Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expert thoughts on this. For the first time since doing many mods I have taken my car out to run it. And it is definitely faster....however I have a delima. Since I am now getting really good traction I have noticed a loud pop coming from the rear end, (as if something is slamming into the floorboard) when I nail second. A friend of mine rode in the car and said he thought the pinion snubber was coming up and slamming into the floorboard. Does this sound right? I am installing the Granatelli upper and lower control arms tomorrow. I am hoping this will help. Let me know what you think before I go tearing into the rear suspension.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My buddie's camero is having that prob, kinda. Every time he slams gears, it feels like someone is kicking the car in the butt. He don't know what is causing it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
twokingsracer said:
I need some expert thoughts on this. For the first time since doing many mods I have taken my car out to run it. And it is definitely faster....however I have a delima. Since I am now getting really good traction I have noticed a loud pop coming from the rear end, (as if something is slamming into the floorboard) when I nail second. A friend of mine rode in the car and said he thought the pinion snubber was coming up and slamming into the floorboard. Does this sound right? I am installing the Granatelli upper and lower control arms tomorrow. I am hoping this will help. Let me know what you think before I go tearing into the rear suspension.
More info on the car would be useful - year, mileage & any mods done to it for starters.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1997 GT
Mods: 4.10's, Ripper shifter, Nitto 555R's, C&L 80mm MAF w/Trueflow inlet pipe and K&N in the fender, MAC 70mm TB, King Cobra clutch with adj. cable and aluminum quadrant, MAC O/R H pipe and dumps, Flowmaster Series 40's, Superchip.

Bought but not yet on... Steeda 48" weld in SFC's, Granatelli solid upper and lower control arms, underdrive pulleys, battery relocation kit, and PI cams. 74,000 miles.

·
Registered
885 Posts
twokingsracer said:
1997 GT
Mods: 4.10's, Ripper shifter, Nitto 555R's, C&L 80mm MAF w/Trueflow inlet pipe and K&N in the fender, MAC 70mm TB, King Cobra clutch with adj. cable and aluminum quadrant, MAC O/R H pipe and dumps, Flowmaster Series 40's, Superchip.

Bought but not yet on... Steeda 48" weld in SFC's, Granatelli solid upper and lower control arms, underdrive pulleys, battery relocation kit, and PI cams. 74,000 miles.
Ok, some things to look for are:

Loose rear sway bar.
Cracked rear shock towers (best seen from inside trunk.)
Worn upper or lower control arm bushings.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Angus...hopefully I will know by tomorrow afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts