Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proform has a spring compressor tester for $80 but it doesn't have the resolution I am wanting. Does anyone know of something that maybe only goes up to 40lbs and that is around $40-$70?

I need to test wastegate springs so I can do some comparison/development. I don't really need great accuracy just values that I can compare different combination springs too. Once I get the spring rates I need it won't be needed anymore so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

KS

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
They are all in about the same range with some significantly higher, Kevin. Search for "Mini Valve Spring Tester" on Amazon. They used to have one for about $60 but it had a 250 or 300 lb gauge on it. You would need to switch out the gauge for a 40 lb unit.

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all in about the same range with some significantly higher, Kevin. Search for "Mini Valve Spring Tester" on Amazon. They used to have one for about $60 but it had a 250 or 300 lb gauge on it. You would need to switch out the gauge for a 40 lb unit.
I saw that one but didn't know if simply changing gauges would work.

Thnx!
ks

Reactions: mercenvy_3114

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
The gauge change is pretty straightforward, and as long as you are going lower in gauge pressure, you are OK. When you go higher, the ice gets thinner quickly. The seals the manufacturer uses inside the pressure cell usually have a max pressure rating. If you are close to the original gauge maximum but a little higher, i.e. 50 psi vs. 30 psi, you are probably OK. If you are going from a 30 or 50 psi gauge to a 300 psi (or higher) gauge, the ice you are standing on just got really thin. The potential to blow out a seal is quite high.

Now, having said that, the job and cost of replacing the seal is pretty easy and inexpensive — but you will spend some time in a seals catalog finding the replacement seal. Again going down in pressure - no problem. Going up in pressure - potential problem. I would buy the high-pressure version and just put the low-pressure but higher accuracy gauge on it and be done with the event.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts