Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picture of my fuel system breakdown:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JLeJkBtSuiIth3hWwrDMXN-HkTAEdQ7/view?usp=sharingPictures of the fuel pump assembly:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dZCBQow3SwqT70-aYCSS_1npveg1izA9?usp=sharing

I have a 2005 ford crown victoria, vortech v3 supercharged, intercooled. Ive had multiple engines, fuel rails, Fuel Pressure Regulator Sensors, fuel pumps (two aeromotive 340's and a 320), wiring upgrades, injector swaps (ford racing #39), fuel filter swaps, upgraded FPDM. Ive installed new wire connectors for all injectors and fprs.

Im waiting for my nitrous outlet fuel rail adapter to install my fuel pressure gauge to verify the pressure the FPRS/PCM is receiving is what I see on the gauge.

The issue exists right after a new fuel pump install. Initially two years or so ago I was told the fuel pressure drop was normal in a FPDM controlled car after having a performance mustang racing shop install a new aeromotive and the same exact issue existed. They sold me on that was normal for the car to drop pressure as it was drinking more... Come to find out Im learning that is not the case.

My buddy has a kennebell on his 2005 ford crown victoria, He only has a walbro 255 and smaller injectors (I dont recall off hand) nothing else, no wiring upgrades, stock fpdm etc..). his pressure never drops under 39psi during accell or WOT.

Wondering anyones thoughts? Did I just get a run of crappy aeromotives? am I over looking something else?

I can attach data logs if needed (or graphs of them) but basically on 95% of harder accelerations or WOTs the pressure drops to 25-35PSI and never really recovers until i let off the gas. I can feel when the pressure is on the higher (or what normal PSI should be) because the power/engine is stronger/happier.

WTF am I missing :) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picture of my fuel system breakdown:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JLeJkBtSuiIth3hWwrDMXN-HkTAEdQ7/view?usp=sharingPictures of the fuel pump assembly:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dZCBQow3SwqT70-aYCSS_1npveg1izA9?usp=sharing

I have a 2005 ford crown victoria, vortech v3 supercharged, intercooled. Ive had multiple engines, fuel rails, Fuel Pressure Regulator Sensors, fuel pumps (two aeromotive 340's and a 320), wiring upgrades, injector swaps (ford racing #39), fuel filter swaps, upgraded FPDM. Ive installed new wire connectors for all injectors and fprs.

Im waiting for my nitrous outlet fuel rail adapter to install my fuel pressure gauge to verify the pressure the FPRS/PCM is receiving is what I see on the gauge.

The issue exists right after a new fuel pump install. Initially two years or so ago I was told the fuel pressure drop was normal in a FPDM controlled car after having a performance mustang racing shop install a new aeromotive and the same exact issue existed. They sold me on that was normal for the car to drop pressure as it was drinking more... Come to find out Im learning that is not the case.

My buddy has a kennebell on his 2005 ford crown victoria, He only has a walbro 255 and smaller injectors (I dont recall off hand) nothing else, no wiring upgrades, stock fpdm etc..). his pressure never drops under 39psi during accell or WOT.

Wondering anyones thoughts? Did I just get a run of crappy aeromotives? am I over looking something else?

I can attach data logs if needed (or graphs of them) but basically on 95% of harder accelerations or WOTs the pressure drops to 25-35PSI and never really recovers until i let off the gas. I can feel when the pressure is on the higher (or what normal PSI should be) because the power/engine is stronger/happier.

WTF am I missing :) Thanks in advance.
Well it sounds like a fuel pump demanding problem.
Meaning when you go WOT the fuel pump and or voltage is not enough to give you what you asking.
Most of the time people run a boost a pump to make sure they are getting 14v to the pump so this won't happen. I would look into your voltage to the pump at wot

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well it sounds like a fuel pump demanding problem.
Meaning when you go WOT the fuel pump and or voltage is not enough to give you what you asking.
Most of the time people run a boost a pump to make sure they are getting 14v to the pump so this won't happen. I would look into your voltage to the pump at wot

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. I believe there is a PID to log for ACT volts to the pump or similar? I will add that and do a datalog on lunch. I know my cars over all voltage stays over 14(13.9 sometimes) during all of this. This issue exists on stock wiring & fpdm and upgraded wiring& upgraded fpdm. Though Im open to anything heh.

Screenshot of datalog showing issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iMA1weCdEmZzOk-Rf6LsO_KGY2zxq8p3/view?usp=sharingBlue line is Fuel Pressure PSI
Yellow is FPDC
Gray is RPM

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would look at easy basic stuff first such as verifying that the fuel pump is correct for your application and verifying that all power and ground circuits are good and that the charging system is good before getting all fancy with data logs.

Why fool around with logs when you might be able to spot a wiring problem with a visual inspection that could solve your problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep thats what I have done across the years and alot lately. A datalog from 2 years ago the same day of a new fuel pump install looks identical to the recent datalog. Its been the same with stock wiring, upgraded wiring (both of which has been looked over alot).

I think my PPRV or PRV is leaking/bad and my fuel pump is working harder to just make 39psi happen with the leak/pressure loss. Though when there is WOT or hard acceleration it simply cannot keep up with the pressure lose from the PPRV.

KOEO Fuel Pressure drop test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lNCg2wn0ld6jhqlFw4g_SHxiXJd6cF2s/view?usp=sharing

I will keep digging and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had a similar issue many years ago. The problem turned out to be a small crack in the plastic corrugated fuel line. Although I couldn’t see it with my eyes under pressure boy did it leak

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar issue many years ago. The problem turned out to be a small crack in the plastic corrugated fuel line. Although I couldn't see it with my eyes under pressure boy did it leak
Interesting thanks. Im going to PPRV delete and put a whole new 30R10 Submersible Line from the hat direct to the pump.

I will inspect that line that you had an issue with and try to test the PPRV as well..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PPRV deleted (check valve and pressure regulator bypass?).

The check valve it self seems to work when i blow into it but im sure with more pressure it has a slight leak cause pressure was dropping at the rail KOEO but now it holds from the fuel pumps check valve.

When i blow through the hose coming from the fuel pump into the PPRV all the air instantly funnels out the PPRV bypass hose... so there is a definate leak there and is likely were all my fuel/pressure was going.

My fuel pump duty cycle at idle went down almost 3% (23%~ to 20.3%). I also installed my procomp fuel pressure sensor and gauge and can see the fuel pressure is right when getting into boost etc..

Car seems alot happier. 2nd gear just wants to rip through every time now :)

Picture of PPRV deleted: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pXKMKayeemxGRA6uyVy-Sv-tFRGKIjgm/view?usp=sharing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts