-member provides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Long Tubes or Shorties

Angus said:
I had the JBA 1 5/8" ceramic shorties on my Cobra.
They provided good peak rwhp gains, and were a bolt-on affair with no other changes needed to the exhaust at the time.
I gained ~ 15 - 17 rwhp from the shorties on the dyno.
I already had a Magnaflow catted X-pipe, and I didn't want to replace it. Magnaflow makes good exhaust parts at reasonable prices (I have their cat-back as well). Unfortunately, they don't make an H-pipe for the Cobra's. In fact, no one makes a stainless-steel H-pipe that I'm aware of.
You would be stuck with a coated steel pipe, which may or may not matter to you.

Steering shaft clearance was tight. Other than that, no issues with the headers (well, they are a B!TCH to install... ;) )

Long tubes will give you more power across the board, but peak rwhp should be about the same as 1 5/8" shorties - it was in my case.
Bob Cosby recently switched from shorties to long-tubes & gained ZERO peak rwhp.
You will lose ground clearance with long-tubes, and transmission service (clutch replacement for example) or removal may require the passenger side header to be removed depending on what brand long-tubes you purchase.

One word of advice which is applicable to any 4V header install:

TAKE THE K-MEMBER OFF, you'll be glad you did... It's not a 1-hour job with the k off, but it's 1000% easier.

While you have the stock POS K-member off, might as well replace it with a good aftermarket one.
You'll be amazed at how much room a tubular k-member provides.
Thanks for the reply. I see from another web site that Bassani sell a Mid length set of headers. I wonder if anyone has tried these as their stuff is very high quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts