Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody gone from a strong 2v to a 4v notice any torque loss? Disappointing at all? Did the HP up top make up for the loss of low end power? Tell me what ya'll think........

SJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 4V likes more RPM and more rear gear. The 2V is like the 302....feels torquey down low but runs out of breath fast. The difference stock for stock is 2-3 lengths in favor of the 4V(depending on the drivers) in the 1/4 and it keeps pulling.:eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't know about going to a 4V from a 2V, but do know about coming from a 350 IROC. Major disappointment in the low end grunt area, but the 4V comes to life around 4,000 rpm and never quits, easily leaving the IROC in the dust after making it through the intersection!! What's amazing bout the IROC is that it can toast the Cobra off the line and it only has 2.73 gears, to my Cobra's 3.73 gears.

I figure with the addition of the KB to be released in 04, I'll get the feel of the 350 back plus retain the high end breathing capability of the 4V. Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
What mods were on the IROC besides 69 more cubic inches than the 4.6?
I dont know that a stock IROC could smoke an 02 Cobra out of the hole, let alone the 03 with traction. Erics 02 is strong off the line(stock). Did the late model Camaros really come with 2.73s? Better yet what is the final gear ratio of both cars through the transmission in all gears?

Did you change the rear gears in the 03 Cobra?...they came with 3.55s

I have seen Camaros and they are quick off the start beside any car that spins even a little, but traction being equal they are not so great.

Don't get me wrong, I like any performance car......just being inquisitive....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm referring to my 99 Cobra, which is completely stock. My stock 350 could easily take the Cobra off the line and partly through the intersection, completely stock. Of course, the Camaro is no match to the 03 Cobra... My Cobra had 3.73s at the time. When I had 4.30s and Bassani exhaust on the Cobra, I think the Camaro would've been toast off the line, assuming of course I had traction. You're right though, the problem with the Cobra is that it lacks traction where the Camaro you can pretty much just stomp on it and it goes. That is probably what is giving the Camaro the edge. Not to mention that it's an automatic and very consistent off the line. Also, I think that the 1st gear ratio in the Camaro is slightly numerically higher than the Cobra's T45, so final drive in the Camaro may be a little closer to the Cobra. So couple that along with the massive torque of the 350, and you can see how it would take a stock Cobra off the line, even though it was a whole second slower in the 1/4 mile than the Cobra.

The standard gears in the 89 IROC was 2.73. I think there was a higher performance option that had 3.45s or something...

The 03 Cobras comes stock with 3.55s and that's what I have on the Cobra now since I just swapped in a complete rear end from an 03 Cobra that went with a solid axle. I'm also putting in the T56 6speed.

Most of the 3rd gen Camaros you've seen were probably 305s which are pretty weak. If the 350s are running good, they are very strong off the line, no doubt..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts